Hassan Diarra Commits to Texas A&M

KDB

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nonsense about Archie struggling with out of state recruiting is about as contrived, weak, useless and meaningless criticism out there.  Archie missed on Brooks.  That’s the one, and everyone misses on recruits.  The others are what they are, nothing unusual, and certainly nothing to stand and hold your breath about like a four year old.  

And this particular class isn’t even done yet.  I’m all for legitimate debate but let’s function in coherent discussion that makes sense.  Archie’s issue isn’t recruiting.  He was helpless when they lost 12 out of 13.  That’s essentially strike one.  He didn’t make adjustments, use the bench, pull out great tactics, etc.  He pulls anything close to that again and fans will bail on him en masse.  Once that happens it’s a matter of when he’s gone, not if he’s gone.  If there is anywhere to be concerned it’s that, not whether he pulled out Lester Quinones.  Give me a break.  

Archie so far has landed three kids who I really wanted.  If he can land some go-to type talent around them in 2020 and 2021, this can be a sustainable model, where we avoid the highly volatile results of his predecessor.  

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  I'm not sure where the idea IU is pushing Lander to reclass came from.  It's my understanding that Louisville talked to Lander about it first.  At that point, it's only logical he would have the same conversation with IU.  

And, yeah, maybe his AAU teammates, Leal and Galloway, have got on board with the idea, but does anyone actually believe Archie is pressuring the kid to do it.  I sure don't think that's the case.

It was Louisville first. The dad communicated that to CAM and Archie asked if there was interest in doing so. The Landers know that Archie is doing everything in his power to ensure that the floor will be open for PT upon arrival.

13 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I think we are fine at PG. 

Next year: Rob, Al, and Armann (has been mentioned he will play some point)

Year after: Rob, Armann, and Lander (hopefully). 

Rob will play huge minutes. So I am not too worried about PG depth at this point. 

you can't throw lander in there to bolster your position we are fine at point guard. 

7 hours ago, coachv said:

you can't throw lander in there to bolster your position we are fine at point guard. 

Indeed but I think there are other pgs included in Indiana that could back up the point Robs senior year and then be ready to start as a sophomore. Hopefully not to mention a 5 star or high 4 star that would love to follow up Rob in 2022 outside the state. I worry about it too...but if Al can handle the duties as a backup...then we should be ok. Let’s see how this year goes. We have Al for 2 more years..that would go a long way to making me feel ok in 2020 when Green is gone. Plus we got Armaan would be a Junior in 2021 so hopefully he can help them too. 2022 we have to have someone ready to take over. I prefer to have them on the roster by 21 though.

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The nonsense about Archie struggling with out of state recruiting is about as contrived, weak, useless and meaningless criticism out there.  Archie missed on Brooks.  That’s the one, and everyone misses on recruits.  The others are what they are, nothing unusual, and certainly nothing to stand and hold your breath about like a four year old.  

And this particular class isn’t even done yet.  I’m all for legitimate debate but let’s function in coherent discussion that makes sense.  Archie’s issue isn’t recruiting.  He was helpless when they lost 12 out of 13.  That’s essentially strike one.  He didn’t make adjustments, use the bench, pull out great tactics, etc.  He pulls anything close to that again and fans will bail on him en masse.  Once that happens it’s a matter of when he’s gone, not if he’s gone.  If there is anywhere to be concerned it’s that, not whether he pulled out Lester Quinones.  Give me a break.  

Archie so far has landed three kids who I really wanted.  If he can land some go-to type talent around them in 2020 and 2021, this can be a sustainable model, where we avoid the highly volatile results of his predecessor.  

in miller's defense, there were several times i have witnessed a look of frustration or disgust on his face over poor play on the floor. he starts down the bench to grab a sub and checks up, realizing he doesn't have anybody worth putting in. 

12 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

It was Louisville first. The dad communicated that to CAM and Archie asked if there was interest in doing so. The Landers know that Archie is doing everything in his power to ensure that the floor will be open for PT upon arrival.

do you have inside info?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Indeed but I think there are other pgs included in Indiana that could back up the point Robs senior year and then be ready to start as a sophomore. Hopefully not to mention a 5 star or high 4 star that would love to follow up Rob in 2022 outside the state. I worry about it too...but if Al can handle the duties as a backup...then we should be ok. Let’s see how this year goes. We have Al for 2 more years..that would go a long way to making me feel ok in 2020 when Green is gone. Plus we got Armaan would be a Junior in 2021 so hopefully he can help them too. 2022 we have to have someone ready to take over. I prefer to have them on the roster by 21 though.

one point guard is not enough. we are good as long as phinisee does not get injured or have to sit for long stretches with foul trouble. lose rob to a season ending injury and i think miller moves green back to the point. not convinced durham is a big ten caliber point. i think miller is trying to develop him there to coincide with his decision to move green to full time shooting guard, a la carsen edwards. i don't know about franklin as i have never seen him play beyond a few highlights. speaking of edwards, did you see he dropped EIGHT 3 pointers in a five minute stretch in a pre-season game this week? a 26 point quarter. wow

4 minutes ago, coachv said:

one point guard is not enough. we are good as long as phinisee does not get injured or have to sit for long stretches with foul trouble. lose rob to a season ending injury and i think miller moves green back to the point. not convinced durham is a big ten caliber point. i think miller is trying to develop him there to coincide with his decision to move green to full time shooting guard, a la carsen edwards. i don't know about franklin as i have never seen him play beyond a few highlights. speaking of edwards, did you see he dropped EIGHT 3 pointers in a five minute stretch in a pre-season game this week? a 26 point quarter. wow

It was preseason...and he can also brick 8 in a row. Depends on the night. Highly talented but needs volume and in the nba it’s about being efficient with your usage.

38 minutes ago, coachv said:

in miller's defense, there were several times i have witnessed a look of frustration or disgust on his face over poor play on the floor. he starts down the bench to grab a sub and checks up, realizing he doesn't have anybody worth putting in. 

That’s what Crean left him. He had a bunch of freshman, injured guys, and walk ons last year...not much else. He went out in 19 and landed a burger boy, a true 5 that can bang and will help us immediately, and a combo guard that can help right away because he prides himself on his defense. The miss on the Ketchup kid hurts I ain’t going to lie. No one and I don’t think even Archie saw that coming. That said Hunter will fill Brooks role. He has since gone out in 20 and brought in two excellent, smart, hard nosed wings and also landed the fastest rising SF in the class. Had Jordan had more time I truly think he would have been another top 50 kid. He just ran out of summer. I am confident Archie can land a point guard if he wants. Heck we have two or three more solid ones in the state for 21 in Blackmon, Brown, and Thompson perhaps and who knows if a late bloomer comes on. I’m more concerned on continuing to land bigs than guards. There will always be an abundance of guards that can play in the state of Indiana. Do I worry...sure I’d love to be grooming one on the roster right now but in college basketball today top recruits want to play right away...and because of the rise of the mid major you can play anywhere and make the NBA. Look at Ja Morant down here in Murray.

20 minutes ago, coachv said:

Yes..we have two on the roster now...Green and Rob...with Al and Armaan being groomed to slide over a few minutes a game. I venture to say any year we lose our starting pg is going to be a rough year. As the roster matures and Archie gets his guys in place I believe you will see better depth...he just needs time.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t get the hand wringing over “missing” on this one.  A team isn’t going anywhere with guards that can’t shoot.

Yeah, certainly some positive skills, but some real questions as well

Evaluation

Solid size with long arms for a point guard. Plays with strength. Not overly athletic and has a herky-jerky style. Show good change of pace and a burst. Good penetrator and distributor. Can make difficult and unorthodox shots but doesn't shoot a high percentage. Has good overall instincts. Rebounds his position well and gets steals.

Archived