Luke Goode (2021) Commits to Illinois

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rico said:

Who else from the FW area?

Maybe not lately but I thought they had a few in the early years of Izzo.  Also probably shouldn't have used the word a lot but some.

Rico I guess I was wrong because the only one I found in looking at the roster from 2000-2007  Was Balinger and he was from Bluffton

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe not lately but I thought they had a few in the early years of Izzo.  Also probably shouldn't have used the word a lot but some.

I think some is not right either.  Not one Fort Wayne kid comes to mind at all.  

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Who else from the FW area?

More of a general comment by me....but up that way starts around Muncie. Randolph, Ballinger, Deshaun Thomas to Ohio St and of course KB Jr recently. Seems or feels like others too. Probably not fair on my part to generalize an area but seems like Fort Wayne doesn't have much affinity for IU. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

I think some is not right either.  Not one Fort Wayne kid comes to mind at all.  

I edited my post and said I was wrong because the only one I found was Ballinger and he was from Bluffton.  for some reason I thought AJ Granger was from that area but he was from Ohio.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

More of a general comment by me....but up that way starts around Muncie. Randolph, Ballinger, Deshaun Thomas to Ohio St and of course KB Jr recently. Seems or feels like others too. Probably not fair on my part to generalize an area but seems like Fort Wayne doesn't have much affinity for IU. 

Oh the Fort loves IU.   Randolph was from Marion, Ballinger was from Bluffton,  Nicodemus was from Whitko(South Whitley) are the ones that I think of going to MSU.  But not Fort Wayne kids.  Nicodemus was a Izzo recruit but Jud was the HC.

Just now, rico said:

Oh the Fort loves IU.   Randolph was from Marion, Ballinger was from Bluffton,  Nicodemus was from Whitko(South Whitley) are the ones that I think of going to MSU.  But not Fort Wayne kids.  Nicodemus was a Izzo recruit but Jud was the HC.

I know Randolph unfortunately very well. One of these days I should write a memoir of the stuff I know about off the court. Haha. Good deal on Fort....tell Furst/Goode to stop talking up Sparty! 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know Randolph unfortunately very well. One of these days I should write a memoir of the stuff I know about off the court. Haha. Good deal on Fort....tell Furst/Goode to stop talking up Sparty! 

Izzo is gonna be Izzo.  You can't keep him away from talent.

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've heard some stuff too that make him a well interesting person for lack of a better word lol. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Izzo is gonna be Izzo.  You can't keep him away from talent.

Yep...and his track record in player development to NBA is pretty hard to argue with compared to ours. MSU has put a lot of players in the league since he took over. Players might not start right away but they seem to develop though. I'm not trying to detract from IU so much as to point out the positives of his program.

41 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I've heard some stuff too that make him a well interesting person for lack of a better word lol. 

I can't imagine lol...there is enough stuff on public record that is interesting enough...and stuff about guys taking the fall for him in various instances...can't imagine what's off the record lol. Too bad..because all that stuff is likely what kept him from getting the Mr. Basketball that year as there was little question who was the better player between him and Jefferies.

1 minute ago, Vincent14 said:

Count me in for being in favor of offering Luke.  Even if Wesley is the preferred option, Goode is an in-state top 100 players that appears to have a desire to play at IU.  It would be very surprising to me if the staff doesn't end up offering sooner or later. 

Agree.  Having watched this team play, it's like Goode is a from a mail order catalog, perfect for our needs.  He can shoot and his length suggests he will be able to defend and close out on defense too.  

You don't need the 13 best athletes, but rather complementary players.

This just makes too much sense for Archie not to get together with Goode.  I think he can be our version of Sean McDermott.

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree.  Having watched this team play, it's like Goode is a from a mail order catalog, perfect for our needs.  He can shoot and his length suggests he will be able to defend and close out on defense too.  

You don't need the 13 best athletes, but rather complementary players.

This just makes too much sense for Archie not to get together with Goode.  I think he can be our version of Sean McDermott.

I wonder if he is waiting to see how the scholly situation shakes out after the year. Seems he waited on Leal and Galloway a little longer than most since they were in state. With us carrying 4 possibly into next year he might then offer but say if Lander reclassifies he may want to get a better feeling for Wesley before making a move on Goode. I don't think it needs to be one or the other...I mean Al and Green will both be gone and Armaan will be a junior by the time Goode would get here...plenty of room for both in my eyes but how the kids feel is another thing.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wonder if he is waiting to see how the scholly situation shakes out after the year. Seems he waited on Leal and Galloway a little longer than most since they were in state. With us carrying 4 possibly into next year he might then offer but say if Lander reclassifies he may want to get a better feeling for Wesley before making a move on Goode. I don't think it needs to be one or the other...I mean Al and Green will both be gone and Armaan will be a junior by the time Goode would get here...plenty of room for both in my eyes but how the kids feel is another thing.

I agree the idea that we are overloaded on wings is a little overblown.  Nowadays most teams play with 4 wings.  It seems Archie's style with the way he is recruiting seems to be one true ball handler, one true big, and the rest filled with wings like Goode.

2 minutes ago, Vincent14 said:

I agree the idea that we are overloaded on wings is a little overblown.  Nowadays most teams play with 4 wings.  It seems Archie's style with the way he is recruiting seems to be one true ball handler, one true big, and the rest filled with wings like Goode.

Ideally, I would like to see a line-up of 1 true PG, 3 wings, and a stretch 4.  With all positions being able to bury a 3.

This one could have been ours (still could be) but I hate that it seems our eggs are in other baskets....

Yes I know those other baskets are potential studs, but these types of kids are work horses, and what make other programs (Butler, MSU, etc.) more solid top to bottom. 

offer him before it’s too late!

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

This one could have been ours (still could be) but I hate that it seems our eggs are in other baskets....

Yes I know those other baskets are potential studs, but these types of kids are work horses, and what make other programs (Butler, MSU, etc.) more solid top to bottom. 

Per DocHoosier......

*Archie calls and offers Goode on the bus ride to the airport 👏🏼

1 hour ago, rico said:

Ideally, I would like to see a line-up of 1 true PG, 3 wings, and a stretch 4.  With all positions being able to bury a 3.

We would get beat up pretty rough on the boards in the B1G. I think in some other conferences you could get away with that...maybe even the ACC you could...but dang in the B1G....seems like MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Maryland and others would eat our lunch on the glass...too many second chance points. I am absolutely fine with a true point and a traditional BIG that can run the floor...limited to the post rebound and block shots and the other 2 pure shooters and a stretch 4. A big like DJ White, Andre Patterson, Thomas Bryant, Cody Zeller is great (I'm not going even as far back as our glory days). Run out a Brian Evans at the 4 or even a lesser 3pt threat like Nover or Henderson beside a point like Ferrell/Coverdale and two shooters like Vic (he still shot well from 3) or Calbert and another guard like Ziesloft/Alford/Jay Edwards and that's pretty deadly shooting team. I think depending on what lineup you was to choose you still have to have a guy that can create his own shot/or get one for others so a driver like Vic or Ferrell but man we've had some great players over the years...which is why we recognize when something isn't working so quickly. I still would take my chance with a team full of shooting threats that might be weaker on defense or the boards and take my chances over a team I just don't know how is going to manufacture points. 

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Well....sometimes the dark side of me starts to think maybe it isn't the kids we are bringing in...it's how we are bringing them along. Sometimes I'm not so sure the other programs are just doing things better than us...and I don't mean recruiting. Sometimes I think we could bring back a Damon Bailey and even he would struggle. I just wonder if these other programs are getting the most out of what they get...and we just are not. I'm not sure we bring in a Jordan Bohannon type if he would be what we go up against when we face those guys.

Ok...I came back to the light lol. But the longer this goes on...the pull is getting stronger.

Archived