Luke Goode (2021) Commits to Illinois

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

This recruitment over in the eyes of IU or we still sniffing around? I know at times there was talk we would offer is that still a possibility for those that are in the know?

Not a person in the know, just a guess on my part.  If IU is sitting good with Aminu Mohammed they are not interested in Luke. 

11 minutes ago, BDB said:

Not a person in the know, just a guess on my part.  If IU is sitting good with Aminu Mohammed they are not interested in Luke. 

We have 3 spots left after the Duncomb and Lander commitment say we get Kaufman and then land Mohammed (Big ifs but we can think positive here) then we have one more spot and I feel like adding a Luke Goode or Barnhizer would be great to get a 4 year shooter or Louis Lesmond. Just was curious if the staff was looking for that at all

13 minutes ago, BDB said:

Strange recruiting year for both Purdue and IU. Feel like in most years, Goode would likely get offered by at least one of us. But we’re both in on bigger fish this class. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

We have 3 spots left after the Duncomb and Lander commitment say we get Kaufman and then land Mohammed (Big ifs but we can think positive here) then we have one more spot and I feel like adding a Luke Goode or Barnhizer would be great to get a 4 year shooter or Louis Lesmond. Just was curious if the staff was looking for that at all

Barnhizer would be nice, if for no other reason, he's from Lafayette.  I realize he didn't actually grow up there, but the average fan is not going to realize that when his hometown is mentioned on TV.  

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Barnhizer would be nice, if for no other reason, he's from Lafayette.  I realize he didn't actually grow up there, but the average fan is not going to realize that when his hometown is mentioned on TV.  

If he did play for you guys, I do wonder if he’d get the Rob Phinisee treatment every time he stepped inside Mackey haha. 

2 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

This recruitment over in the eyes of IU or we still sniffing around? I know at times there was talk we would offer is that still a possibility for those that are in the know?

Over for us in my opinion. I did read an article where Illinois has been getting involved. 21 class is so stacked (we've talked about this for years) that at least a couple players are going to get away. 

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU isn’t going after Goode. There was some chatter a while back that he might get an offer but that cooled and has been quiet since.

Goode like a lot of '21 kids might want to jump on one of the offers he already has in hand because without an AAU season to impress his offer list may not grow very much.  And honestly, if the NCAA is going to make it open season regarding transfers, take an offer; play a year; don't like it transfer somewhere else.

And if you only look at stat lines, Barnhizer is the better player.

7 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Goode like a lot of '21 kids might want to jump on one of the offers he already has in hand because without an AAU season to impress his offer list may not grow very much.  And honestly, if the NCAA is going to make it open season regarding transfers, take an offer; play a year; don't like it transfer somewhere else.

And if you only look at stat lines, Barnhizer is the better player.

Or they can wait until next spring when a lot of teams are scrambling?

3 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

The other day I figured we only have 3 openings for 2021 unless TJD leaves or someone else transfers.

Seniors- RP, Anderson, Race

Juniors- TJD, Hunter, Franklin

Sophomores- Galloway, Lander, Leal, Geronimo

Freshman- Duncomb, ?, ?

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

Or they can wait until next spring when a lot of teams are scrambling?

Risk is there aren't as many desirable slots remaining.  It's just a crazy time in the world of recruiting.  In an ordinary year, waiting might not be that bad if you had a strong AAU season for support.  How much of a gambler does a 17-18 year old and his family want to be?

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The other day I figured we only have 3 openings for 2021 unless TJD leaves or someone else transfers.

Seniors- RP, Anderson, Race

Juniors- TJD, Hunter, Franklin

Sophomores- Galloway, Lander, Leal, Geronimo

Freshman- Duncomb, ?, ?

This is true...we are working with the assumption of one transfer. 

On 4/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, Seeking6 said:

Over for us in my opinion. I did read an article where Illinois has been getting involved. 21 class is so stacked (we've talked about this for years) that at least a couple players are going to get away. 

Illinois has been recruiting him for a long time, he visited last summer and was in Champaign to watch Illinois play both Purdue and IU this season. Sounds like he may be the first to commit to the '21 class. And the 3rd Indiana kid to pick UI that I can remember. Scott Haffner and Coleman-Lands being the other 2.

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Illinois has been recruiting him for a long time, he visited last summer and was in Champaign to watch Illinois play both Purdue and IU this season. Sounds like he may be the first to commit to the '21 class. And the 3rd Indiana kid to pick UI that I can remember. Scott Haffner and Coleman-Lands being the other 2.

Would be a good pickup for you guys. 

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Time will tell on Goode. Few of our most trusted sources on this board said most of the locals stopped recruiting him for sometime. Just wasn't athletic enough and shot around 32% from 3 this past season. Could be good but only time will tell.

I see Coleman got a 6th year at Depaul. Things didn't quite work out for him the way he was thinking. Leaves Cathedral for basketball mill La Lumiere.....heads to Illinois...leaves shortly after arriving and the rest is history. 

In a different year or time, Goode may have gotten an IU offer.  At this point, he’s probably not viewed as complementary enough to the wings on the roster.  The guys we’ve emphasized for this spot have fit more of the creator type.  Mohammed can go and get a bucket different ways.  Wesley fit that when we were recruiting him, etc. 

I realize some people are concerned about the 32% 3ptFG%.  While a concern on the face of it, you’d have to dig deeper—which I haven’t seen anybody here do—to understand his potential.  If Illinois runs some drive and kicks and draws the defense from him, maybe he starts hitting at a better clip because he’s wide open and has more time to get his shot off as opposed to being the focus of the defense where he’s pressured and has to rush it up more.  

In the end, I’ve seen this movie dozens of times.  He will probably hit some shots and make some plays against us.  That doesn’t necessarily mean we should have taken him.  The other teams will always have somebody on that scholarship and whoever it is will make plays.  Where it hurts you is with a guy like Bryant McIntosh who was actually better than IU’s guards his last year or two, or with Sean McDermott who was a better wing shooter than we ended up having, or Desmond Bane who’s a wing scorer etc.  Hopefully that won’t be the case here.  

Archived