Luke Goode (2021) Commits to Illinois

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the “he’s not good enough for IU” comments are funny... Goode is exactly the type of fringe top 100 player the staff has targeted, except he’s more of a shooter than anything else, and we prioritize slashers over shooters.

But there’s definitely some redundancy with Leal and Galloway, and it sounds like he may not be quite as good of a shooter as advertised.  If he ends up being a solid shooter for Illinois for four years (38%+) we’ll regret passing on him, but who knows if that will end up happening.  Good pickup for Illinois either way.

47 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

All of the “he’s not good enough for IU” comments are funny... Goode is exactly the type of fringe top 100 player the staff has targeted, except he’s more of a shooter than anything else, and we prioritize slashers over shooters.

But there’s definitely some redundancy with Leal and Galloway, and it sounds like he may not be quite as good of a shooter as advertised.  If he ends up being a solid shooter for Illinois for four years (38%+) we’ll regret passing on him, but who knows if that will end up happening.  Good pickup for Illinois either way.

Our coaching staff doesnt think he's good enough. I certainly haven't seen him as much as I have seen AL, but AL is better. 

I was there at the team camp last June the day that I believe the staff decided to pass.  Goode couldn't knock down shots and didn't handle contact well.  I think most there that day knew how important it was for him to play well over the course of several games, and he looked nervous rather than tenacious.  Goode clearly has high major talent or he would not have had so many offers.  Sometimes it is just not a good fit for a system/culture.  I think he is someone we can all get behind and pull for when he isn't playing against IU.  He and his family are all IU people.  But there are only 13 scholarships, and we expect Archie to get it right.  Hard decisions like these have to be made.

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but it's not that he's not good enough....but our staff didn't think he was. Given his family ties to IU if Archie thought he was good enough he would have prioritized him and probably landed him? Or maybe Goode looked at IU's roster....and sees he'll be battling for minutes w/Franklin,  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo...maybe Hunter and whoever else we bring in. 

Maybe this wasn't about IU and Archie and maybe the kid said my chances of playing are far greater at Illinois. The surprise to me is he didn't go to Purdue honestly but I have no clue what their recruiting in 21 looks like besides Furst.

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our coaching staff doesnt think he's good enough. I certainly haven't seen him as much as I have seen AL, but AL is better. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but it's not that he's not good enough....but our staff didn't think he was. Given his family ties to IU if Archie thought he was good enough he would have prioritized him and probably landed him? Or maybe Goode looked at IU's roster....and sees he'll be battling for minutes w/Franklin,  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo...maybe Hunter and whoever else we bring in. 

Maybe this wasn't about IU and Archie and maybe the kid said my chances of playing are far greater at Illinois. The surprise to me is he didn't go to Purdue honestly but I have no clue what their recruiting in 21 looks like besides Furst.

I’m not going to lose any sleep over the staff not offering him.  Like TDH said, these decisions have to made, and the staff has other priorities.  We’ve seen they’re going to prioritize slashers like Galloway over shooters like Goode, so hopefully IU ends up getting the better end of the deal with Leal/Galloway.  All I’m getting at is Goode clearly has just as much talent as other recruits IU has offered and signed — if he had been offered/committed to IU everyone would have been thrilled.   

Remains to be seen how good he ends up being for Illinois... We might regret not offering him if he’s turns out to be a knockdown shooter, but if we can get the same thing from Leal then it won’t matter much.

37 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I was there at the team camp last June the day that I believe the staff decided to pass.  Goode couldn't knock down shots and didn't handle contact well.  I think most there that day knew how important it was for him to play well over the course of several games, and he looked nervous rather than tenacious.  Goode clearly has high major talent or he would not have had so many offers.  Sometimes it is just not a good fit for a system/culture.  I think he is someone we can all get behind and pull for when he isn't playing against IU.  He and his family are all IU people.  But there are only 13 scholarships, and we expect Archie to get it right.  Hard decisions like these have to be made.

Yep, that's why CAM gets paid the big $$$$$ dollars......

59 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m not going to lose any sleep over the staff not offering him.  Like TDH said, these decisions have to made, and the staff has other priorities.  We’ve seen they’re going to prioritize slashers like Galloway over shooters like Goode, so hopefully IU ends up getting the better end of the deal with Leal/Galloway.  All I’m getting at is Goode clearly has just as much talent as other recruits IU has offered and signed — if he had been offered/committed to IU everyone would have been thrilled.   

Remains to be seen how good he ends up being for Illinois... We might regret not offering him if he’s turns out to be a knockdown shooter, but if we can get the same thing from Leal then it won’t matter much.

Goode is a shooter that doesnt shoot well? You aren't really saying anything though with what your saying. 

Yep we've offered players like him, if we are talking about ranking. 

Slashers/shooters.. idk how Goode is considered a shooter? 

Idk why that's clear if IU didn't offer. 

And yep we MIGHT regret it 🤷‍♂️

So I have a question for the mods... when a recruit commits to us within an hour that thread is moved to the general conversation thread but when a recruit commits to a different school it stays in this thread for daysssss. Is it just of no concern because they are a non IU player, is it just don’t think about it, or is it something else. Yes I could absolutely ignore the thread but dang my OCD gets the best of me hahaha. I’m not upset or anything my curiosity gets the best of me and I wonder what the thought process is.

48 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Goode is a shooter that doesnt shoot well? You aren't really saying anything though with what your saying. 

Yep we've offered players like him, if we are talking about ranking. 

Slashers/shooters.. idk how Goode is considered a shooter?

Because that’s his best skill?  He shot 35% from three for his career at Homestead... Really not sure why you’re so adamant that he’s not?  

Like I said, it remains to be seen if that will translate to the Big Ten, but I wouldn’t bet against it.  Either way, I’d take Leal over Goode anyway.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

As someone already said, or at least I think they did, I have no problem with IU passing on the kid.  But I want to hear Purdue's, Notre Dame's, and Butler's excuses for not landing Luke.

I think IU and Purdue are in the same boat. We were in on bigger fish and didn’t think he was (no pun intended) good enough for the offer. 

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Fair enough, now to N.D. and Butler's reasons.

Maybe playing in the B1G where his family could attend a majority of his games were a big influence. I know half his games would be at ND and Butler but the rest of their schedules are not really local once conference starts. I imagine it was playing time and fit with program in the end. Honestly Goode just looks like a ND player...one of those tough upperclassmen that you think how long has he been playing here lol. But I imagine it was more him and not them in where he went.

IMO, more than anything, he didn’t complement the other players as well as the guys we are pursuing.  If, for example, we had already signed Blake Wesley and Aminu instead of Leal and Galloway, we may have been on Goode more.   It sounds like Goode still would have had to play better than he did in the camp Mike alluded to, but he probably would have been more in the mix for an IU offer.   

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Because that’s his best skill?  He shot 35% from three for his career at Homestead... Really not sure why you’re so adamant that he’s not?  

Like I said, it remains to be seen if that will translate to the Big Ten, but I wouldn’t bet against it.  Either way, I’d take Leal over Goode anyway.

So... then what are we talking about in the first place!? 😂

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lol you're arguing semantics and playing devil's advocate. Thats on you. 🤦‍♂️😂

I’m arguing that he’s more than talented enough to play at a program like IU, and has just as much talent as plenty of recruits that have been offered and signed by IU... The fact that IU had already signed similar players and decided to go in a different direction doesn’t change that.  I guess that’s “semantics”?

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m arguing that he’s more than talented enough to play at a program like IU, and has just as much talent as plenty of recruits that have been offered and signed by IU... The fact that IU had already signed similar players and decided to go in a different direction doesn’t change that.  I guess that’s “semantics”?

Yes, 100% it is. Obviously the staff didnt feel he was worthy. A shooter shooting 32%... that's not good enough. 

The similarity is only in their ranking, if the ranking matters to you, sure they're all just the same players, I guess. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes, 100% it is. Obviously the staff didnt feel he was worthy. A shooter shooting 32%... that's not good enough. 

The similarity is only in their ranking, if the ranking matters to you, sure they're all just the same players, I guess. 

Lol, we’ll see how it turns out.  I have a feeling it won’t be too difficult for him to make as much of an impact as a Damezi Anderson or Armaan Franklin.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, we’ll see how it turns out.  I have a feeling it won’t be too difficult for him to make as much of an impact as a Damezi Anderson or Armaan Franklin.

I'd bet good money he won't make the kind of impact Armaan Franklin will.

Archived