Luke Goode (2021) Commits to Illinois

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell on Goode. Few of our most trusted sources on this board said most of the locals stopped recruiting him for sometime. Just wasn't athletic enough and shot around 32% from 3 this past season. Could be good but only time will tell.

I see Coleman got a 6th year at Depaul. Things didn't quite work out for him the way he was thinking. Leaves Cathedral for basketball mill La Lumiere.....heads to Illinois...leaves shortly after arriving and the rest is history. 

JCL was a strange case. Shot the hell out of the ball his 1st year at Illinois and then got worse every season. Never really developed any other part of his game, either. Kind of surprised he even asked for another season.

11 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

JCL was a strange case. Shot the hell out of the ball his 1st year at Illinois and then got worse every season. Never really developed any other part of his game, either. Kind of surprised he even asked for another season.

Weird one for sure. Remember watching him as a freshman in high school here locally. Thought he could be good. Still might be I guess but his whole 7-8 year process has just been strange.

Maybe this kid is not at the level of Aminu. But if we are gonna compare to a kid like Barnhizer... when does the program stop ignoring the second largest city in the state? All things equal, at some point we need to let the coaches of NE Indiana that this coaching staff values the talent up here. 

There are higher level kids we’re going after. I get it. But as a fallback, give me a kid like this. Toughness from playing quarterback at a high level. Dad is a legacy IU athlete. The family has lived and breathed Cream and Crimson. Easy decision imo if the higher rated kids don’t work out 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

when does the program stop ignoring the second largest city in the state? All things equal, at some point we need to let the coaches of NE Indiana that this coaching staff values the talent up here. 

Off the top of my head, we swung and missed on Keion, Furst, Brandon Newman and Blake Wesley (probably)[edit: damn I look dumb 20 minutes later], and we hit on DA. Are there specific guys that we are overlooking? 

IMO, it's not so much that we're ignoring NE Indiana, but that we've been unable to consistently hit and build momentum. But recruiting is fickled, and sometimes all it takes is landing one guy to solidify the pipeline.  

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe this kid is not at the level of Aminu. But if we are gonna compare to a kid like Barnhizer... when does the program stop ignoring the second largest city in the state? All things equal, at some point we need to let the coaches of NE Indiana that this coaching staff values the talent up here. 

There are higher level kids we’re going after. I get it. But as a fallback, give me a kid like this. Toughness from playing quarterback at a high level. Dad is a legacy IU athlete. The family has lived and breathed Cream and Crimson. Easy decision imo if the higher rated kids don’t work out 

It’s not ignoring Fort Wayne. Furst had an offer. Goode isn’t as good. Barnhizer is a more versatile player and he doesn’t have an offer. IU was keeping tabs but that’s it. There is a reason the only school prioritizing Goode at this point is Illinois. His numbers in AAU and during the high school season never warranted an offer.

50 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s not ignoring Fort Wayne. Furst had an offer. Goode isn’t as good. Barnhizer is a more versatile player and he doesn’t have an offer. IU was keeping tabs but that’s it. There is a reason the only school prioritizing Goode at this point is Illinois. His numbers in AAU and during the high school season never warranted an offer.

Agreed. I know we love our homegrown shooters but I think the staff’s evaluation is accurate IMO.  

I know a lot of our fans like Goode and have wanted us to offer him for a while now. I kept watching him to try and see it, but watching the North Central / Homestead game earlier this year really confirmed it for me.

They played Goode tight on D and stayed in his jersey throughout, and he ended up shooting like 5-16. It was also clear that Leland Walker on NC (soph PG) was the best player on the court as he took over in the 2H and put it away.

2 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Agreed. I know we love our homegrown shooters but I think the staff’s evaluation is accurate IMO.  

I know a lot of our fans like Goode and have wanted us to offer him for a while now. I kept watching him to try and see it, but watching the North Central / Homestead game earlier this year really confirmed it for me.

They played Goode tight on D and stayed in his jersey throughout, and he ended up shooting like 5-16. It was also clear that Leland Walker on NC (soph PG) was the best player on the court as he took over in the 2H and put it away.

Leland should have been the best player on the court. I know Coach Hahn has said that he thinks Leland will be the best player he’s ever coached by the time he graduates. If you know anything about Coach Hahn that’s pretty praise considering he’s coached a couple of pretty darn good players.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Leland should have been the best player on the court. I know Coach Hahn has said that he thinks Leland will be the best player he’s ever coached by the time he graduates. If you know anything about Coach Hahn that’s pretty praise considering he’s coached a couple of pretty darn good players.

This is what I like to hear! For how little chatter he gets (it's early, I know), I've been thinking I was in a one man fan club.

I don't know how much interest IU has shown or if we've even begun recruiting him. Last I read, it sounded like we were more active w/ Braden Smith and maybe Bruce Thornton, but folks expected us to take a deeper look at Leland & Comer in the coming months...

I had a write-up on him from a few weeks ago that i'll post to his thread & try to convince more people to join the movement. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

If you know anything about Coach Hahn

I didn't even know Coach Mitchell left NC lol (been a long time since I was in Indy). Assuming that this Coach Hahn knows what he's talking about, i'm even more hyped  

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

11 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Off the top of my head, we swung and missed on Keion, Furst, Brandon Newman and Blake Wesley (probably)[edit: damn I look dumb 20 minutes later], and we hit on DA. Are there specific guys that we are overlooking? 

IMO, it's not so much that we're ignoring NE Indiana, but that we've been unable to consistently hit and build momentum. But recruiting is fickled, and sometimes all it takes is landing one guy to solidify the pipeline.  

Newman and Wesley are not from NE Indiana. Brooks was a miss but we were not what the family wanted. Yes we did offer Furst. And I would stand by my opinion that we didn't swing hard enough on him. Pork Chop was up here all the time. When the Blackhawk team was honored for their state championship, he was the guest speaker. A kid that age has moments he'll remember his lifetime.,...and he'll remember who was part of them, and who wasn't.

I believe that Goode is every bit the part that Dane Fife was. Quarterback in football. High level, tough nosed kid on the court. Dane didn't become a good shooter until his senior year. Given the proper coaching, I could see Goode make major strides as well. I believe he would have brought the toughness and leadership that so many on here  have clamored for, for so long. Qualities that aren't measurable, and certainly aren't taken account by any talent ratings. This is one we'll look back and regret, imo.

And yes, NE Indiana does get overlooked. For as many alumni events, as many gatherings at booster's farms, etc.....there's none of that up here. RMK used to make it an annual event to hold a scrimmage at the Coliseum every year. Sold the place out in a day or two, every year. Crickets up here now. And no wonder all the best talent from this area ends up in places other than Bloomington.

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Newman and Wesley are not from NE Indiana. Brooks was a miss but we were not what the family wanted. Yes we did offer Furst. And I would stand by my opinion that we didn't swing hard enough on him. Pork Chop was up here all the time. When the Blackhawk team was honored for their state championship, he was the guest speaker. A kid that age has moments he'll remember his lifetime.,...and he'll remember who was part of them, and who wasn't.

I believe that Goode is every bit the part that Dane Fife was. Quarterback in football. High level, tough nosed kid on the court. Dane didn't become a good shooter until his senior year. Given the proper coaching, I could see Goode make major strides as well. I believe he would have brought the toughness and leadership that so many on here  have clamored for, for so long. Qualities that aren't measurable, and certainly aren't taken account by any talent ratings. This is one we'll look back and regret, imo.

And yes, NE Indiana does get overlooked. For as many alumni events, as many gatherings at booster's farms, etc.....there's none of that up here. RMK used to make it an annual event to hold a scrimmage at the Coliseum every year. Sold the place out in a day or two, every year. Crickets up here now. And no wonder all the best talent from this area ends up in places other than Bloomington.

The NE corner of the state isn't nearly as important in basketball, as it is in football. 

4 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

This is what I like to hear! For how little chatter he gets (it's early, I know), I've been thinking I was in a one man fan club.

I don't know how much interest IU has shown or if we've even begun recruiting him. Last I read, it sounded like we were more active w/ Braden Smith and maybe Bruce Thornton, but folks expected us to take a deeper look at Leland & Comer in the coming months...

I had a write-up on him from a few weeks ago that i'll post to his thread & try to convince more people to join the movement. 

I didn't even know Coach Mitchell left NC lol (been a long time since I was in Indy). Assuming that this Coach Hahn knows what he's talking about, i'm even more hyped  

Coach Mitchell retired a couple years ago. Coach Hahn replaced him. Hahn was the head coach at Pendleton Heights and has Kellen Dunham and Sean McDermott that played for him. I do know that Butler has shown some interest in Leland too which is isn’t surprising with these connections.

2 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Steuben- are you saying they should offer Goode because he is from Fort Wayne? Or because of trepidation he may hit a shot playing in someone else's uniform? 

I am not saying they should offer just because he is from Ft. Wayne. I am saying that if all things are comparative, and that it comes down to Goode v Barnhizer as a backup plan to Aminu, I would take Goode. I have already laid out what I think his attributes are from a toughness and leadership standpoint. I believe he is good enough, and will improve enough, to provide value to IU. 

I also think that in the above scenario, it would benefit the program to let the coaches up in this part of the state know they aren't being ignored. Too much talent from NE Indian has found its way elsewhere....both in the B1G and outside.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am not saying they should offer just because he is from Ft. Wayne. I am saying that if all things are comparative, and that it comes down to Goode v Barnhizer as a backup plan to Aminu, I would take Goode. I have already laid out what I think his attributes are from a toughness and leadership standpoint. I believe he is good enough, and will improve enough, to provide value to IU. 

I also think that in the above scenario, it would benefit the program to let the coaches up in this part of the state know they aren't being ignored. Too much talent from NE Indian has found its way elsewhere....both in the B1G and outside.

I dont think you could convince me that Goode is better than Barnhizer and I'm a huge football guy. 

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Newman and Wesley are not from NE Indiana. Brooks was a miss but we were not what the family wanted.

I did say it was off the top of my head! Keion's little brother Darrion (2023) is supposed to be as good or better than KBJ. Second times a charm. 

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

• I don't know if the staff, fan base or the player has the patience for that long of a development nowadays.. 
    • Just a couple of months ago it seemed like half our fans were ready to push DA out the door
    • Roster flexibility is more important now than it was in 2002. I could see why it may be smart to not tie up more than 1-2 roster spots on long-term development plays
  • Toughness and leadership are great, but it's hard to be a leader when you're the 12th man

I gave the Homestead / NC game example earlier cause there's a clear trend of Goode struggling against better competition. Homestead went 0-4 against HSE, LN, NC & Marion & Goode averaged 15ppg and shot only 33% from the field (19/57 FGM/FGA), a full 10% lower than his regular season average.

I may be old school, but stuff like that definitively influences how I think about players. That's why I LOVED Leal's GW shot against Silver Creek. 

I think we're making the right choice. Finally getting a kid in from NE Indiana and having him flame out won't help our cause either. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Coach Mitchell retired a couple years ago. Coach Hahn replaced him. Hahn was the head coach at Pendleton Heights and has Kellen Dunham and Sean McDermott that played for him. I do know that Butler has shown some interest in Leland too which is isn’t surprising with these connections.

Crazy, thanks for sharing. Had to look all this up.  Looks like Coach Hahn is an IU grad too...

And I can't believe old man Keefer has outlasted everyone. That man was recruiting HS transfers 25 years before it was cool 😂😂

25 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Crazy, thanks for sharing. Had to look all this up.  Looks like Coach Hahn is an IU grad too...

And I can't believe old man Keefer has outlasted everyone. That man was recruiting HS transfers 25 years before it was cool 😂😂

Keefer has outlasted everyone and that machine is still a running lol 

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

But you're saying that backup options should be given a preference? You are using a different timelines versus completely different type of players. Goode and Mohammed simply aren't the same positionally, from a talent standpoint and were they operate. I just don't understand what you are getting at. 

And you say he is good enough. Good enough for what? To be a scholarship player at Indiana? If so, then how come the four staff members, who all saw him repeatedly didn't think so? 

Personally, just don't see any evidence and haven't spoken with anyone who thinks he deserves an IU offer so this is a surprise to me. 

I don’t get that take. Goode hasn’t shown anything that says IU should have offered Goode. It stinks because of his IU ties but that’s it. He’s about number 4 or 5 on the list of possible shooters that IU should be recruiting for the 2021 class based on guys they’ve been in contact with. 

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

But you're saying that backup options should be given a preference? You are using a different timelines versus completely different type of players. Goode and Mohammed simply aren't the same positionally, from a talent standpoint and were they operate. I just don't understand what you are getting at. 

And you say he is good enough. Good enough for what? To be a scholarship player at Indiana? If so, then how come the four staff members, who all saw him repeatedly didn't think so? 

Personally, just don't see any evidence and haven't spoken with anyone who thinks he deserves an IU offer so this is a surprise to me. 

Over the last 15 years I have watched many kids come to IU with more talent than Luke, but with no heart. 

Give me a kid who wants to be here, bleeds cream and crimson, any day over some of the "talent" we've recruited in the past. 

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Over the last 15 years I have watched many kids come to IU with more talent than Luke, but with no heart. 

Give me a kid who wants to be here, bleeds cream and crimson, any day over some of the "talent" we've recruited in the past. 

One thing that needs to be considered as well is need at a certain position.  I don't know much about Luke, but based on size and skill-set, it would appear he would fill a similar role that Leal and Galloway would.  I can't argue with Archie not taking using a scholarship where there is not an evident need.   

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

From the reports last year Goode himself didn’t think he would get an offer based on similarities of guys on the roster Trey and Anthony. If we have two guys already on the roster at his position that give us the same thing (and better based on their rankings and awards) who are just a year ahead of the kid I am not going to get too worked up if we pass on him. I’d much rather further diversify the roster or save the scholarship (we didn’t even play all 11 we had this year). We got as much need for another center on the roster then another wing.

Archived