2019 NBA Draft

It's a little early, but once June rolls around, the draft will likely be the number one topic of conversation.  So, I thought I would start it now, and keep the title broad so that most (if not all) draft conversation could stay in this one thread.

This does not just have to be all IU related, but I'll start us off with that perspective.  Here are some things I see worth discussing:

• Most mocks have Romeo falling between 12 and 20.  Does anyone see him doing better than or worse than those projections?  I'm leaning to the 12-14 range.
  • Will Juwan get invited to play in the summer league?  If so, will he be given a real chance to prove himself?
  • I may have overlooked it, but have Devonte or Al made a formal announcement about their status?  If either or both of them decide they are don with college, that totally changes the dynamic of next year's team (and not for the good).

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's a little early, but once June rolls around, the draft will likely be the number one topic of conversation.  So, I thought I would start it now, and keep the title broad so that most (if not all) draft conversation could stay in this one thread.

This does not just have to be all IU related, but I'll start us off with that perspective.  Here are some things I see worth discussing:

• Most mocks have Romeo falling between 12 and 20.  Does anyone see him doing better than or worse than those projections?  I'm leaning to the 12-14 range.
  • Will Juwan get invited to play in the summer league?  If so, will he be given a real chance to prove himself?
  • I may have overlooked it, but have Devonte or Al made a formal announcement about their status?  If either or both of them decide they are don with college, that totally changes the dynamic of next year's team (and not for the good).

I have not heard of either saying anything yet but with only 11 players we obviously cannot afford to have either one not come back.  

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Someone’s dad is going to be upset you’re forgetting about them :coffee:

I think Romeo goes between 10 and 15, don’t see him falling lower. There are teams in that range like Miami or iirc the Hawks where he’d fit well. He has all the makings of a high scoring guard-wing who has the ability, size and length to defend and he’s already demonstrated a high level game scoring on the pick and roll. 

I’d be surprised if Juwan isn’t on a summer league team. I don’t think he’ll be drafted but he could find a spot like Troy and Yogi did. He’s a guy I could see work well as a glue - hustle - solid player for a team like Boston, the Nuggets, Brooklyn etc. 

No announcement yet, really no reason to announce yet, both will be back. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not sure he’s the guy the Celtics need, as there’s already a crowded backcourt in Boston, but wouldn’t hate seeing Langford on the C’s. Probably a good chance that pick gets traded though. 

I think the Celtics make a big trade for AD. He isn’t changing his mind about playing in New Orleans so they need to ship him East for the biggest haul they can. Celtics Likely lose Kyrie so they re-sign Rozier but they have tons of draft picks plus young players like Brown and Tatum. Or they can involve a 3rd team and move Hayward perhaps. If I’m the Pelicans I also move Holiday and just load up on picks and young guys to surround Zion. Get him shooters etc. Might take 3-4 years but by then the Warriors and Rockets and Lebron window will be over and ten it will be open game like it was in the East. With picks 14,20, and 22 this year and next years Memphis pick which should be high to throw in with players I think the Celtics have the best offer...especially if they get another team involved.

I would expect Morgan to get on summer league teams. IMO, the notion he isn't athletic enough to play in the NBA is way off.  He also has good all round skills that can be developed and improved upon.  He plays smart and seems to have the work ethic that NBA teams like.  IMO, he will be in the G-League next season and he has a shot at making NBA rosters down the road especially if he gets a consistent perimeter shot.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This mock has Romeo going 16th to Orlando.  Fernando the only other Big Ten player in the first round.  Carsen #35 to Atlanta makes no sense, because isn't he just Trae Young light?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Atlanta has a total of 5 picks. Who knows if they'll even keep them all, and if they do, by the 2nd round, may as well just take best available regardless of position.

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This mock has Romeo going 16th to Orlando.  Fernando the only other Big Ten player in the first round.  Carsen #35 to Atlanta makes no sense, because isn't he just Trae Young light?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

NBA always needs shooting off the bench. Carson will find a job no problem. He would be a spark plug off the bench...I can see a good career for him. He is no worse than Felton or some of these other scrub pgs that have bounced around the league for years.

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NBA always needs shooting off the bench. Carson will find a job no problem. He would be a spark plug off the bench...I can see a good career for him. He is no worse than Felton or some of these other scrub pgs that have bounced around the league for years.

Oh. I agree he has a place in the NBA.  My point is that it does not make sense for him in Atlanta, because they have a player with the same type of game who is better.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Oh. I agree he has a place in the NBA.  My point is that it does not make sense for him in Atlanta, because they have a player with the same type of game who is better.

Oh I well I think Carson isn’t seen as a possible starting pg in the league. So I see no issue with Atlanta using him as a backup to Trae. They could still run the same sets for Carson when he comes in so him having a similar game should be no problem.

June has rolled around.

Some of the latest on draft projections: https://247sports.com/Article/2019-NBA-Draft-Mock-drafts-player-rankings-selection-order-131260412/

The mocks included in that article have Romeo going:

#9 - Gary Parish (May 15)

#13 - Kyle Boone (May 20)

#15 - Givony / espn (June 3)

Others

#15 - Bleacher Report (JUne 1)

#24 - nbadraft.net (just stupid, imo)

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

June has rolled around.

Some of the latest on draft projections: https://247sports.com/Article/2019-NBA-Draft-Mock-drafts-player-rankings-selection-order-131260412/

The mocks included in that article have Romeo going:

#9 - Gary Parish (May 15)

#13 - Kyle Boone (May 20)

#15 - Givony / espn (June 3)

Others

#15 - Bleacher Report (JUne 1)

#24 - nbadraft.net (just stupid, imo)

The Sixers would be turning backflips if Romeo fell to 24.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I guess 23 is where he goes

I don't see him dropping that low.  Despite his injury, he was still more productive last season than a lot of players that would get picked in front of him if he went 23.  

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

no, i am just taking a random guess at where he lands.  From everything i have read, most are not impressed with his shooting, handles, and emotional sustainability.  But they do think he is a prolific at the rim scorer.

I think a lot of that 'analysis' you are reading is from people who don't really know and are easily swayed by other things. For example, if Romeo had the exact same year at Duke, there would not be a single prognosis anywhere that had him dropping to 23/24 in the draft. 

Romeo Langford 

• FG% - 44.8
  • PER - 19.9
  • Win Shares - 4.0

Cam Reddish

• FG% - 35.6
  • PER - 13.6
  • Win Shares - 3

How many of these same 'experts' are dropping Reddish (who was not even injured as far as I know)?

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

no, i am just taking a random guess at where he lands.  From everything i have read, most are not impressed with his shooting, handles, and emotional sustainability.  But they do think he is a prolific at the rim scorer.

Not sure what you’re reading. Most are pretty high on him. Everyone scouting him knows he played through an injured hand requiring surgery, and that his second half of season outside shooting increased regardless to 35 percent and that he was top of the country scoring off the pick and roll which of course is key in the NBA, and that he has one of the smoothest attacks to the rim in the college game. 23 is an extreme outlier among the many picks. 

I expect him to go in the 9-14 range but if he fell to the Pacers at 18 and they passed on him...I’d probably stop following them. Don’t care if they have Dipo already...you don’t pass on the kind of talent that Romeo has...Pacers to get a top 10 talent that late in the draft just dont see it.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I expect him to go in the 9-14 range but if he fell to the Pacers at 18 and they passed on him...I’d probably stop following them. Don’t care if they have Dipo already...you don’t pass on the kind of talent that Romeo has...Pacers to get a top 10 talent that late in the draft just dont see it.

Color me surprised if he falls to 18.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not sure what you’re reading. Most are pretty high on him. Everyone scouting him knows he played through an injured hand requiring surgery, and that his second half of season outside shooting increased regardless to 35 percent and that he was top of the country scoring off the pick and roll which of course is key in the NBA, and that he has one of the smoothest attacks to the rim in the college game. 23 is an extreme outlier among the many picks. 

I just google NBA mock draft and read the Strength and Weakness.

Not sure why you guys are jumping on me.  I just made a guess base don what i read.  I honestly don't care where he get drafted.  Not much of an NBA fan just made a random guess with what i have read.

color me chastised and will no longer post on this topic

Archived