Grill season

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/31/2019 at 3:22 PM, IUFLA said:

We got our first Weber (22 1/2 inch charcoal) as a wedding present in 1983. After 12 years, my brother-in-law accidentally ran over it (overshot the driveway onto the patio). Immediately bought another one. Still have that one (25 years).

Bought a Weber Genesis Silver A in 2004. Still have that too. Have called Weber 3 or 4 times over the years for various replacement parts, and they've always sent them to me free (gas burners, regulator). 

When I first got my job and moved about 5 years ago I went and bought a Weber OTS. It’s still going strong. A few years ago I found a deal on another kettle (a OTG I think for $15) at a yard sale.

Somehow I also acquired 2 Smokey Joes and a Jumbo Joe that has been to many games at Memorial Stadium.

The most recent addition was a 22” WSM.

I’m a big Weber fan.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:14 PM, milehiiu said:

Sounds great.  A real treat in my family is when we do Veggie hobo packs on the grill.  Name the veggie, and we will grill it in a hobo pack. Unlike the link below, I do not combine all the veggies in one pack. But make separate ones for each veggie. And put them on the grill depending upon grilling time.For instance potatoes go on first, etc, etc. Garlic on the grill is great.  That way I can control the type of addition. Like oil, butter, seasoned salt, salt or pepper. Depending upon the veggie.

Vegetable Hobo Packets 

Thanks for the link, going to do a veggie packet tonight! Have done them before, but the recipe on that link is a little more creative, love the garlic head in it. 

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thanks for the link, going to do a veggie packet tonight! Have done them before, but the recipe on that link is a little more creative, love the garlic head in it. 

Two more things to do with grilled garlic and a steak :

1.  Put the grilled cloves on top of the steak.  Just pop the cloves out of the skin and drop on the steak.

2. Make a compound butter. After grilling, smash up the garlic and combine with semi soft butter. Then put in fridge to harden up . Then spread on the steak.  At times I will add basil to the compound butter.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Two more things to do with grilled garlic and a steak :

1.  Put the grilled cloves on top of the steak.  Just pop the cloves out of the skin and drop on the steak.

2. Make a compound butter. After grilling, smash up the garlic and combine with semi soft butter. Then put in fridge to harden up . Then spread on the steak.  At times I will add basil to the compound butter.

Sounds strange, but a garlic and bleu cheese compound butter over the top of a steak is awesome. Not exactly something you want to eat if you're going to be in close quarters for the rest of the day though.

Dad used to make smokers out of old refrigerators.  Can't tell you how many awesome smoked turkeys he's made over the years.  Now he just uses a Traeger.

Those of you in the neighborhood will thank me for this one (sorry, Mile, I don't think they ship)...

If you're on the road between Evansville and Bloomington (I-69), pack a cooler and plan a stop at the Odon Locker (about 40 minutes SW of Bloomington).  Get a bunch of their marinated turkey breasts...a few fresh and a bunch frozen for later to save trips (you'll be back eventually anyway).  The marinade is a little sticky, so I spray them with oil the first couple of turns.  They take about 15 minutes on a hot grill and are probably among the top 2-3 things I've ever tasted.  We fix them a lot in the summer when we have fresh asparagus from our patch.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Sounds strange, but a garlic and bleu cheese compound butter over the top of a steak is awesome. Not exactly something you want to eat if you're going to be in close quarters for the rest of the day though.

Actually sounds great to me.  I love both, and will be trying it,sometime this summer per your recommendation.  Thanks

Also, I did the cedar plank salmon this past Friday, for my friends and family. And did the grilled lemon to go with it, per Mr. Flynn's suggestion on page one.  They all raved about it.  Thanks, Mr. Flynn !

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Dad used to make smokers out of old refrigerators.  Can't tell you how many awesome smoked turkeys he's made over the years.  Now he just uses a Traeger.

Those of you in the neighborhood will thank me for this one (sorry, Mile, I don't think they ship)...

If you're on the road between Evansville and Bloomington (I-69), pack a cooler and plan a stop at the Odon Locker (about 40 minutes SW of Bloomington).  Get a bunch of their marinated turkey breasts...a few fresh and a bunch frozen for later to save trips (you'll be back eventually anyway).  The marinade is a little sticky, so I spray them with oil the first couple of turns.  They take about 15 minutes on a hot grill and are probably among the top 2-3 things I've ever tasted.  We fix them a lot in the summer when we have fresh asparagus from our patch.

Well, one of two things. I will have to visit you. Or give them a call. I have had food shipped upon request, even though the facility didn't do it as a norm.

Looks great. And checking.... Oden gets great reviews on the internet. 

Minus the beer I'm a big low or no carb guy. Tried grilled cauliflower pizza on the grill tonight. Failed miserably. I think either I had the heat a bit high or didn't cut the cauliflower steaks (as recipe called for) correctly. Back to the drawing board. 

Had friends over for the evening for a pool party cookout. Sirloin strips, parmesan potatoes, shrimp, asparagus, green tomatoes, peppers onions and mushrooms, garlic - all on the Razor griddle. Steaks last of course but the rest was cooked all at the same time. 

I love my outdoor griddle. We use it almost daily during the summer months. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s really nice to be able to do pancakes, eggs, bacon ham or sausage all at the same time on one cooking surface. The Razor is similar to a Blackstone I guess.

When I was a kid, I remember my uncle had a pit in the ground on the family farm in Springville. He would stoke it up with wood and lay some kind of wire (maybe fencing material?) over the top. I’m a city kid if you can’t tell. Anyway, he would cook lamb chops on that setup. Best I’ve ever had.

He and grandpa had stories about how that technique was the norm back in the day. Behind the old farmhouse, which was built in 1812 if I remember correctly, there is two large smoke houses. Couldn’t tell you how they work. I just know they are there and that is what they were used for. That old farm is such a neat place. Uriah Ari Armstrong. However many great great greater grandpa to me built the place.

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

Had friends over for the evening for a pool party cookout. Sirloin strips, parmesan potatoes, shrimp, asparagus, green tomatoes, peppers onions and mushrooms, garlic - all on the Razor griddle. Steaks last of course but the rest was cooked all at the same time. 

I love my outdoor griddle. We use it almost daily during the summer months. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s really nice to be able to do pancakes, eggs, bacon ham or sausage all at the same time on one cooking surface. The Razor is similar to a Blackstone I guess.

When I was a kid, I remember my uncle had a pit in the ground on the family farm in Springville. He would stoke it up with wood and lay some kind of wire (maybe fencing material?) over the top. I’m a city kid if you can’t tell. Anyway, he would cook lamb chops on that setup. Best I’ve ever had.

He and grandpa had stories about how that technique was the norm back in the day. Behind the old farmhouse, which was built in 1812 if I remember correctly, there is two large smoke houses. Couldn’t tell you how they work. I just know they are there and that is what they were used for. That old farm is such a neat place. Uriah Ari Armstrong. However many great great greater grandpa to me built the place.

A: My guess on the wire material would be some kind of fine mesh used for, as you guessed, fencing.  Small animal containment.  Thin enough to heat up quick, but sturdy and with small enough holes to where the food won't fall through. 

B: I'll second the outdoor griddle.  I have a griddle insert that can be used in place of one of the standard grates, and I love it.  Bacon for cheeseburgers, grilled onions (or any vegetable that you don't want to cook whole), even slider-style burgers. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Minus the beer I'm a big low or no carb guy. Tried grilled cauliflower pizza on the grill tonight. Failed miserably. I think either I had the heat a bit high or didn't cut the cauliflower steaks (as recipe called for) correctly. Back to the drawing board. 

Try Portobello Pizza on the grill.  Cut the stem off and remove the gills.  Very lightly oil.  The you can top them with practically any topping.  I make a homemade sauce.

This video only gives an idea as to how to do them :

How to Grill Delicious Portobello Mushrooms in 2 Easy Steps 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:52 AM, mjeze106 said:

Making smashburgers tomorrow for lunch.

Toasted bun

lettuce

tomato

pickles

two smashed burgers (3 oz each)

1 slice american cheese

Slather homemade sauce - 1 part mayo, 1 part yellow mustard, 1 part ketchup, 1 park relish, a little each of garlic powder, onion powder and paprika

I started making smash burgers about 5-6 months ago and haven’t looked back.  GAME CHANGER!

14 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I started making smash burgers about 5-6 months ago and haven’t looked back.  GAME CHANGER!

Yes ! Try this.

When the weather is not conducive to out door grilling.

I make these Oklahoma  Grilled  Onion  burgers, in doors

Again, many different ways to make.

Here is just one way :

Andrew Zimmern Cooks: Griddled Oklahoma  Onion Burgers

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes ! Try this.

Here is just one way :

I saw this too. And started making these on camping trips in a cast iron. Absolutely phenomenal is all I have to say. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes ! Try this.

Here is just one way :

Man that looks tasty, but eat a couple of those and you could use White Castles for breath mints.

My favorite is a strip steak with olive oil and Chicago Steak Seasoning- https://www.weberseasonings.com/product/weber-chicago-steak-seasoning

I just moved ( a few towns over- downsizing now that kids are done with HS) and since my old Weber gas grill was falling apart, left it behind instead of moving it. Got a new propane Weber Spirit II 310 for Memorial Day. The other day I just discovered I have a natural gas connection on my patio.  Going to see if I can exchange it.

A mile helpful hint.  NEVER use a wire brush to clean your grill.  Metal particles can be left behind and find their way into your food. Causing serious problems.  Instead, wad up some aluminum foil, and scrape it on your grill grate, before grilling.  Do it twice. Once when the grill is cold. And next when the grill is hot. Use tongs when the grill is hot. Or and Ovglove.  Or I have purchased welding gloves from home depot to work around the grill when it is hot.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:37 AM, Inequality said:

I have one of the smaller Blackstones and love it. 

How do you do green tomatoes on your griddle?

On 6/7/2019 at 7:51 PM, milehiiu said:

A mile helpful hint.  NEVER use a wire brush to clean your grill.  Metal particles can be left behind and find their way into your food. Causing serious problems.  Instead, wad up some aluminum foil, and scrape it on your grill grate, before grilling.  Do it twice. Once when the grill is cold. And next when the grill is hot. Use tongs when the grill is hot. Or and Ovglove.  Or I have purchased welding gloves from home depot to work around the grill when it is hot.

This deserves a second. I need to do a better job of it myself. 

I also use a pair of Lodge cast iron gloves that work pretty well. 

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

This deserves a second. I need to do a better job of it myself. 

I also use a pair of Lodge cast iron gloves that work pretty well. 

Nice ! I checked them out on line.  Years ago I used mittons.  But found that gloves gave me better control.

I think when you are ready for a new pair of grilling gloves, you should check out a pair of welding gloves from home depot. Less than half the price of the Lodge gloves. And they cover more of your arm.  Just a suggestion. Of course stay with what you are happy with. Glad that you are using heat protection.

9 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I have one of the smaller Blackstones and love it. 

How do you do green tomatoes on your griddle?

Also have a small Blackstone for traveling/camping. Works great!

The green tomatoes - decent hunk of coconut oil on griddle. Flour and salt the tomatoes.

We like to use green tomatoes as an appetizer. I eat them plain. I’ve seen some prefer a zesty type ranch sauce or even a honey mustard sauce for dipping. 

I'll contribute my "go to" when we're having a crowd over. St Louis style pork steaks...Easy to make and allows time to enjoy beverages and conversation...always paired with my  wife's dynamite mayo based potato salad...

Pork shoulder blade steaks...

I like to rub them with William's Rib Tickler dry rub about an hour before grilling. Grilled over low heat until cooked through. Take them off the grill and put them in a large pot (we use a Dutch oven) and cover with 1 can of beer and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer for an hour on low heat. Serve with more BBQ sauce. 

I understand that simmering is cheating to some die-hards,  but they turn out so tender and flavorful I'll cheat. 

raw-pork-shoulder-steak-D9WN82.jpg

Archived