Hassan Diarra Commits to Texas A&M

KDB

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

College basketball has just changed so much over the last 30 years and to make that blanket statement now is probably not correct.  To me the top of college basketball has dropped down more of the level of the middle and bottom tier teams so it is way more competitive now than it was back then.  30 years ago you would have never out UVA, Villanova or UW in our category as well but things changed and now they are top programs today.

Come on, man...IU is a far better basketball program than Georgia.  That may not hold true in the future, but I feel comfortable saying that today.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Come on, man...IU is a far better basketball program than Georgia.  That may not hold true in the future, but I feel comfortable saying that today.

What have we really done in the last 25 years to make us feel so entitled and act like it is something that is given to you.  I have been alive for 3 of our championships and I am very proud of those but we have not won since 87 so I don't feel so entitled to think we should just be on that level of program.

Just now, IU Scott said:

What have we really done in the last 25 years to make us feel so entitled and act like it is something that is given to you.  I have been alive for 3 of our championships and I am very proud of those but we have not won since 87 so I don't feel so entitled to think we should just be on that level of program.

I'm not saying IU has lived up to it's legacy in recent history.  I'm saying it's done more than Georgia and way more if you consider the entire history of the programs.  You're getting hung up on the fact that we haven't kept up with the Dukes and UNCs of the basketball world.  I get that.  It's not the argument I'm making.  Georgia basketball is a pretty low hurdle.

...and lose the attitude...I'm older than you.  I understand all about entitlement.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not saying IU has lived up to it's legacy in recent history.  I'm saying it's done more than Georgia and way more if you consider the entire history of the programs.  You're getting hung up on the fact that we haven't kept up with the Dukes and UNCs of the basketball world.  I get that.  It's not the argument I'm making.  Georgia basketball is a pretty low hurdle.

...and lose the attitude...I'm older than you.  I understand all about entitlement.

My original point was that just because we were recruiting the same players does not make that player unworthy for IU to recruit.  Georgia did get the 2nd ranked player in the 20 class and most thought he would go to UK

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Recruiting doesn’t follow program prestige as much as it did in the past. Former number one players have chosen: LSU, Washington, Missouri, and as of last year Georgia over blue bloods. Many of those cases it did NOT translate to on court success  

Priority for most recruits is how quickly they can get into the NBA. Bringing it back to the player of discussion, this is why Crean is utilizing the NBA tactic in his recruiting pitch. 

IU needs to capitalize on 2-4 year players, because the recruiting landscape will be changing soon with the removal of one and done rule. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My original point was that just because we were recruiting the same players does not make that player unworthy for IU to recruit.  Georgia did get the 2nd ranked player in the 20 class and most thought he would go to UK

I get that.  Crean started off pretty hot at IU as well.  He was helped with being a local option with a proven history of sending guys to the NBA.  Georgia as a program, though, still has a lot to prove.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I get that.  Crean started off pretty hot at IU as well.  He was helped with being a local option with a proven history of sending guys to the NBA.  Georgia as a program, though, still has a lot to prove.

How the program is doing really doesn't matter to some recruits today and like Doc said in above post top players have been picking schools like LSU and Washington

NotIThatLives brought up an interesting question that I am not certain has been addressed here yet.

This kid is being recruited by two coaches whose programs are about polar opposites of each other. 

One tries to win by merely outscoring its opponents. Defense is an afterthought.

The other tries to play lock down defense and a more structured offense.

Imo, I find it unusual that a kid would be interested in two playing styles that vary to the extreme these two do.

Certainly, Crean's style appears to be the more fun one, at least on face value. I believe CAM will turn out a more well rounded player however.

Just my 2 cents worth. Will be worth watching the direction this kid goes. 

22 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Recruiting doesn’t follow program prestige as much as it did in the past. Former number one players have chosen: LSU, Washington, Missouri, and as of last year Georgia over blue bloods. Many of those cases it did NOT translate to on court success  

Priority for most recruits is how quickly they can get into the NBA. Bringing it back to the player of discussion, this is why Crean is utilizing the NBA tactic in his recruiting pitch. 

IU needs to capitalize on 2-4 year players, because the recruiting landscape will be changing soon with the removal of one and done rule. 

Agree 100%.

Most of the players today don't care that much about program history or legacy. Of the coach they're committing to sure, and obviously there can be a lot of crossover there (Duke/Coach K), but a top recruit isn't going to Kentucky to play in an arena named after a racist if they care more about program legacy than about the coach they think can get them to the NBA in one year. 

9 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

Removal of the 1 & done is exciting to me.  I'd love to see it further improved by requiring at least at 2-year stay if you choose college., but I'm a realist...unlikely we see that anytime soon, if ever.  Those two changes would dramatically reduce the number of kids playing college ball solely as a mechanism to get to the NBA.

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How the program is doing really doesn't matter to some recruits today and like Doc said in above post top players have been picking schools like LSU and Washington

Sure, some do...but most want to win.  For every Ben Simmons, there are ten other kids choosing Duke/Kentucky to get to the NBA, AND have a chance to win in college.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

NotIThatLives brought up an interesting question that I am not certain has been addressed here yet.

This kid is being recruited by two coaches whose programs are about polar opposites of each other. 

One tries to win by merely outscoring its opponents. Defense is an afterthought.

The other tries to play lock down defense and a more structured offense.

Imo, I find it unusual that a kid would be interested in two playing styles that vary to the extreme these two do.

Certainly, Crean's style appears to be the more fun one, at least on face value. I believe CAM will turn out a more well rounded player however.

Just my 2 cents worth. Will be worth watching the direction this kid goes. 

It is interesting from a recruit-player perspective, but while playing style is important there’s also playing time — how much they’ll see as a frosh, and to many others player development for the NBA is equally important.

As to the well-rounded player, guys like Vic, OG, Cody, Yogi, Bryant et al are in the NBA. Individual player development under Crean is a strength of his.

I’m interested to see how well CAM develops players at IU, including for the NBA, going forward. That will factor into recruiting 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, IU Scott said:

Oh good lord...GEORGIA?!! Lol. Come on. 

11 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Oh good lord...GEORGIA?!! Lol. Come on. 

Didn't we win Geronimo and Crean was on him? I'm not worried about Georgia on this particular recruit. I worry more about a team like Dayton actually. I think their pgs are mostly upper classman and I see him getting playing time right away. We project him to be more of a back up for the next few years. At the moment it seems Texas A&M is the hottest on him. Buzz must have made some connections while he was back at Virginia Tech.

Archived