2019 NBA Draft

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I really prefer that Romeo not go to the Pacers.  It would do him some good to go somewhere where the fan base does not expect him to be the second coming.  Then again, I don't want him to end up in a mismanaged and/or hopeless organization either.  

I'll take Romeo all day long. Not saying this to you specifically but just in general. He played with torn ligaments in his shooting hand all season. Romeo on paper is as NBA ready body wise as most. Sure he's not Zion or a few of the other top 5 guys but on paper....talent wise.... I'll take him all day long. Kid is a scorer. Pacers need scorers. 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take Romeo all day long. Not saying this to you specifically but just in general. He played with torn ligaments in his shooting hand all season. Romeo on paper is as NBA ready body wise as most. Sure he's not Zion or a few of the other top 5 guys but on paper....talent wise.... I'll take him all day long. Kid is a scorer. Pacers need scorers. 

And, again, one of the very best in college ball in the pick and roll, perfect for the NBA. Teams that pass on him after the 12th or so pick are making a mistake. Don't think many will. 

The best bet for long term would be that the Pacers do not choose Romeo.  However, IF Romeo is still on the board at 18( I really really do not think he will be) I think the Pacers will take him because of his potential.  He can play SG or SF in the NBA at 6'6"  estimated 220 lbs.  With his thumb healed his shooting will return and that will show in Summer League. 

I really don't see the Pacers making a big splash tonight with a trade and if it was me I would trade the 18th pick for a veteran player.  That is how they got Thadeus Young when they drafted like the 20th pick to Brooklyn and that has worked out pretty well.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really don't see the Pacers making a big splash tonight with a trade and if it was me I would trade the 18th pick for a veteran player.  That is how they got Thadeus Young when they drafted like the 20th pick to Brooklyn and that has worked out pretty well.

Young is solid, but you could argue it was a mistake as Lavert (that was the pick, right?) has developed into a really, really good player. Fit matters too of course, and Young has been good for the Pacers, but Lavert is really good. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Young is solid, but you could argue it was a mistake as Lavert (that was the pick, right?) has developed into a really, really good player. Fit matters too of course, and Young has been good for the Pacers, but Lavert is really good. 

Agree. If the Pacers are ever going to get over the hump, they need to take boom or bust guys when they're drafting in that range IMO. Thad has been solid, which in turn has helped the Pacers be solid, but boom or bust guys (Giannis is the biggest example recently I think), can elevate a team to contender status if they boom, or help the team get into the top 5/10 lottery pick if enough of them bust giving a team like the Pacers that isn't a FA destination a chance at a generational player without truly tanking to get there. 

I had the same feeling with Fultz so I'll just say this as well. I just don't get the Garland hype. Not because he spurned us but 5 games and not much to off of besides videos. I wish almost every kid the best tonight and in their careers....but the hype here just isn't sitting right. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have read articles that said the Pacers were in for Conley but was not willing to give up 2 fist round draft picks

I have read and have heard it was really all about the 32.5 and 34.5 he will make the next 2 years.  I wonder who else though.   Because as we have discussed, 18-25th picks are crapshoot.  2 late first rounders is nothing for a top 15 point guard.  But you have to make salaries get close so that had to us e a big role to play since pacers have, what, 7 guys on contract?  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have read and have heard it was really all about the 32.5 and 34.5 he will make the next 2 years.  I wonder who else though.   Because as we have discussed, 18-25th picks are crapshoot.  2 late first rounders is nothing for a top 15 point guard.  But you have to make salaries get close so that had to us e a big role to play since pacers have, what, 7 guys on contract?  

$65M for an aging point guard is the Knicks way of doing business. I'm glad we passed.

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well the Pacers have the salary cap room to absorb a lot of that salary and obviously what Memphis got back probably did not match salaries.  I would have offered Holiday, Leaf and the 18th pick for him.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well the Pacers have the salary cap room to absorb a lot of that salary and obviously what Memphis got back probably did not match salaries.  I would have offered Holiday, Leaf and the 18th pick for him.

Would have been a real good idea to send a bunch of expiring contracts instead of picks but somebody didn't think it was a good idea to blow up the bench of a team stuck in neutral.  Lol

Would have been a real good idea to send a bunch of expiring contracts instead of picks but somebody didn't think it was a good idea to blow up the bench of a team stuck in neutral.  Lol

Actually the Pacers only have 8 players under contract right now so they don't have much to trade.

VO

Turner

Sabonis

McDermott

Leaf

Summner

Holiday

Johnson

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Actually the Pacers only have 7 players under contract right now so they don't have much to trade.

VO

Turner

Sabonis

McDermott

Summner

Holiday

Johnson

I said that already about the 7 contracts. 

What went right over your head was our past discussuons about trading some of the 6 expiring contracts for something,  yet we did nothing.  Bad move.  Proven once again.  

I said that already about the 7 contracts. 

What went right over your head was our past discussuons about trading some of the 6 expiring contracts for something,  yet we did nothing.  Bad move.  Proven once again.  

I realize that after I posted this.  The Pacers feel like they can't tank seasons because they will lose the fan base because they saw it happen here in the early 80's when the pacers were the laughing stock of the league.  I remember they had to put curtains at the top level of Market Square arena because they were only getting 4,000 a night.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I realize that after I posted this.  The Pacers feel like they can't tank seasons because they will lose the fan base because they saw it happen here in the early 80's when the pacers were the laughing stock of the league.  I remember they had to put curtains at the top level of Market Square arena because they were only getting 4,000 a night.

Always short sighted, like I said yesterday.  

I'm giving Pritchard the next few weeks to impress.  McDermott has not panned out.  Don't know if he's just not a worker or what but the potential is there all day long to have a korver impact on the game.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Always short sighted, like I said yesterday.  

I'm giving Pritchard the next few weeks to impress.  McDermott has not panned out.  Don't know if he's just not a worker or what but the potential is there all day long to have a korver impact on the game.  

To me they did not use McDermott correctly because he needs to b eon the move but a lot of time they just put him in the corner.  I have been happy with Pritchard for the most part except for the Leaf pick and he has shown signs when he is given some minutes.  When you are in a small market like Indy you can't lose your fan base because it is hard to get them back.  In Philly they have so many people that they will still get enough fans to come even when they were tanking but in Indy you don't have that luxury.  Living around Indy all my life I have seen that a lot of fans are more of a high school and college fans than the NBA and if their NBA team is not winning they won't come out.

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Memphis wanted 2 1st rd picks and Aaron Holiday in return, Pacers shot it down real fast.  Only was Holiday might get traded IMO is if we land Russell in free agency or we get the #4 pick tonight(again likely not happening) and we draft Darius Garland. 

I would rather have Coby white than Darius Garland

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

He is a top 15 point guard, but the big issue is that his salary and his age are getting pretty close, and they both start with "3".  Guards do tend to have more longevity than big men, but it doesn't mean their performance can't go downhill just as quickly.  Case in point: Deron Williams.  DWill went from a top 10 PG to an above average starter in 2 years.  Dropped from 21pts/9ast to 14pts/6ast in the span of 2 seasons.  Not terrible numbers, but not worth 30M/year either.  He did go on to play about 4 more seasons, but never got back to that same level. And at the time, Williams was about a year younger than Conley is now. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

$65M for an aging point guard is the Knicks way of doing business. I'm glad we passed.

Agree.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had the same feeling with Fultz so I'll just say this as well. I just don't get the Garland hype. Not because he spurned us but 5 games and not much to off of besides videos. I wish almost every kid the best tonight and in their careers....but the hype here just isn't sitting right. 

Agree, it's a ridiculously small sample size to take a guy top 5. To me, that's just stupid -- but then I'm not sitting in a pre-draft workouts, and they of course matter. I'd still take a kid who proved himself over a season. 

BTW, here are Romeo's early games, since we're talking super small sample size and all, from the draft geniuses:

11/6 -- 7 of 12 for 19

11/9 -- 5 of 8 for 12

11/14 8 of 15 for 22

11/18 6 of 15 for 22 (8-9 at the line, 2-5 from the arc)

11/20 7 of 14 for 16

#4 pick? If he'd stopped there, apparently, according to the draft wizards 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree, it's a ridiculously small sample size to take a guy top 5. To me, that's just stupid -- but then I'm not sitting in a pre-draft workouts, and they of course matter. I'd still take a kid who proved himself over a season. 

BTW, here are Romeo's early games, since we're talking super small sample size and all, from the draft geniuses:

11/6 -- 7 of 12 for 19

11/9 -- 5 of 8 for 12

11/14 8 of 15 for 22

11/18 6 of 15 for 22 (8-9 at the line, 2-5 from the arc)

11/20 7 of 14 for 16

#4 pick? If he'd stopped there, apparently, according to the draft wizards 

Not much different that choosing kids right out of high school since they have no sample size to look at.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not much different Thaat choosing kids right out of high school since they have no sample size to look at.

The kids who can be chosen straight from high school are a much smaller, select few. 

The point I was making is that the media is salivating over Garland, calling him a top 3-4 pick -- NOT based on his high school play, but based on his first and only 5 games in college. 

Archived