Grill season

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

An old old model.  And one of the newer models.  Get a Weber Grill grate. Which is great for grilling steaks an pork chops with a grill mark without having to move the meat.  And  get grill that is hinged on two ends, that allows for adding charcoal without removing the food. Plus a Weber Charcoal holder for both sides of the grill, which is great for indirect grilling.  

Mine's actually gas.  This is proof that I'm more cook than BBQ-er, but I'd rather cook on gas vs charcoal.  If I want some smoke, that's what the smoke tray is for. 

One thing I do have is the griddle that drops in place of one of the grates.  Great for making thinner smash-style burgers, since you can get it ripping hot and don't have to worry about smoking up your entire kitchen...lol. 

And I call mine Frankenweber.  It's a 10 year old Genesis which started life as a bare-bones 3 burner.  4 years ago, it (somehow) blew over in a storm and landed, of course, right on the control knobs, cracking the valves.  Somehow, no other scratches.  Rather than just replace the valves and knobs, I upgraded.  Added the 4th sear burner, the lights/illuminated knobs from a Summit series, remote tank gauge from the newer model Genesis, and the integrated side storage cabinets. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I like to do what is called a grilled vegetable hero sandwich.  It is customizable.  But I like to grill yellow,orange, and red bell peppers, onion, tomato, and mushrooms.

Get a giant Italian loaf and cut each end off, about 6 inches, and dig the bread out because you need the space.  Grill bread to give it a light toast and firm it up some. 

A garlic aioli made to taste

( mayo,salt,pepper,fresh lemon juice, 1-2 garlic cloves)

Spread aioli on bread, stuff with grilled veggies top with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella and serve with a side of napkins.

That's begging for some artichokes. 

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Mine's actually gas.  This is proof that I'm more cook than BBQ-er, but I'd rather cook on gas vs charcoal.  If I want some smoke, that's what the smoke tray is for. 

One thing I do have is the griddle that drops in place of one of the grates.  Great for making thinner smash-style burgers, since you can get it ripping hot and don't have to worry about smoking up your entire kitchen...lol. 

And I call mine Frankenweber.  It's a 10 year old Genesis which started life as a bare-bones 3 burner.  4 years ago, it (somehow) blew over in a storm and landed, of course, right on the control knobs, cracking the valves.  Somehow, no other scratches.  Rather than just replace the valves and knobs, I upgraded.  Added the 4th sear burner, the lights/illuminated knobs from a Summit series, remote tank gauge from the newer model Genesis, and the integrated side storage cabinets. 

That's really cool.

Weber does make a great grill.  I love mine that clear out the coals at the bottom. 

In terms of gas vs charcoal.  I go both ways. 

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

b3a6f2f0f6d37562357c7c5bee95fae6--pita-teenage-mutant-ninja.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I like to do what is called a grilled vegetable hero sandwich.  It is customizable.  But I like to grill yellow,orange, and red bell peppers, onion, tomato, and mushrooms.

Get a giant Italian loaf and cut each end off, about 6 inches, and dig the bread out because you need the space.  Grill bread to give it a light toast and firm it up some. 

A garlic aioli made to taste

( mayo,salt,pepper,fresh lemon juice, 1-2 garlic cloves)

Spread aioli on bread, stuff with grilled veggies top with fresh basil and fresh mozzarella and serve with a side of napkins.

Sounds great.  A real treat in my family is when we do Veggie hobo packs on the grill.  Name the veggie, and we will grill it in a hobo pack. Unlike the link below, I do not combine all the veggies in one pack. But make separate ones for each veggie. And put them on the grill depending upon grilling time.For instance potatoes go on first, etc, etc. Garlic on the grill is great.  That way I can control the type of addition. Like oil, butter, seasoned salt, salt or pepper. Depending upon the veggie.

Vegetable Hobo Packets 

Haven't been to the Animal House lately, but the absolute best thing I ever (pellet) smoked was Prime Rib Roast. I haven't done it in a while because I haven't found a good sale on it lately (I only get it on sale because, well, it's prime freaking expensive). Anyway, if you get your hands on one.....

-coat liberally with oil garlic and thyme. 
-stab holes and stuff slivers of garlic cloves into the into the meat
-put roast rackside down in a foil pan to trap the juices (remember that ribs acts as a natural rack).
-crank up gill to 500 and put in for 30-40 minutes
-turn down heat to about 200 and let cook (about 3-4 hours) until the middle is at your desired temp
*all cook times/temps are general because it depends on the size of the roast.

-THEN take that juice (strained) in the bottom of the pan and make a gravy. Just add a little flour and a splash of wine - stir on stove over low heat 
_slice it up and serve it with some mashed taters and your favorite veggies.

Not only is the meat incredible but you can taste the smoke in the gravy. Better than any restaurant can do. 

Having friends over for dinner on Friday (May 31, 2019).  And because of this thread, I decided to do cedar plank salmon.  Went to Lowes for fresh cedar planks, which I have soaking.  Mistake going to Lowes.  Though the planks are a bit thicker than other places. You only get two. Where other places offer up to six planks for half the price.  Still, bought them at Lowe's, only out of convenience, since I was already there.  Pledge to my self.  Buy cedar planks at Home Depot, or Walmart.

Now.  I have a to decide.  Propane or gas ?  Both indirect.  I have done both.  Can't decide which is best.

And Mr. Flynn.  I will be grilling lemons.  Thanks for your suggestion. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you wanna get warm
When you're down on the farm
Propane
If you live in the sticks
And your income is fixed
Propane

Its so high, its so high, its so high
Propane

Yeah. I kind of was leaning towards to propane for Friday night.  Simply because I have a gas grill is on the back patio.  And I won't have to walk over to the grilling/smoking area on the North End of the mile ranch.

Propane it is.  Just for you.  LOL.

On 5/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, NotIThatLives said:

Got a pit boss pellet smoker on black friday at lowes.  Same deal is going on know.  Did the research, same sized traeger goes for about 3-4 more and are made much lighter actually.  I use the thing 2-3 days a week.  Smoked potatoes and carrots come out surprisingly amazing.  I nailed the ribs right off the bat.  Still need work on my brisket.  Salmon is almost a weekly staple.   Steak in the smoker is amazing.  Meatloaf, best ever.   Burgers, check.   

Bought a George Foreman knock off for twenty bucks! Actually does a good job for 1-2 burgers or chicken tenders, which is all I need! I live a simple kind of life.😥

Making smashburgers tomorrow for lunch.

Toasted bun

lettuce

tomato

pickles

two smashed burgers (3 oz each)

1 slice american cheese

Slather homemade sauce - 1 part mayo, 1 part yellow mustard, 1 part ketchup, 1 park relish, a little each of garlic powder, onion powder and paprika

On 5/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, milehiiu said:

That's really cool.

Weber does make a great grill.  I love mine that clear out the coals at the bottom. 

In terms of gas vs charcoal.  I go both ways. 

We got our first Weber (22 1/2 inch charcoal) as a wedding present in 1983. After 12 years, my brother-in-law accidentally ran over it (overshot the driveway onto the patio). Immediately bought another one. Still have that one (25 years).

Bought a Weber Genesis Silver A in 2004. Still have that too. Have called Weber 3 or 4 times over the years for various replacement parts, and they've always sent them to me free (gas burners, regulator). 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We got our first Weber (22 1/2 inch charcoal) as a wedding present in 1983. After 12 years, my brother-in-law accidentally ran over it (overshot the driveway onto the patio). Immediately bought another one. Still have that one (25 years).

Bought a Weber Genesis Silver A in 2004. Still have that too. Have called Weber 3 or 4 times over the years for various replacement parts, and they've always sent them to me free (gas burners, regulator). 

So what you are saying is that you can buy a Chris Weber?  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

1 hour ago, rico said:

So what you are saying is that you can buy a Chris Weber?  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

It's expensive, and will cook your food to the brink of perfection, but runs out of gas just short of it. Then when it tries to call for another tank, it doesn't realize that there are no more tanks, and your food is vacated before you get to eat it.

And you're left muttering "Should have just stuck with rice like we did 3 years ago."

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oui. 

Had an old coffee pot that percolated too.

Cooked many a meal on the old Coleman. Especially breakfast 

That is cool.

I still got mine and I use it sometimes to grill out on the ice.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:51 PM, rico said:

Anybody out there use a Coleman "camp stove"?

I only use one when camping. I have my grandpas old stove that uses white gas so no grilling but use as a cook stove.

Do you use a propane one to grill on?  Creative use of one if so.

28 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I only use one when camping. I have my grandpas old stove that uses white gas so no grilling but use as a cook stove.

Do you use a propane one to grill on?  Creative use of one if so.

Propane.  The small cylinders.  1 lb.?

Archived