Grill season

Now that it's Memorial Day, What are your favorites?

Sure, bacon double cheeseburgers and steaks are Staples, but what oddities have made your list?  Have a favorite steak or meat rub?

1) slow cooked grilled salmon.  Heavy extra virgin olive oil lightly salted.

2) twisted Q on my steak for the rub

Inspiration for this thread came from 'favorite beer location's, grill is an obvious choice.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salt, pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Greek oregano, basil, garlic powder, Dijon or any stone ground mustard, coriander, mint (yes, seriously...trust me).

Toss lamb chops or hunks of pork tenderloin into the above for the same 12-72 hours. Serve with tzatziki, warm pita bread and (of course) cold beer.

Got a pit boss pellet smoker on black friday at lowes.  Same deal is going on know.  Did the research, same sized traeger goes for about 3-4 more and are made much lighter actually.  I use the thing 2-3 days a week.  Smoked potatoes and carrots come out surprisingly amazing.  I nailed the ribs right off the bat.  Still need work on my brisket.  Salmon is almost a weekly staple.   Steak in the smoker is amazing.  Meatloaf, best ever.   Burgers, check.   

20190525_192230.jpg

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Got a pit boss pellet smoker on black friday at lowes.  Same deal is goimg on know.  Did the research, same sized traeger goes for about 3-4 more and are made much lighter actually.  I use the thing 2-3 days a week.  Smoked potatoes and carrots come out surprisingly amazing.  I nailed the ribsriggt of the bat.  Still need work on my brisket.  Salmon is almost a weekly staple.   Steak in the smoker is amazing.  Meatloaf, best ever.   Burgers, check.   

20190525_192230.jpg

Pork shoulder is hard to screw up. Ribs are pretty forgiving. Good brisket is an art form though. That's what I judge BBQ restaurants on.

Ribs..pork or beef? Good beef ribs are something else hard to find.

58 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Pork shoulder is hard to screw up. Ribs are pretty forgiving. Good brisket is an art form though. That's what I judge BBQ restaurants on.

Ribs..pork or beef? Good beef ribs are something else hard to find.

I have not tried beef ribs.  

I did a smoked carnita style pork shoulder.  It was good but not as good as i was hoping, probably just stick with traditional.  

Loins and shoulders habe turned out pretty great. 

We do all the staples, but there are a few things I think are unique. 

ABT’s (Atomic Buffalo Turds) - They’re jalapeños filled with cream cheese and whatever else you want. Then wrap in bacon and smoke. I like to mix syrup and pepper to add to the bacon right before they go on. 

Brussels Sprouts - Seasoned and cooked in cast iron. 

One tip: after thanksgiving you can buy cheap whole turkeys. Get a few and cut them into the normal 8/10 pieces like a chicken and freeze. Yesterday I did a Cajun breast and smoked the legs and neck for collard greens. 

Good buy on that Pit Boss, NTL.  Hope it gives you years of enjoyment.

Hey mjeze.   I only wish I owned a big green egg.  Being retired, kind of out of my budget. 

So, a few years back I settled on a Char Broil 3 in one propane Big Easy.  I love it.  It's not just a grill. But a smoker. And a roaster. And since it is infrared, it also is an oil less turkey fryer.

CharBroil Big Easy TRUINFRARED 3in1 Roaster, Smoker and Grill.

My thanks to PoHoosier. For starting this thread.  This is one thread that I can sink my teeth into. 

In addition to the staples

Grilled peaches with a cinnamon sugar cream cheese filling and a drizzle of honey

Grilled chicken leg quarters are probably my favorite grilled protein.

If I want to smoke I always add a whole chicken and make a smoked chicken salad.  About 50/50 smoked chicken and crock pot chicken breast gives it the right amount of smokiness.

And pork belly covered in salt pepper and honey. Use as bacon later on. 

Pam sprayed on aluminum foil. Tilapia filet with a melted butter/lemon juice pour over. Fresh oregano and thyme. Sprinkle with feta and petite diced tomatoes. Tent the foil to completely enclose and grill over a low- medium flame for 12 or so minutes. I usually grill veggies with... asparagus, summer squash. Make a salad or rice side for a really light summer meal 

Easy-Cedar-Plank-Salmon-4.jpg

I could go on and on regarding this topic.  However, seeing as fish keeps coming up for the time being.  Cedar Plank salmon done on the grill.  Soak the planks for several hours, or over night ( cheap, and can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and even grocery stores).  Simple.  Just a touch of salt and pepper.  Squeeze of lemon as it cooks.  And takes just minutes to grill, on indirect heat. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Easy-Cedar-Plank-Salmon-4.jpg

I could go on and on regarding this topic.  However, seeing as fish keeps coming up for the time being.  Cedar Plank salmon done on the grill.  Soak the planks for several hours, or over night ( cheap, and can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and even grocery stores).  Simple.  Just a touch of salt and pepper.  Squeeze of lemon as it cooks.  And takes just minutes to grill, on indirect heat. 

Agree with this. I have done this and it is hard to beat. Add grilled lemon on the side adds even more flavor.

Also have grilled ahi tuna steaks and swordfish, although not on a cedar plank, and was delicious.  

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Agree with this. I have done this and it is hard to beat. Add grilled lemon on the side adds even more flavor.

Also have grilled ahi tuna steaks and swordfish, although not on a cedar plank, and was delicious.  

Thank you for the grilled lemon trick. I have never thought of that. However, thanks to you, I will be trying it, next time I do cedar planked salmon.  My mouth is watering as I Type this.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:06 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Grilled peaches with a cinnamon sugar cream cheese filling and a drizzle of honey

A) I'm stealing this and blaming you for the weight I will undoubtedly gain. 

B) I'm adding one thing (and this will come as no shock, given that it's me): bourbon.  Instead of the honey, make it a simple bourbon honey glaze. 

On 5/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, milehiiu said:

Good buy on that Pit Boss, NTL.  Hope it gives you years of enjoyment.

Hey mjeze.   I only wish I owned a big green egg.  Being retired, kind of out of my budget. 

So, a few years back I settled on a Char Broil 3 in one propane Big Easy.  I love it.  It's not just a grill. But a smoker. And a roaster. And since it is infrared, it also is an oil less turkey fryer.

CharBroil Big Easy TRUINFRARED 3in1 Roaster, Smoker and Grill.

My thanks to PoHoosier. For starting this thread.  This is one thread that I can sink my teeth into. 

I went a somewhat similar route.  I don't smoke/Q enough to justify a standalone smoker (yet.....), but the smoker insert on my Weber works great for a "light smoke" effect.  I don't think it'll generate enough smoke to do a whole shoulder or brisket (never tried), but it works great in lieu of the planks (ie cedar chips in place of the plank).  Gives it just a kiss of smoke.   Works great with boneless chicken breasts, fish, sausage, etc.  Won't take the place of a full smoker, but decent enough. 

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I went a somewhat similar route.  I don't smoke/Q enough to justify a standalone smoker (yet.....), but the smoker insert on my Weber works great for a "light smoke" effect.  I don't think it'll generate enough smoke to do a whole shoulder or brisket (never tried), but it works great in lieu of the planks (ie cedar chips in place of the plank).  Gives it just a kiss of smoke.   Works great with boneless chicken breasts, fish, sausage, etc.  Won't take the place of a full smoker, but decent enough. 

Yes. Smoking is a science and a delight.  In addition to my Char Broil 3 in one.  I have one charcaol vertical smoker with five trays. And another  charcoal water smoker, that I love to do a full turkey on.  And of course, if you know what you are doing you can turn a standard Weber grill ( of which I have two... and did I mention I have a dedicated grilling area on the side of my house, in addition to my back patio ), into a smoker as well.  Like I said previously. This thread is up my alley.

Hey people keep the dishes coming. I have already learned things, I have never thought of before.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Yes. Smoking is a science and a delight.  In addition to my Char Broil 3 in one.  I have one vertical smoker with five trays. And another water smoker, that I love to do a full turkey on.  And of course, if you know what you are doing you can turn a standard Weber grill ( of which I have two... and did I mention I have a dedicated grilling area on the side of my house, in addition to my back patio ), into a smoker as well.  Like I said previously. This thread is up my alley.

Hey people keep the dishes coming. I have already learned things, I have never thought of before.

What model Webers?

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

What model Webers?

An old old model.  And one of the newer models.  Get a Weber Grill grate. Which is great for grilling steaks and pork chops with a grill mark without having to move the meat.  And  get a grill that is hinged on two ends, that allows for adding charcoal without removing the food. Wonder full for slow cooking meats. Plus a Weber Charcoal holder for both sides of the grill, which is great for indirect grilling.  

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) I'm stealing this and blaming you for the weight I will undoubtedly gain. 

B) I'm adding one thing (and this will come as no shock, given that it's me): bourbon.  Instead of the honey, make it a simple bourbon honey glaze. 

I will take full responsibility and also the bourbon honey glaze idea.

I like to do what is called a grilled vegetable hero sandwich.  It is customizable.  But I like to grill yellow,orange, and red bell peppers, onion, tomato, and mushrooms.

Get a giant Italian loaf and cut each end off, about 6 inches, and dig the bread out because you need the space.  Grill bread to give it a light toast and firm it up some. 

A garlic aioli made to taste

( mayo,salt,pepper,fresh lemon juice, 1-2 garlic cloves)

Spread aioli on bread, stuff with grilled veggies top with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella and serve with a side of napkins.

Archived