OT Bloomington trip

I need recommendations for hotels, restaurants,  and things to see with my family. We're driving up from Birmingham on our way to Fort Wayne for a family reunion Father's Day weekend. We'll have Thursday evening and Friday morning to look at things.

Obviously want to take them to see sports facilities and walk around campus. Any hotel or restaurant recommendations?  My kids are 11, and twin 7 year olds.

I haven't been back to campus in 20 years, so I'm sure much has changed. Pretty sure the kids won't want to make the walk I made daily from Briscoe Gucker to Ballantine Hall!

Call the number in this link to see if they can schedule a campus tour for you and your family :

Campus Tours: Indiana University Bloomington

As far as food is concerned, I would go for something hard to find in most of the rest of this great country of ours.  A Hot Strom from Nick's. 

And in Fort Wayne, a Powers Burger would be on my agenda . 

I recommend staying at The Graduate downtown. My wife and I had a great time in January despite suffering thru the Mich game.  Walked to Uptown Cafe just a block and a half away and had a great breakfast.  Had a great lunch at Bub's Burger as well.  When in Ft. Wayne, don't forget Coney Island!  Have a great trip.  

47 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I recommend staying at The Graduate downtown. My wife and I had a great time in January despite suffering thru the Mich game.  Walked to Uptown Cafe just a block and a half away and had a great breakfast.  Had a great lunch at Bub's Burger as well.  When in Ft. Wayne, don't forget Coney Island!  Have a great trip.  

Thanks for the recommendations. Love Coney Island!  We usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott that connects to the baseball stadium and walk everywhere downtown.  Looking forward to getting back to the Fort!

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Call the number in this link to see if they can schedule a campus tour for you and your family :

Campus Tours: Indiana University Bloomington

As far as food is concerned, I would go for something hard to find in most of the rest of this great country of ours.  A Hot Strom from Nick's. 

And in Fort Wayne, a Powers Burger would be on my agenda . 

Great idea on the tour and strom.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I need recommendations for hotels, restaurants,  and things to see with my family. We're driving up from Birmingham on our way to Fort Wayne for a family reunion Father's Day weekend. We'll have Thursday evening and Friday morning to look at things.

Obviously want to take them to see sports facilities and walk around campus. Any hotel or restaurant recommendations?  My kids are 11, and twin 7 year olds.

I haven't been back to campus in 20 years, so I'm sure much has changed. Pretty sure the kids won't want to make the walk I made daily from Briscoe Gucker to Ballantine Hall!

This is just my personal bias because I got married there...but given the kids, long car ride,etc....check out Four Winds Resort just South of Bloomington. Couple of onsite restaurants, pools....boat and jet ski rentals,etc...

Great place to stay (get Lakeside rooms) and you can head into Bloomington on Friday morning for a walk around. Kids aren't big on nostalgia. Best of both worlds. Pools, Lake Monroe....while you get to walk campus on Friday. Have fun!

6 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

How is Buffalouie's?  I'm a wings guy, but they didn't have it when I was there.

Never have eaten there as Buffalouies.  But I would try to make some time out if I ever make it back to B-town.  I actually ate in the building when it was the Gables, as a student. Place is chock full of history.

Been reading the review on line.  And they are almost always very good.

buffalouies 

Campus Eats did a segment about a year ago.

Campus Eats: Spicy - Buffalouie's 

As far as my recommendation of Powers while in Fort Wayne.  Well it was a coin flip between Powers and Coney Island.  Can't go wrong either way.

IU grad still living/working in Bloomington (I lucked out). Hotels - There are are a bunch of new ones downtown that fit the bill for comfort/convenience. I kind of like the Spring Hill Suites downtown. It's newish, clean, comfortable, etc. Same with the Hyatt a few blocks down. Restaurants-I've been really into the Social Cantina lately. It's a casual/fresh taco/tequila bar that is family friendly (sounds weird, but true). Great food and drinks. Of course, I have to put a plug in for the Uptown Cafe, which has been there forever (I worked there for years), but have expanded their bar and seating. Should be easy to get a seat during the summer. Walk down the B-Line trail to Hopscotch Coffee for a good cuppa in the morning. Also, Scenic View restaurant out on Lake Monroe just off of 446 is a FANTASTIC place to spend a Sunday morning afternoon. Take advantage of the many new hiking trails that are maintained by the local nature conservancy, like Leonard Springs or Beanblossom Bottoms. Have fun! 

Great recommendations, you guys never fail to deliver!  I watched the campus eats episode at Buffalouie's as well Mile,  and that sparked my interest. 

I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, but I could never get in to Power's hamburgers. Think it was the onions. Haven't tried it since I was in junior high,  so it could be time for a retry.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great recommendations, you guys never fail to deliver!  I watched the campus eats episode at Buffalouie's as well Mile,  and that sparked my interest. 

I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, but I could never get in to Power's hamburgers. Think it was the onions. Haven't tried it since I was in junior high,  so it could be time for a retry.

Funny you mention the onions at Powers.  Having WafleheadFred over for dinner this Sunday. He's from Fort Wayne as well.   Famous quote from WF : "Never take a bag of burgers from Powers home in your car, unless you want it to smell like onions for a month. " "Always eat them there."  LOL.   Personally, I love onions.  But, I can understand your disdain for them.  Give 'em a try.  Tastes do change over time. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Funny you mention the onions at Powers.  Having WafleheadFred over for dinner this Sunday. He's from Fort Wayne as well.   Famous quote from WF : "Never take a bag of burgers from Powers home in your car, unless you want it to smell like onions for a month. " "Always eat them there."  LOL.   Personally, I love onions.  But, I can understand your disdain for them.  Give 'em a try.  Tastes do change over time. 

That's a great point. I actually love onions now,  especially sauteed. Might be a new favorite. My wife once got a burger at the Gyro King downtown Fort Wayne and said the flavor was incredible because of the seasoned grill.  Go figure.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

😲🤣😲🤣

OMG.  I said that ?  Yes I did.  You know the phrase : "Get the H out of here.  Seems when I typed that, I left the H out of there.  Gone back and edited.  But, it was good for a laugh.  Thanks !

Have a great Holiday Weekend. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

When in B-town I always ate here..

https://averspizza.com/menu/signature-pies/

Now the Fort is a different story.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, Hoosierinbham said:

Given limited time my restaurant recommendations for Bloomington are Uptown Cafe on Kirkwood for breakfast and Lennie's in Crosstown Center on 10th street for lunch/dinner.  Food is great at Lennie's houses the Bloomington Brewing Company for an extra bonus.

Highly recommend the Oyster bar on Calhoun in Ft. Wayne - 2nd oldest restaurant in Indiana.  Incredible fried oysters, cklam chowder and Walleye.  Have great steaks and other non-seafood offerings as well.  There's also a Cork N Cleaver still in Ft. Wayne and it is awesome as well.

2 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Given limited time my restaurant recommendations for Bloomington are Uptown Cafe on Kirkwood for breakfast and Lennie's in Crosstown Center on 10th street for lunch/dinner.  Food is great at Lennie's houses the Bloomington Brewing Company for an extra bonus.

Highly recommend the Oyster bar on Calhoun in Ft. Wayne - 2nd oldest restaurant in Indiana.  Incredible fried oysters, cklam chowder and Walleye.  Have great steaks and other non-seafood offerings as well.  There's also a Cork N Cleaver still in Ft. Wayne and it is awesome as well.

Great idea on the Oyster bar.  Think I went there once as a kid because my did LOVES fried walleye.  Have to try that this time. 

Ironically, I'll be back in Fort Wayne the beginning of August for a memorial golf tournament and 25 year class reunion.  Go figure.  That trip will be sans kiddos!

Last two times I've stayed in Bloomington, once I stayed at Grant Street Inn (B&B) that's walking distance to a lot of the things most like to do. Other time I stayed at the Fourwinds (on the lake) that's not close to most of the things you'd want to do, but you're on the lake.

Archived