2019 NBA Draft

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hilarious, watching a mock NBA Draft on NBATV with Billy King and Andy Katz alternating picks and they picked Langford 25th to the Blazers!?!?

Billy King made the pick, then Katz’s explanation was that if Langford hadn’t hurt his hand he would not be going as late as they project him. That makes no sense to me? If you know his poor shooting was because of the injury and that if he hadn’t gotten injured he’d be a lottery pick, then shouldn’t NBA GM’s be smart enough to figure that out?

If they're right (they're not), Langford would fall right into the Pacers' hands.  I can't imagine the Pacers passing on him after the Anunoby debacle.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hilarious, watching a mock NBA Draft on NBATV with Billy King and Andy Katz alternating picks and they picked Langford 25th to the Blazers!?!?

Billy King made the pick, then Katz’s explanation was that if Langford hadn’t hurt his hand he would not be going as late as they project him. That makes no sense to me? If you know his poor shooting was because of the injury and that if he hadn’t gotten injured he’d be a lottery pick, then shouldn’t NBA GM’s be smart enough to figure that out?

I saw the same thing and they also had one last night on ESPN and had Romeo going to the Pacers at 18

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

This question was asked of Ryan Carr yesterday (Pacers Personnel Director) and he said right away benefit of the doubt is given to players like Romeo....said any injury but especially an injury to his shooting hand. I'm going to stick with my Romeo to Charlotte at 12th pick.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If they're right (they're not), Langford would fall right into the Pacers' hands.  I can't imagine the Pacers passing on him after the Anunoby debacle.

Not that the Pacers made a good pick in that draft, but OG didn't exactly tear up the league this season.  

Heck.  Thomas Bryant has more career win shares than OG.  5.6 compared to 5.0.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This question was asked of Ryan Carr yesterday (Pacers Personnel Director) and he said right away benefit of the doubt is given to players like Romeo....said any injury but especially an injury to his shooting hand. I'm going to stick with my Romeo to Charlotte at 12th pick.

Would hate to see him end up in Charlotte, but he could be a nice fit next to Kemba, if they keep him. 

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know that he's a great fit in Boston with the Celtics having Tatum, Brown and Hayward on the wing already, but I will not be happy if the Celtics pass on Langford at 14. A lot of the mocks (which are mostly garbage anyways, but for the sake of discussion) have the Celtics taking Herro at 14. Can you imagine passing on Langford for Herro?!?!

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that he's a great fit in Boston with the Celtics having Tatum, Brown and Hayward on the wing already, but I will not be happy if the Celtics pass on Langford at 14. A lot of the mocks (which are mostly garbage anyways, but for the sake of discussion) have the Celtics taking Herro at 14. Can you imagine passing on Langford for Herro?!?!

But, but Herro is such a stud.  Meh.

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not that the Pacers made a good pick in that draft, but OG didn't exactly tear up the league this season.  

Heck.  Thomas Bryant has more career win shares than OG.  5.6 compared to 5.0.

OG was injured and had personal matters that took him out. He tore up last season, clearly.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

OG was injured and had personal matters that took him out. He tore up last season, clearly.

Was just going to say this.  His dad passed away at the beginning of the season, and he had to deal with a wrist injury, concussion, and the emergency appendectomy.  Any player would struggle under those circumstances — not indicative of how good he is.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And Thomas Bryant literally never played his first year and still has theoretically done more in his career than OG based on win shares.

Yes.  The Leaf pick is not looking good for the Pacers.  But, there is a lot of IU bias in claiming the Pacers whiffed on OG.  And my point is that, if IU bias is your thing, then maybe Thomas Bryant should be the one we say the Pacers missed out on.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And Thomas Bryant literally never played his first year and still has theoretically done more in his career than OG based on win shares.

Yes.  The Leaf pick is not looking good for the Pacers.  But, there is a lot of IU bias in claiming the Pacers whiffed on OG.  And my point is that, if IU bias is your thing, then maybe Thomas Bryant should be the one we say the Pacers missed out on.

If they re-picked the 2017 draft, OG would go before Bryant every time.

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Laughable. I guess that's why they're doing mock drafts on NBATV instead of working for an NBA team. Billy King made Ainge look like a genius (as I know you are well aware).

Local sports radio had Pacer's Director of Personel Ryan Carr (sp?) on and asked him about Romeo Langford. On a follow-up question, they said does the injury create doubt or benefit of the doubt. Carr said benefit of the doubt.

It would be one thing if the injury was something that might be a red flag (like Bol Bol's feet given his size, history of big men foot problems), but I haven't heard anything, anywhere that has Romeo's injury as such.

Edit-Sorry looks like @Seeking6 already provided that info, but I hadn't made it to his post before replying.

I don't follow the NBA as closely as you guys. I haven't studied the ins and outs of trades, contracts, moving $ off the books,etc....but regarding the draft only. If Romeo is available when the Pacers choose....they thank their lucky stars and make their choice in 1 second. 

Just now, cybergates said:

Laughable. I guess that's why they're doing mock drafts on NBATV instead of working for an NBA team. Billy King made Ainge look like a genius (as I know you are well aware).

Local sports radio had Pacer's Director of Personel Ryan Carr (sp?) on and asked him about Romeo Langford. On a follow-up question, they said does the injury create doubt or benefit of the doubt. Carr said benefit of the doubt.

It would be one thing if the injury was something that might be a red flag (like Bol Bol's feet given his size, history of big men foot problems), but I haven't heard anything, anywhere that has Romeo's injury as such.

All day long. Heard the same interview....and he it answered it so quickly too. Gave the impression it wasn't even a thought regarding Romeo. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long. Heard the same interview....and he it answered it so quickly too. Gave the impression it wasn't even a thought regarding Romeo. 

Yes and he also said he didn't expect Romeo or Bol to be there when the Pacers picked at 18. His comments on Bol sound like they are really high on him and in most mock drafts I've seen he has been picked after 18. Should be interesting to follow that IMO.

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

and the guy from the Pacers also said that he does not think that Romeo will be there when the Pacers pick

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Not meant as a jab at Bryant. He did a great job and at least so far has proved a lot of doubters wrong. I am and will continue to be pulling for him. But you discounted OG, I don't agree with that, he proved himself at a really high level his rookie season, just looking at last season is not, at all, fair to him.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not meant as a jab at Bryant. He did a great job and at least so far has proved a lot of doubters wrong. I am and will continue to be pulling for him. But you discounted OG, I don't agree with that, he proved himself at a really high level his rookie season, just looking at last season is not, at all, fair to him.

Do you think OG has a future in Toronto with the emergence of Siakim?  

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

and the guy from the Pacers also said that he does not think that Romeo will be there when the Pacers pick

It would be really surprising, and would reflect some dumb decisions ahead of him. Then again, if I recall correctly (working from memory) Granger dropped to 18 for the P's. He was much better than that, and proved it, until injuries derailed him. There are, of course, all kinds of other examples including well into the second round. The highlight of which is Ginobli.

You just never know, but, again, I'd be surprised, and think Romeo will be picked somewhere between 10 and 15, maybe 16, but no lower.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Since it is the day before the draft why not give  our prediction on where you think Romeo will end up and who your favorite team will choose.

Romeo 13th to Miami 

Pacers will pick Bol Bol

I'm still going Romeo to Charlotte at 12. I'm thinking Pacers actually trade Turner and the 18th to New Orleans and move to 4th and take Hunter or Reddish. They could also trade with others to do same but I'll just say the 4th. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Do you think OG has a future in Toronto with the emergence of Siakim?  

Probably -- Siakim is more a forward/4, OG is more of a wing-small forward, is a better outside shooter (though Siakim raised his outside game to around 36% this season after shooting very poorly outside coming into this season) and a better defender. That's not really an apples to apples question, really it's Kawhi who OG plays behind, and for that matter we don't know if Kawhi will stay or go. I think he surprises and stays, but the rumors are strong that he'll head west. We'll see. 

Archived