Grill season

9 hours ago, rico said:

Foster's Lager?  Dang, they still make that stuff?

Every time I see or hear the name Foster's Lager it reminds me of the time my wife's sister's boyfriend invited us to a Men at Work concert.

He was a rep for a PR firm in St Louis and got free tickets to all kinds of stuff, and normally they'd invite us along. When we were driving to the venue, I asked him if there was an opening act. He said, "Yeah, some group named Foster's Lager."

When we got to the concert, the marquee read, "Men at Work presented by Foster's Lager."

Took him a while to live that one down.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another tool on the BBQ arsenal that I find invaluable. IGrill mini Bluetooth meat thermometer. If you want it perfect, there's no substitute. Stick the probe in the thickest part of the meat, pair it to your phone, and done to the exact internal temperature.

Screenshot_20190621-090825_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Here's another tool on the BBQ arsenal that I find invaluable. IGrill mini Bluetooth meat thermometer. If you want it perfect, there's no substitute. Stick the probe in the thickest part of the meat, pair it to your phone, and done to the exact internal temperature.

Screenshot_20190621-090825_Chrome.jpg

I have something similar but a different brand. Mine has a few probes so I can track grill temp and a few meats. 

Also, most stock thermometers in grills aren’t great. Some can be calibrated but not all. I cooked around 300f (per my thermometer) for a few hours on a new smoker. I think the thermometer on it maxed out around 235. 

22 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I have something similar but a different brand. Mine has a few probes so I can track grill temp and a few meats. 

Also, most stock thermometers in grills aren’t great. Some can be calibrated but not all. I cooked around 300f (per my thermometer) for a few hours on a new smoker. I think the thermometer on it maxed out around 235. 

Agreed. I have a ThermoPro TP20 I use (multiple probes) when I put stuff in the big smoker.

The iGrill is nice for grilling for just me and mama now that we've got all the kids out and on their own. It seems to be pretty accurate.

Of course I always put the probe in the wife's cut. She's a bit picky about doneness.

I'm ok between mooing and done

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed. I have a ThermoPro TP20 I use (multiple probes) when I put stuff in the big smoker.

The iGrill is nice for grilling for just me and mama now that we've got all the kids out and on their own. It seems to be pretty accurate.

Of course I always put the probe in the wife's cut. She's a bit picky about doneness.

Wow. Now we're talking about stuff in a big smoker,  probe's, wife's cut, pickiness, and being done.   Oh wait. I drifted off.  Still talking about grilling. Whew. LOL

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wow. Now we're talking about stuff in a big smoker,  probe's, wife's cut, pickiness, and being done.   Oh wait. I drifted off.  Still talking about grilling. Whew. LOL

You seem a little offended by my post, and I don't understand why...

Nor do I care...your cross to bear I guess.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You seem a little offended by my post, and I don't understand why...

Nor do I care...your cross to bear I guess.

Not offended at all. Just thought it was funny.  That's what the LOL was for. So many of our threads go off topic.    Sorry, you did not pick up my attempt at humor. 

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not offended at all. Just thought it was funny.  That's what the LOL was for. So many of our threads go off topic.    Sorry, you did not pick up my attempt at humor. 

I didn't think I was off topic at all...just trying to be a good forum citizen by providing the benefit of my outdoor cooking experiences, which I thought was the point of this thread...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't think I was off topic at all...just trying to be a good forum citizen by providing the benefit of my outdoor cooking experiences, which I thought was the point of this thread...

You missed my point once again.  It was me, that was going off topic.  Anyway, thanks for the reply.  And appreciate your contribution.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What’s the big smoker? The biggest I have is a 22.5” WSM. Nothing crazy but it can hold plenty for me. 

10 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

What’s the big smoker? The biggest I have is a 22.5” WSM. Nothing crazy but it can hold plenty for me. 

Kids bought me a 30 inch a couple of years back. I don't use it much, except for turkeys or brisket. I have used it for ribs and chicken breast, but not often.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You are good with me. In fact, one of my favorite posters.  Please accept my apologies, at attempting some weak humor.  It's all on me. 

No, no apologies necessary. As I said, I can lack awareness. Hard to gauge people on a message board sometimes. 

You're held in high esteem around here, and I can understand why.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Kids bought me a 30 inch a couple of years back. I don't use it much, except for turkeys or brisket. I have used it for ribs and chicken breast, but not often.

Have you ever tried pulled pork? It’s not terribly difficult, cost efficient, and really good. 

27 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Have you ever tried pulled pork? It’s not terribly difficult, cost efficient, and really good. 

I did a pork shoulder once, and it turned out good. But with just me and my wife around, a lot of leftovers

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Would that be a recipe you'd be willing to share? Like I said, I use a prepared rub (Williams Rib Tickler) but I do like to try new stuff...

Sure.  It makes enough to do a rack of ribs with some leftover but can easily be doubled or more.  I rub whatever I'm doing the night before and wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate.

20190622_164446.jpg

Rubs are pretty fun and easy to mess around with. 

Salt, pepper, onion, and garlic (SPOG) is great on steaks. From there you can add sugars, other spices, or even things like coffee. 

I like to start from a recipe and tweak it as I choose. 

Archived