RIP Billy Buckner !

Met him at a local mall signing when I was like 5 years old. He was my favorite player and the signing was over and he was headed towards the exit when my dad was able to catch up to him and told him how I was a big fan of his and he stopped and signed a picture for me that I still have to this day. One of the real good guys in sports.

RIP Bill you were my sports hero growing up. My great aunt Mary lived in California and used to babysit him. After she moved back to Indiana she would tell us stories of Bill and his family. This got me interested in collecting his baseball cards and became a Cubs fan. I would trade more expensive players cards to friends for Bill's. I didn't care about those other players cards I just wanted Bill's. He is famous for that ball rolling between his legs in 86' World Series but he was such a better player than that to me. He was an All-Star. Had more hits than DiMaggio and Williams. He won a batting title while limping around on bad ankles. Most important was that he was a good teammate and took care of his family.

Archived