High school recruit signs with pro team

I wonder if the guys that go overseas know they will be paying us federal tax, federal and local taxes of where they are playing as well as lose alot to the currency exchange rate if they want to send money home and have to convert to greenbacks.  Better hope they get to the NBA and dont get stuck. Just seems risky if you plan on OAD.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

He wants every high school player to play 4 years in college. No questions, no exceptions.

For a lot of these kids, that's a little like being sentenced to a gulag. 

I appreciate this kid's honesty...academics are not for him.  He wants to focus on his game.  Completely reasonable to me.  The only caveat I have there is for whatever professional league he plays in, they have a program to protect players financially from the predators that invariably show up.

The college game will become a lot "purer" if you have an outlet for kids like this to choose instead of polluting the college game with non-students.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder if the guys that go overseas know they will be paying us federal tax, federal and local taxes of where they are playing as well as lose alot to the currency exchange rate if they want to send money home and have to convert to greenbacks.  Better hope they get to the NBA and dont get stuck. Just seems risky if you plan on OAD.

Not always true.  I had a client who served as a contractor in Afghanistan and paid no US taxes on his Afghan earnings.  It was probably an inducement to work in that locale, but I know there are instances where US federal income taxes are not collected on foreign earnings.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The higher end Euro leagues usually pay out net of local taxes.

And so long as they're getting paid in Euros, there isn't much risk in currency fluctuations. There will always be some, but you'll have a ballpark idea of what the Euro-Dollar exchange will be. Over the past 6 months, the Euro-Dollar exchange only ranged from 1.11 to 1.15. The player just has to keep this in mind when signing.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not always true.  I had a client who served as a contractor in Afghanistan and paid no US taxes on his Afghan earnings.  It was probably an inducement to work in that locale, but I know there are instances where US federal income taxes are not collected on foreign earnings.

That's standard policy for contractors in hazard or active war zones, IIRC.

19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The college game will become a lot "purer" if you have an outlet for kids like this to choose instead of polluting the college game with non-students.

Could not agree with this statement more. 

Hey, there are kids out there with tons on BB talent.  But are not suited for academics. Or college.  Not a knock on them. Just a fact.  They should not have to go through a rule, implemented by the NBA.  For that matter, the NBA needs to look back at LeBron  James.  Worked out pretty good for him and the NBA, not being required to spend one year in college.  Hey, NBA. I know you are willing to give up your stupid OAD rule.  Get it done. It will only help your brand. As well as improving the college brand as well.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Of course, you are the expert on that as well.  Know anybody, personally, that played overseas?  Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  You dislike OAD's and then you beach about this kid...am I missing something?

It is called reading and watching or listening to interviews, might want to try it some time.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Cool. Really cool.  Thanks for sharing. The Wiki report on him is sadly limited. Other than saying he is from Pendleton, played at Wright State, and is currently playing in Germany.

Hope he is getting his paychecks !   I jest. 

Whatcha want to know?  Brad Brownell landed him at UNC-Wilmington.  Brad left and headed to Wright St.  Vaughn got out of his LOI and went to Dayton with Brad.  

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually Holiday Inn Express has good free hot breakfasts.

I would argue the Hampton Inn & Suites has a superior free breakfast.  But I did spend 3 company paid months in one.  And have only had Holiday Inn Express a few times. 

21 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Jennings isn't the only one, Mudiay did it as well for example (China, after originally committing to SMU). This kid isn't setting a precedent, he's following what others have done. There are definite pluses and minuses both ways. They include, on the go-pro side, the kids / their families getting paid as a professional now rather than waiting a year-plus (with no guarantee), including the possibility of injury in college, in not getting the time/focus anticipated in college, etc., and on the go-to-college side, the TV/media spotlight, the ability to develop with college kids instead of playing with/against professional men, getting at least some college education, etc. It's a choice that is very much subjective and for the kids and their families, to weigh the pros and cons.

Actually, from what I just heard, he is setting a precedent.  According to the "talking heads" everyone else that has done it had eligibility issues.  R.J. doesn't.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Actually, from what I just heard, he is setting a precedent.  According to the "talking heads" everyone else that has done it had eligibility issues.  R.J. doesn't.

Not sure what his eligibility was, but about 10 years ago Jeremy Tyler actually skipped his senior year of high school to go pro overseas. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure what his eligibility was, but about 10 years ago Jeremy Tyler actually skipped his senior year of high school to go pro overseas. 

I remember him.  Crash and burn.  But he made money.

Just now, rico said:

I remember him.  Crash and burn.  But he made money.

Yup. At the time he was projected to be a potential future #1pick, but from what I remember he had a bad experience overseas and his game never really developed. He might have had a cup of coffee in the NBA, if I remember correctly. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. At the time he was projected to be a potential future #1pick, but from what I remember he had a bad experience overseas and his game never really developed. He might have had a cup of coffee in the NBA, if I remember correctly. 

Yeah, I am pretty sure he got drafted.  IIRC, he was a Louisville commit?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not sure haven't really looked into it, but Mudiay was already committed and expected to enroll at SMU.

Edit - a quick read shows while Parish reported there were eligibility concerns about Mudiay "real or imagined" Mudiay's family denied it and Mudiay spoke out saying had sat down with Brown and his family and due to the need to support his mother decided to go pro to pay the bills.

I was excited about going to SMU and playing college basketball for coach Brown and his staff and preparing for the NBA,” Mudiay said in a statement relayed by his brother, Stephane, to SI. “But I was tired of seeing my mom struggle. And after sitting down with coach [Larry] Brown and my family, we decided that the best way for me to provide for my mom was to forgo college and pursue professional basketball opportunities. I am grateful for Prime Prep coach [Ray] Forsett for developing me into the player and man that I am, and I am also grateful for coach Brown’s guidance and his support. This has nothing to do with my eligibility in any way.

https://heavy.com/news/2014/07/emmanuel-mudiay-china-contract-salary-insurance-team-smu-mom-brother/

There probably were some eligibility concerns, but that doesn't mean he wasn't eligible. The talking heads often talk in a vacuum.

Archived