Hassan Diarra Commits to Texas A&M

KDB

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It's amazing how little muscle definition he had for a Power 5 scholarship player.  I wouldn't normally be so mean about it, but he absorbed a scholarship which makes it fair game.

That was probably the thing I disliked the most about him.  It was very obvious that he didn't care and never spent a moment in the gym.  If I was Archie I would've Creaned him the day I was hired.  

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

That was probably the thing I disliked the most about him.  It was very obvious that he didn't care and never spent a moment in the gym.  If I was Archie I would've Creaned him the day I was hired.  

If that was the case why didn’t we kick him off the team for not following the work out guidelines etc. You can’t just refuse to go to mandatory lifting and practice. Don’t get me wrong he may have put in the bare minimum but I know one IU coach who would have ran his @ss off until he voluntarily quit....or was our APR so low we had to keep him?

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So let's Crean him from this thread...whataya say?  The guy was a total goof that I prefer not to see.....EVER!!

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If he reclassifies, but redshirts, he's still essentially 2020.  Lander is 2021.  Rob will still be here for his Senior season.  That's a crowd at PG.  None of those guys are going to want to be 3rd string.

I know as a coach you have to seize opportunity, but I think signing a true point in '19 or '20 impacts the chances you have to get Lander.

Archie from what I am told likes to play two points. Makes it easier to push the offense. 

That comes from a Dayton fan btw

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If that was the case why didn’t we kick him off the team for not following the work out guidelines etc. You can’t just refuse to go to mandatory lifting and practice. Don’t get me wrong he may have put in the bare minimum but I know one IU coach who would have ran his @ss off until he voluntarily quit....or was our APR so low we had to keep him?

Amen.  This was an enormous bad joke.  Crean at his worst...which was ugly.

One of the big things in recruiting that we, as fans, are in the dark about, is the kid's makeup.  We don't get to know them and understand work ethic, mentality, character, etc.  It's hard for us to know beyond what the press gives us.  But, to really understand these factors, a coach would likely need to know a player for awhile, see some ups and downs, etc.  Everybody has some downs, including MJ, Lebron, et al.  But reacting to the negative can tell you alot about somebody's makeup.  Here, Crean took a flyer on a 6'9 kid who he apparently saw shoot well.  As fans, we saw low rebounding numbers and no significant offers.  If Crean weren't desperate after some poor planning for contingencies, this never would have happened.  Even then, if Crean had a chance to know him better, it never would have happened.

Bringing this back to topic, this young man Hassan Diarra seems like quite the opposite, a kid with toughness and an edge.  While we can't know that as fans directly, we can go off media reports.

This kid reminds me with his build and relentless take it at you of a Mateen Cleeves. Not the alleged rapist but the bulldog pg he was before. Pair him with some shooters he could do quite well. My only issue with playing two pgs is I don’t like having two smaller guards on the floor together for defensive and rebounding purposes but I think this kid would hold his own. He isn’t going to get overpowered.

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I never thought we would battle Crean for recruits. Georgia and Indiana shouldn’t be in the same sentence when it comes to basketball.

Maybe, but Georgia is a sleeping giant. If someone were ever to lock down that state's b'ball talent, it would be a perennial top 5/top 10 team. (Un)fortunately, the Butts-Meer folk only speak one language (football).

42 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I never thought we would battle Crean for recruits. Georgia and Indiana shouldn’t be in the same sentence when it comes to basketball.

However, there IS an IU connection.  Though I was ready for a change.  I can't root against Crean. For me, it is not Georgia vs IU. But a current IU coach vs a former IU HC.

7 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I hate to be the one that points this out, but you just put them in the same sentence.  :coffee:

On 5/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

It's amazing how little muscle definition he had for a Power 5 scholarship player.  I wouldn't normally be so mean about it, but he absorbed a scholarship which makes it fair game.

Looks like he had enough muscles for parties. He was a lucky kid; he came to IU at the right time for himself. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Why is that because they are in one of the top conferences and is the state university tat produces a lot of top recruits.

It was just a grammatical correction to satisfy Fouls, not a rock-solid position of mine, but yes, I do feel like IU should be recognized as a far superior basketball program when compared to Georgia.  Football, yes, is a different story.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It was just a grammatical correction to satisfy Fouls, not a rock-solid position of mine, but yes, I do feel like IU should be recognized as a far superior basketball program when compared to Georgia.  Football, yes, is a different story.

College basketball has just changed so much over the last 30 years and to make that blanket statement now is probably not correct.  To me the top of college basketball has dropped down more of the level of the middle and bottom tier teams so it is way more competitive now than it was back then.  30 years ago you would have never out UVA, Villanova or UW in our category as well but things changed and now they are top programs today.

Archived