Early 25 and 1 poll

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am not going to fall for it again.  IU does not deserve a preseason ranking.  And, while there is a chance we make the tournment, I think we go through the whole season unranked.

This is what I'm thinking.

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I am not going to fall for it again.  IU does not deserve a preseason ranking.  And, while there is a chance we make the tournment, I think we go through the whole season unranked.

If someone forced me to guess I’d say we either get and stay ranked between 18-24 the entire season, finish 3-4 in the Big Ten, make tourney and win a game OR we are every bit as bad as last season and don’t even make the NIT. I don’t see any in between. I think we underachieved a lot last year and either we get back or stay put.

16 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If someone forced me to guess I’d say we either get and stay ranked between 18-24 the entire season, finish 3-4 in the Big Ten, make tourney and win a game OR we are every bit as bad as last season and don’t even make the NIT. I don’t see any in between. I think we underachieved a lot last year and either we get back or stay put.

It's crazy. I'm still pretty stunned that IU wasn't able to add anyone of significance in the Spring, though I'm equally as stunned that nobody of significance transferred out. 

Half of me looks at this roster and sees our most reliable shot-maker is an unreliable Devonte Green, we have no reliable shooters returning, our only true wing is a RS Freshmen coming off a season long condition that kept him out all year, and we have no bigs that have proven they can hit a shot outside of 5ft. While it's the most experienced position, we're thin in the backcourt, and we're thin on the wing. It could be another rough, rough year.

The other half wonders if maybe this is the team to overachieve and set the course for the foreseeable future of success. What if Phinisee makes 'the leap', Green is finally consistent as a senior and Durham continues to steadily improve? What if Hunter is the real deal and Damezi is able to slow down, get comfortable and be the shooter he was recruited to be? Brunk could potentially be an excellent leader, emotional player (finally some emotion on the court!) and lockerroom guy, De'Ron Davis will have his first healthy offseason as a Hoosier, and TJD might be the most under-hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has had in over 20 years. What if Justin Smith is able to clear his head and whatever was going on with him last season and realize the potential everyone thought he had?

I really wish the roster had more sure things on it and not so many question marks, but if the question marks finally go IU's way and the guys buy-in, there is a competitive team there that can be dangerous, dangerous being relative, we simply don't have Final Four talent, but maybe top 4 in the Big Ten and a tournament team, which would be great progress to get recruiting back on track. 

I have no clue what to expect. I'm just going to go into it with low expectations and hope to be surprised. 

15 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

My concern is that we are in the 'new normal era' of IU hoops.  I will still follow them with the same passion, but feel bad that my son may never get to experience the Championships that I did growing up.

I’m more optimistic about this season than I was about last year. It’s college basketball, so there will always be projection of talent. I think we are a NCAA team. I have no problem not being ranked to start the year. The schedule is very favorable and I expect us to be ranked at some point. 

5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m more optimistic about this season than I was about last year. It’s college basketball, so there will always be projection of talent. I think we are a NCAA team. I have no problem not being ranked to start the year. The schedule is very favorable and I expect us to be ranked at some point. 

I completely agree. This team has the experience and the talent to be competitive next year. They just have to put it together and work well with each other.

6 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

I completely agree. This team has the experience and the talent to be competitive next year. They just have to put it together and work well with each other.

Exactly. Individually the biggest jump developmentally is typically between freshman and sophomore years. I’m not expecting Jordy Hulls type shooting, but I see 3-5 guys that can shoot above 35% from deep next year. That is enough for a tournament team. 

The old saying. It's not how you start out the season. But rather how you finish.

Expect KenPom ratings to be low at the season. And as we know his early season ratings are based on the previous season. Ken Pom exempted, because he does his rankings differently. But other BB "guru's are lazy.  Not going out and really seeing what is going on, but rather basing their top 25 opinions on how the previous season ended.  Just a few years ago, Nebraska got early season top 25 ratings, based on how they finished the previous season, only to all flat on their faces as Nebraska's season fell apart.  And  Heck, as I posted the other day.... a 39th ranked team beat the number one team , Kentucky, with the Whatshot. 

There is always a team that comes out of nowhere, each and every season.

IMHO. You can take early season predictions.  Copy them. And immediately put that copy,  in the paper shredder. 

We're not ranked because we don't deserve it.  We sucked two years ago, and this last season we under performed.  Yes, there were injuries and medical problems, but that's the game.  We lost our best two players who were much better than any one else on the team.  We have a bunch of question marks, and our recruiting fizzled out after a good start.  Who knows where we will get our scoring from on this team.  We haven't fixed our main offensive problem which was a lack of shooters.  It also remains to be seen whether we have fixed our main defensive problem which was guarding the post.  CAM is going to have to coach his rear end off and hope he doesn't lose the team again this coming season.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It's crazy. I'm still pretty stunned that IU wasn't able to add anyone of significance in the Spring, though I'm equally as stunned that nobody of significance transferred out. 

Half of me looks at this roster and sees our most reliable shot-maker is an unreliable Devonte Green, we have no reliable shooters returning, our only true wing is a RS Freshmen coming off a season long condition that kept him out all year, and we have no bigs that have proven they can hit a shot outside of 5ft. While it's the most experienced position, we're thin in the backcourt, and we're thin on the wing. It could be another rough, rough year.

The other half wonders if maybe this is the team to overachieve and set the course for the foreseeable future of success. What if Phinisee makes 'the leap', Green is finally consistent as a senior and Durham continues to steadily improve? What if Hunter is the real deal and Damezi is able to slow down, get comfortable and be the shooter he was recruited to be? Brunk could potentially be an excellent leader, emotional player (finally some emotion on the court!) and lockerroom guy, De'Ron Davis will have his first healthy offseason as a Hoosier, and TJD might be the most under-hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has had in over 20 years. What if Justin Smith is able to clear his head and whatever was going on with him last season and realize the potential everyone thought he had?

I really wish the roster had more sure things on it and not so many question marks, but if the question marks finally go IU's way and the guys buy-in, there is a competitive team there that can be dangerous, dangerous being relative, we simply don't have Final Four talent, but maybe top 4 in the Big Ten and a tournament team, which would be great progress to get recruiting back on track. 

I have no clue what to expect. I'm just going to go into it with low expectations and hope to be surprised. 

Great post

The optimism I have for the upcoming season centers on the fact that we now have kids who will be playing the pack line for their second and third years. I am a believer in the idea that defense will keep games close and that we will find enough shooting to win games that we could have won this past year. I hope these guys remain under the radar and play the season with a chip on their collective shoulders. 

Until I see otherwise, I believe that the slumbering giant has been poked and is starting to stir.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-kansas-loses-out-on-rj-hampton-and-drops-in-early-top-25-and-1/

Slow off season, something to talk about. 6 Big Ten teams, no IU in this poll. Are we going to see more of the same next season or is this a case of no respect, show me kind of thing?

We were not ranked last season either and I did actually think we should have been. However, this is not a team that should be ranked in the top 25. They will need to prove they even belong in the top half of the big ten. We lost most of our scoring and there are a ton of quesition marks including whether Hunter can help or be healthy.  We did not add any pieces this spring to upgrade our shooting or I would be expecting more next at this point.  Honestly, it is probably best not too high expectation and be let down like last season but making the tournament would be a massive success at this point. 

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If IU manages to win more than 20 games and make the tournament next season, I will feel much, much better about the direction of the program than I currently do.

I totally agree. At this point making the tourney needs to be the expectation though it is not going to be easy. 

3 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I'm just as either or as you are.

57 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The optimism I have for the upcoming season centers on the fact that we now have kids who will be playing the pack line for their second and third years. I am a believer in the idea that defense will keep games close and that we will find enough shooting to win games that we could have won this past year. I hope these guys remain under the radar and play the season with a chip on their collective shoulders. 

Until I see otherwise, I believe that the slumbering giant has been poked and is starting to stir.

I totally agree about the defense being something to look forward to, but until we can show an effective outside game, IU's offense will experience an even more packed in defense! To me it all comes down to how well we shoot next year! 

I thought Gleas's post summed it up well. I'll sum it up in four words: I have no idea.

There are a lot of ifs. If we get those frosh to soph jumps and Green settles in, and Davis is healthy, and the shooting improves along with the spacing developed from Davis and company up front, I can see IU moving up and getting ranked around the mid-point of the season. 

Expecting a ranking and tourney run, no. Possible, yes. Hopeful, absolutely. 

Really looking forward to seeing what kind of frosh to soph jump Rob makes, and how good Hunter can be.

To me those are the two keys, everything else is important, but those are the keys.

I am thinking our only loss next year will be in the 1st game of the Big 10 tourney😀. But probably not. I am going with an over 21 win total and safely in the tourney. I think the injuries were to much to overcome. The addition of Mr. Brunk is going to help what the inside game missed defensively last year with Juwan playing center. We will shoot better than last year  because we can't shoot much worse.   Some nice freshman coming in and everyone a year older and getting use to the new muscle mass will help the shooting

I like reading some of the optimistic opinions on here, but right now I don't have high expectations for next year.   I think we are much closer to a bubble team than a top 25 team.

I am surprisingly more optimistic about the football season than the basketball season. 

Archived