Grill season

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll contribute my "go to" when we're having a crowd over. St Louis style pork steaks...Easy to make and allows time to enjoy beverages and conversation...always paired with my  wife's dynamite mayo based potato salad...

Pork shoulder blade steaks...

I like to rub them with William's Rib Tickler dry rub about an hour before grilling. Grilled over low heat until cooked through. Take them off the grill and put them in a large pot (we use a Dutch oven) and cover with 1 can of beer and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer for an hour on low heat. Serve with more BBQ sauce. 

I understand that simmering is cheating to some die-hards,  but they turn out so tender and flavorful I'll cheat. 

raw-pork-shoulder-steak-D9WN82.jpg

I know about St. Louis ribs. And St. Louis style pizza ( which I love by the way).  However, St. Louis style pork ribs is a new one for me.   Thanks for the contribution !

Something available this time of year are garlic scapes.  They look like green onions and have a mild garlic flavor. I toss them in olive oil,salt and pepper. Great on the grill and go with anything.  Had some last night with grilled mahi mahi.

If you can get them definitely worth a try. 

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something available this time of year are garlic scapes.  They look like green onions and have a mild garlic flavor. I toss them in olive oil,salt and pepper. Great on the grill and go with anything.  Had some last night with grilled mahi mahi.

If you can get them definitely worth a try. 

Next time you serve Mahi Mahi, tell everyone it's dolphin.

Mahi mahi is also known as dolphin, dolphinfish or Dorado, depending on where you're at. But may as well mess with people's heads for a minute and make them think they're eating Flipper.

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Mahi mahi is also known as dolphin, dolphinfish or Dorado, depending on where you're at. But may as well mess with people's heads for a minute and make them think they're eating Flipper.

Lol.  Did this to my wife before she knew what it was. She asked and I siezed the opportunity.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I know about St. Louis ribs. And St. Louis style pizza ( which I love by the way).  However, St. Louis style pork ribs is a new one for me.   Thanks for the contribution !

Sure...let me know if you try them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure...let me know if you try them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's on my list.  Along with all the other great suggestions in this thread. And what I love to do, as well.

As I said. I do both gas and charcoal.  And just went out to buy six extra bags of charcoal.  It's going to be a great grilling season. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Of course everyone knows Flipper was a Porpoise! Hah!

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll contribute my "go to" when we're having a crowd over. St Louis style pork steaks...Easy to make and allows time to enjoy beverages and conversation...always paired with my  wife's dynamite mayo based potato salad...

Pork shoulder blade steaks...

I like to rub them with William's Rib Tickler dry rub about an hour before grilling. Grilled over low heat until cooked through. Take them off the grill and put them in a large pot (we use a Dutch oven) and cover with 1 can of beer and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer for an hour on low heat. Serve with more BBQ sauce. 

I understand that simmering is cheating to some die-hards,  but they turn out so tender and flavorful I'll cheat. 

raw-pork-shoulder-steak-D9WN82.jpg

I’ve done something similar. We get pork chops and season them with something simple like salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and sear them a little. Then we put them in a foil pan with BBQ sauce and cover. 

They always turn out great. To tie in the Tabasco thread you could probably add whatever hot sauce you prefer. 

image_preview-32.jpeg

I see that fresh Copper River salmon is now available.  A short availability time. And much pricier than any other salmon. You will know it when you see it. Deep, deep red. 

Worth every penny. Should try it once at least.

On my way to the store to get my annual treat.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

image_preview-32.jpeg

I see that fresh Copper River salmon is now available.  A short availability time. And much pricier than any other salmon. You will know it when you see it. Deep, deep red. 

Worth every penny. Should try it once at least.

On my way to the store to get my annual treat.

Seconded.

Am going to Bloomington for my biweekly grocery trip on Saturday.  Hope I can find some. It is usually available.  

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I like your indirect fire. 

My personal rule of thumb is, if it's going to take more than 30 minutes, I'm going indirect on the charcoal grill. If less, goes on the gas grill.

And I second your endorsement of the Weber charcoal holders (you can see them in my pic) for indirect cooking. I ran across them on clearance at my local Walmart for $7. Bought all 5 that they had, and gave away 4 of them. 

And I, too, will be looking for the Copper River salmon today. Thanks!

Does anybody else brine (particularly pork and poultry) before they grill/smoke meat? I bought one of these to do my brining, and it works out really well, especially for turkey. The lid locks down to keep all the meat in the brine. My wife thought $33 was a bit much for what amounts to a plastic bucket, but she doesn't gripe about the finished products.

Screenshot_20181120-135805_Amazon Shopping.jpg

A favorite of ours at home:

Boneless pork chops marinated in a mixture of *Raspberry preserves/Raspberry vinaigrette dressing* for 1 hour (as long as you like really)

Using leftover marinate as a baste while grilling. To finish we add Goat Cheese on top (sometimes while on the grill still/sometimes on side plate at room temp)

Nothing too fancy but a little out of the ordinary for those that may want to try something new.

2 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

A favorite of ours at home:

Boneless pork chops marinated in a mixture of *Raspberry preserves/Raspberry vinaigrette dressing* for 1 hour (as long as you like really)

Using leftover marinate as a baste while grilling. To finish we add Goat Cheese on top (sometimes while on the grill still/sometimes on side plate at room temp)

Nothing too fancy but a little out of the ordinary for those that may want to try something new.

Word of caution. One should never use left over marinade. Not saying if you do or not.  Always make enough to keep aside. And baste as you BBQ.

Dinner tonight in the mile household.  Chicken thighs on the charcoal grill.  Already marinading in this simple marinade :

1/2 c. olive oil

1/4 c. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 clove garlic, minced.

1 tsp. chopped parsley.

I double the above recipe. Reserve half. To baste the chicken, while it grills.

Tiz. Your recipe sounds great.  Thanks for the contribution.

You guys talked about “cheating “ on your grilling. 

For my ribs, I cook them in a slow cooker for about 4-5 hours in a mix of a can of Pepsi and about 2/3 of a can of Fosters- the “oil can “ size. Ribs are almost falling off the bone when I put them on the grill and coat them with sauce. 

I may not be a purist, but my family loves them 

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys talked about “cheating “ on your grilling. 

For my ribs, I cook them in a slow cooker for about 4-5 hours in a mix of a can of Pepsi and about 2/3 of a can of Fosters- the “oil can “ size. Ribs are almost falling off the bone when I put them on the grill and coat them with sauce. 

I may not be a purist, but my family loves them 

Foster's Lager?  Dang, they still make that stuff?

15 hours ago, rico said:

I thought I would put this here...the GF is cooking it as I type.

https://oureverydaylife.com/548928-how-to-cook-nelsons-port-a-pit-chicken.html

Port a Pit chicken is great. I’ve done a few different types of recipes that are similar. 

On the grill I hold some of the liquid to baste. To keep it consistent with Nelson’s you can cook the chicken in halves. 

Archived