High school recruit signs with pro team

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No I said I hope other will do this but saying if they think this is going to be a bigger benefit than going to college I think they are wrong.  I wouldn't care if every player who already has it in their mind that they will leave after a year go this route because it will make the college game better.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth Bro.  They want paid?  They got to do it "over seas".  That is a NBA rule.  Can't fault the kid.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rico said:

No code on my end.  Just trying to figure out what side of the fence Scott is on.  He doesn't like OAD's but now it appears that he is chastising a kid for going over seas.  ????????  What is up with that?

The if code.  I'm sure you understand but for those that don't.  It's kinda like all the hope so's.  Hope Devonte reigns it in and plays intelligently, hope Deron stays healthy, hope Hunter is the man and is fully healthy, hope the offense improves, hope the 3 point shooting improves with addition by subtraction.

The if code is, if this kids becomes a star, if this kids plays great in Australia and they(aussies) love him and follow him forever maybe there is marketing money to be had there as well, if he fizzles out, if he would have went to Duke and scored 22 a game.  I get what you are saying too and it's hilarious.  

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The if code.  I'm sure you understand but for those that don't.  It's kinda like all the hope so's.  Hope Devonte reigns it in and plays intelligently, hope Deron stays healthy, hope Hunter is the man and is fully healthy, hope the offense improves, hope the 3 point shooting improves with addition by subtraction.

The if code is, if this kids becomes a star, if this kids plays great in Australia and they(aussies) love him and follow him forever maybe there is marketing money to be had there as well, if he fizzles out, if he would have went to Duke and scored 22 a game.  I get what you are saying too and it's hilarious.  

There is money to be made.  If they want to pay it, so be it.  So you don't get the attention from the "States"?  Who cares?  Life is about sustaining yourself.  RJ has a better job out of HS than any of us ever had.  Kudos to him.  

Jennings isn't the only one, Mudiay did it as well for example (China, after originally committing to SMU). This kid isn't setting a precedent, he's following what others have done. There are definite pluses and minuses both ways. They include, on the go-pro side, the kids / their families getting paid as a professional now rather than waiting a year-plus (with no guarantee), including the possibility of injury in college, in not getting the time/focus anticipated in college, etc., and on the go-to-college side, the TV/media spotlight, the ability to develop with college kids instead of playing with/against professional men, getting at least some college education, etc. It's a choice that is very much subjective and for the kids and their families, to weigh the pros and cons.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

He got his fame from his rookie year in the NBA and was not that well know in this country until then.  If he played a year in college everyone here would already have know who he was and would have gotten the endorsements the minute he declared for the draft.

Luka is an icon in Europe. Folks who follow the NBA closely know how famous he was before coming.  I do not know what kind of endorsements he has in Spain or Europe.  As a Mavs fan, I started watching as many of his Euroleague games as I could find because I knew he would be in the mix for them. 

I don't see how one year of college is any better than 1 year of ball overseas.  

College isn't for everyone.  And even if it is, not everyone has the time of their life in college.  The kid doesn't want to take classes and enjoy the college life.  He wants to play pro ball, get paid and work wholely on his game.  Good for him.  Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, but its his dream and his choice.  How many OAD kids went to college and struggled and then end up in Europe anyways getting paid less.  This way at least he is at his most marketable for overseas pay.

6 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

So will he make (potentially) a lot more money going over seas than he would if he went to the g-league?

Probably but it hopefully that league he is going to is a good league.  Read stories where some leagues overseas does not always pay on a timely manner if at all.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He got his fame from his rookie year in the NBA and was not that well know in this country until then.  If he played a year in college everyone here would already have know who he was and would have gotten the endorsements the minute he declared for the draft.

My goodness...you are surely the most knowledgeable person when it comes to basketball...all phases.  And your level of humility is truly remarkable.

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I don't see how one year of college is any better than 1 year of ball overseas.  

It would depend. Of course the exposure of playing overseas would not be as great as playing one year of college in the USA.  But then again, I am pretty sure the NBA keeps close track of talent overseas. And if one's goal is to make it to the NBA, what difference does it make ?  Furthermore.  Let's stop making a mockery of getting a college education. Kids who do just enough to get by.  Heck we even had a kid a few years back who, after three attempts at his qualifying tests, and had to resort to cheating and having someone else take the exam, so he could get into college, in order to play basketball. And then we had a kid, Bledsoe, I think was his name. Who could not put an articulate sentence together, get into college.  The NBA needs to put an end to abuses like this.   If a kid has enough BB talent, he should be allowed to test his medal by playing in a professional league, rather than blemishing what it means to be a college student.

I wouldn't mind if more and more kids bolted.  A couple of things will happen.  At some point, the NCAA may realize the college game is not healthy and is falling further and further behind football.  Second, hopefully a lot of the kids who cheat to get paid just leave and get paid professionally.  The FBI case has been a huge net negative IMO because cheaters look emboldened now.  

If players leave the NCAA game, the NCAA may have to make some adjustments.  The result could be an improved game where there is a way of paying players who have a market value above the value of their scholarship.  Maybe the game could get considerably more clean than the filthy game it is now, although it will never be entirely clean.

As we are going now, NCAA basketball is becoming like a niche sport with cult followers, with limited broad exposure only in briefly in March.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Probably but it hopefully that league he is going to is a good league.  Read stories where some leagues overseas does not always pay on a timely manner if at all.

Of course, you are the expert on that as well.  Know anybody, personally, that played overseas?  Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  You dislike OAD's and then you beach about this kid...am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Of course, you are the expert on that as well.  Know anybody, personally, that played overseas?  Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  You dislike OAD's and then you beach about this kid...am I missing something?

Rico. Scott is correct. There have been plenty of stories on the internet about overseas teams slow walking the pay of their players.  I dislike OAD's.  However, not paying their players per contract in Europe and the Middle  East is a well established fact.

Payment uncertainty, overseas,  including one player already mentioned in this thread has been going for years, now.

Payment Uncertainty Looms Large When You're Ballin' Overseas 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Rico. Scott is correct. There have been plenty of stories on the internet about overseas teams slow walking the pay of their players.  I dislike OAD's.  However, not playing their players per contract in Europe and the Middle  East is a well established fact.

Payment uncertainty, overseas,  including one player already mentioned in this thread has been going for years, now.

Payment Uncertainty Looms Large When You're Ballin' Overseas 

I asked if he knew anybody, personally.  I sure as hell do.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Vaughn Duggins.

Never heard of him. But had to do a google to find out. Have heard of Wright State though. Had a cousin who went there.   In fact have seen the Wright State Hockey team play numerous times here in Colorado.  Can't say the same for their BB team. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never heard of him. But had to do a google to find out. Have heard of Wright State though. Had a cousin who went there.   In fact have seen the Wright State Hockey team play numerous times here in Colorado.  Can't say the same for their BB team. 

He was an Indiana All-star.  Pretty sure it was the same year as Oden and Conley.  His Dad is a dear friend of mine and a Whitko grad.  I have known Vaughn since he was born.  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

He was an Indiana All-star.  Pretty sure it was the same year as Oden and Conley.  His Dad is a dear friend of mine and a Whitko grad.  I have known Vaughn since he was born.  

Cool. Really cool.  Thanks for sharing. The Wiki report on him is sadly limited. Other than saying he is from Pendleton, played at Wright State, and is currently playing in Germany.

Hope he is getting his paychecks !   I jest. 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He won't get marketing dollars by playing over seas that he would get with a year in college because nobody over here will care what he is doing in New Zealand.  Just like I don't watch the g- league I wouldn't watch games from over seas even if it was available.

I'm confused...do you want 1 & done kids to play in college or not?

Archived