Hassan Diarra Commits to Texas A&M

KDB

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, T-Free20 said:

61 comments on his post, and every single one is from an IU fan! You guys gotta check it out 😂

When in Athens his post had 49 likes on twitter. His post last night when in Bloomington had 2200+ and counting. Ultimately it comes down to playing time,etc...but any kid has to take notice of that differential in today's world. 

His coach could not have been any more effusive in his praise for this kid when I talked to him yesterday.

"He’s probably the mentally toughest kid we’ve ever had in our program, and physically one of the toughest as well.  The kid is really special.”

Diarra really seems to fit the rest of this 2020 class that Archie has assembled.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/class-of-2020-iu-basketball-recruit-profile-pages-hassan-diarra/

8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

His coach could not have been any more effusive in his praise for this kid when I talked to him yesterday.

"He’s probably the mentally toughest kid we’ve ever had in our program, and physically one of the toughest as well.  The kid is really special.”

Diarra really seems to fit the rest of this 2020 class that Archie has assembled.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/class-of-2020-iu-basketball-recruit-profile-pages-hassan-diarra/

Guess Archie wasn't messing around when he said 4-6 was a possibility for this class. I like talent and love hard nosed players. This kid seems to match both. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

All this talk of moving Al to back up the point is it to get us to Lander because we think we will miss out on our pg recruits.

Another point of view is that are moving him to point beacause the 19-20 team needs an additional one and it allows Green to play off of the ball.  It also is because AI has the skills to protect the ball under pressure.

You can never have enough pg and in todays basketball those guards can play multiple positions usually 1-3.  

No matter how many pg IU has Lander is always going to recruited hard with the expectation of playing.

Yogi signed on to play a year with Jordy, etc.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Kid looked thick, like a Remy Abel type body but with longer arms. I was trying to get better photo's but Bruiser walked toward me to say hello.

28 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Kid looked thick, like a Remy Abel type body but with longer arms. I was trying to get better photo's but Bruiser walked toward me to say hello.

Yeah I didnt realize his length/size until I watched him play. Taller than the listed 6'2", bigger than listed 180. Long arms too. Really versatile player. 

3 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah I didnt realize his length/size until I watched him play. Taller than the listed 6'2", bigger than listed 180. Long arms too. Really versatile player. 

Yes I think you put him and Jordan on the defensive end and you could have two ball stoppers. Both have the length, size, and strength to give guys fits. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If I had to just go by his comments on the schools it sounds like Texas A&m

I agree.

He mentions A&M’s style of play and chance to play right away. If those are his primary concerns I can see him being hesitant about having Rob around for two more years and the possibility of Lander also being added.  Who knows but I’d bet (with zero inside info) on A&M.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm calling you "Zapruder" from now on.

I woukd make a "grassy knoll" reference but out of fear of going off topic and instigating a conspiracy theory discussion I will refrain.

With that said I have heard nothing on his visit and seeing nothing new here seems very odd.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I woukd make a "grassy knoll" reference but out of fear of going off topic and instigating a conspiracy theory discussion I will refrain.

With that said I have heard nothing on his visit and seeing nothing new here seems very odd.

Yes, oddly quiet......

A complete guess, but my guess is we don't land this one for the main reason of the crowded backcourt situation. 

We know Phinisee is going to get a ton of playing time and there is the prospect of Lander and the following class. Then add on the competition at the combo guard/wing spot with Durham, Franklin, Leal, Galloway, Anderson, Hunter, and Geronimo. Some of those guys are wings and some are more combo guards, but they're all in that wing (2/3) spot. It's just getting pretty crowded. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A complete guess, but my guess is we don't land this one for the main reason of the crowded backcourt situation. 

We know Phinisee is going to get a ton of playing time and there is the prospect of Lander and the following class. Then add on the competition at the combo guard/wing spot with Durham, Franklin, Leal, Galloway, Anderson, Hunter, and Geronimo. Some of those guys are wings and some are more combo guards, but they're all in that wing (2/3) spot. It's just getting pretty crowded. 

I don't think we get him either and from the interview I saw I think it will be Texas A&M

The roster situation was already known before he came for his official visit.  So he at least had us in the running regardless.  

I agree that there's no smoke here.  Possible he got annoyed/overwhelmed with the twitter response?  Or maybe he just connects with Texas A&M.  Or maybe he really, really loved it, and wants to debut his pics at the center court wall when he commits.  

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

The roster situation was already known before he came for his official visit.  So he at least had us in the running regardless.  

I agree that there's no smoke here.  Possible he got annoyed/overwhelmed with the twitter response?  Or maybe he just connects with Texas A&M.  Or maybe he really, really loved it, and wants to debut his pics at the center court wall when he commits.  

He does have IU in the running regardless. I'm just saying my guess is that the roster is a big reason that keeps us from winning this one. Again, just my guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JugRox said:

How hard is it to find a shooter in Indiana?!?

:)

how different would this team be this year with even a Zeisloft running around?

I'm hopeful that IU has 2-3 shooters in the 40% range this season, but yeah...you'd think shooters would be out there.  I get that you need athleticism to play good D-1 ball, but just off my recollection, Diarra had some of the poorest shooting statistics of any guard IU was following.  Maybe he's an Oladipo and really improves his shot, but I've never been super-excited about this particular prospect.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm hopeful that IU has 2-3 shooters in the 40% range this season, but yeah...you'd think shooters would be out there.  I get that you need athleticism to play good D-1 ball, but just off my recollection, Diarra had some of the poorest shooting statistics of any guard IU was following.  Maybe he's an Oladipo and really improves his shot, but I've never been super-excited about this particular prospect.

Diarra would be more in the UM Simpson camp of how he would play. An attacking, physical pg that will mix it up and get to the basket. His biggest upside was his size and physical attributes to defend. No doubt he is not going to hang around the 3pt line but rather an attacking guard. I agree he likely is not going to end up here but there are other pgs that weren’t strong shooters we were on and if I had to take one I’d rather get the physical bulldog.

Archived