Micheal Lewis hired at UCLA

3 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I would have liked him at Indiana. Would be  a real benefit for recruiting in Indiana. I think anywho

Who knows who Michael Lewis is these days?  Besides that, those IU teams he played on were the downfall of Knight.  Not being harsh, but Mike was there.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Who knows who Michael Lewis is these days?  Besides that, those IU teams he played on were the downfall of Knight.  Not being harsh, but Mike was there.

He had a lot of positive things to say when a Nebraska was in town last year. Having spent some time at Butler I would think he is well connected in the state just my opinion 

21 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He had a lot of positive things to say when a Nebraska was in town last year. Having spent some time at Butler I would think he is well connected in the state just my opinion 

Perhaps...perhaps not.  I dunno.  

I don’t think Archie needs help with in-state recruits. If he is authentic and puts in time with the better coaches of the state...when the coach of IU calls kids will sit up and listen. I’d rather have some connections through some other avenues. I think we all would like a connection to the Knight days but if we win games IU should have enough cache to get who they want.

Just now, dgambill said:

I don’t think Archie needs help with in-state recruits. If he is authentic and puts in time with the better coaches of the state...when the coach of IU calls kids will sit up and listen. I’d rather have some connections through some other avenues. I think we all would like a connection to the Knight days but if we win games IU should have enough cache to get who they want.

I don’t know I think Calbert , Lewis , Guyton , Greg Graham would be good additions to an IU staff. I would like to see some of them get involved 

I'm with Rico on this. Lewis may have relationships with area coaches, but is he a huge draw for the kids themselves? He wasn't well known outside of our fan base and didn't have an NBA career. If you want to say that Cheaney should have a role like that, I agree.

And I could be dead wrong, but it's not an easy assumption that he would be a good recruiter in-state just because he is Michael Lewis.

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm with Rico on this. Lewis may have relationships with area coaches, but is he a huge draw for the kids themselves? He wasn't well known outside of our fan base and didn't have an NBA career. If you want to say that Cheaney should have a role like that, I agree.

And I could be dead wrong, but it's not an easy assumption that he would be a good recruiter in-state just because he is Michael Lewis.

I don’t care if we have an nba guy on staff or not. I really don’t want any oad or players who only care about getting to the nba. 

So UCLA hires a guy from Cincy, who hires an assistant with strong midwest roots.....to figure out the AAU circuit of Southern California? I wish Lewis the best. Always been a fan but I'm not sure this Cronin experiment is going to work well. You think our AAU coaches and high school basketball coaches are sensitive in Indiana? SoCal is similar if not worse. 

18 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don’t care if we have an nba guy on staff or not. I really don’t want any oad or players who only care about getting to the nba. 

Has nothing to do with OADs or "only" about getting to the NBA. Out of all High level recruits, 90%+ have aspirations of playing professionally at some point. Doesn't mean they also don't value education or enjoy playing in college. Having a somewhat younger coach that's had extensive pro experience gives them someone to connect with on that level. Someone who has been to where they want to be, and has been there recently.

I completely agree with you on the point of not wanting coaches selling players on "I can get you to the league in one year." But having a coach that can say "I know what it takes to be a pro basketball player, and I can help you work on getting to that level." is valuable.

Every kid Indiana recruits has pro aspirations. Hell, Juwan Morgan said that's been his objective since high school, and he fits most peoples definition of the "ideal" college player. Wanting to play professionally doesn't automatically mean a kid is going to be lazy/selfish/whatever. In most cases, it's those pro aspirations that motivate them. Having someone on staff who has done it is relateable, and helps form that connection.

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

oad or players who only care about getting to the nba. 

Question for the board.  

Are One and dones different than guys that want to get to the league at any cost, whether it be 2, 3, or 4 years?

Some really love Thomas Bryant but even he told Juwan to hurry up and get to the league as fast as possible.   But most really loathe Vonleh.   Most love Romeo but from all accounts had even told the IU staff the plan from the get go was one and done.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Question for the board.  

Are One and dones different than guys that want to get to the league at any cost, whether it be 2, 3, or 4 years?

Some really love Thomas Bryant but even he told Juwan to hurry up and get to the league as fast as possible.   But most really loathe Vonleh.   Most love Romeo but from all accounts had even told the IU staff the plan from the get go was one and done.  

I don't want guys main focus being getting to the NBA as fast as they can.  If by playing well in college they get the opportunity to go to the NBA that is what I want.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Question for the board.  

I suspect Vonleh got bad press for shutting it down early.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Question for the board.  

Thomas Bryant may have had a eye on the NBA, but the young man genuinly cared about winning while he was at IU.  He busted his ass competing for the Cream and Crimson.  Noah Vonleh did not bust his ass.

Thanks for the responses.  All valid and true.  

Don't we need future pro material to win at the highest level?  Does it seem this board looks down upon those that don't fit their definition of college athlete?  I always though CTC had the right idea, target heavily those that are ranked 25-75.  He just wasn't able to put them all together and keep them balanced and healthy.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thanks for the responses.  All valid and true.  

Don't we need future pro material to win at the highest level?  Does it seem this board looks down upon those that don't fit their definition of college athlete?  I always though CTC had the right idea, target heavily those that are ranked 25-75.  He just wasn't able to put them all together and keep them balanced and healthy.  

I must have a reading problem because no one said anything about not needing talent to win.  You asked about one and done type players who only is using college as a stepping stone.  If a player comes here and works his butt of and leaves after 2 or 3 years because he got better then I am all for it.  What I don't want are players who are only coming to college because they have to and don't give much effort and just is out to get his stats.  Last time I checked that UVA and Villanova has more championships in the last 10 years than Duke and UK combine so I rather have their talent than the one and done style.

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I must have a reading problem because no one said anything about not needing talent to win.  You asked about one and done type players who only is using college as a stepping stone.  If a player comes here and works his butt of and leaves after 2 or 3 years because he got better then I am all for it.  What I don't want are players who are only coming to college because they have to and don't give much effort and just is out to get his stats.  Last time I checked that UVA and Villanova has more championships in the last 10 years than Duke and UK combine so I rather have their talent than the one and done style.

I know you are not naive enough to think that these guys ranked 25-75 don't live, eat, sleep, drink basketball with the number 1 goal of getting to the NBA.   Now that I stated the obvious, Virginia and Nova both have been stocking up those types of recruits.  

So why is it some are so hard on kids trying to go pro, whether they are good enough immediately, or it takes precious time on the college clock and dime.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know you are not naive enough to think that these guys ranked 25-75 don't live, eat, sleep, drink basketball with the number 1 goal of getting to the NBA.   Now that I stated the obvious, Virginia and Nova both have been stocking up those types of recruits.  

So why is it some are so hard on kids trying to go pro, whether they are good enough immediately, or it takes precious time on the college clock and dime.

I just don't want one and done players on our team and if you look at all 3 that we had what good did they bring IU basketball.  I hope they eat, drink and sleep basketball and if they play hard and focus on our team then there is no problem but I have seen to many one and done players in college that is only out for themselves.

Archived