2019 NBA Draft

I don't mind it if Dakich wants to play the neutral media guy in regards to IU, but to bad mouth Archie and the program at every turn is over the top and is no longer neutral in my book. It's reverse homerism or something like that.

I so hope that Archie gets IU really rolling and doesn't give DD the time of day when DD changes his tune and wants to turn into his good buddy.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It will be so hilarious when Romeo is getting minutes on the Celtics next year while Edwards is playing for the Maine Red Claws.

I just think it's interesting that both Romeo and Edwards, IU and Purdue, both theoretically shooting guards, will be on the same team.  Kyrie must be going somewhere else and if so, Edwards may have to play PG.  Can you see the two of them playing together?  Ia a way, that would be pretty cool!

A side note. Pretty surprising to see Bol Bol, in the green room, slide all the way to 44. Good move by Denver to acquire him. 7 footer who scores, rebounds, blocks and can hit the 3. Foot (I think the real reason he slid) apparently fully healed. If he stays healthy - the risk / question here - he can be really good and a monster steal at 44

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A side note. Pretty surprising to see Bol Bol, in the green room, slide all the way to 44. Good move by Denver to acquire him. 7 footer who scores, rebounds, blocks and can hit the 3. Foot (I think the real reason he slid) apparently fully healed. If he stays healthy - the risk / question here - he can be really good and a monster steal at 44

About where the got Jokic IIRC. Low risk/high upside pick at that point

29 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

From all the talk during the draft, it sounded like questions about his desire and motor contributed to his stock dropping just as much or more than the foot injury did.

33 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

From all the talk during the draft, it sounded like questions about his desire and motor contributed to his stock dropping just as much or more than the foot injury did.

That's what I saw reported as well. The foot injury, but then also a lot of questions about how motivated he is and how much he really loves basketball. Apparently he dogged it at some of the camps in high school and never showed much motivation. It was also reported that he's one of these kids that bounced around from prep school to prep school and then when he only played 9 games in college, he had nobody to vouch for him to teams when those questions came up.  

I heard some of that as well, but don’t buy the idea that caused him to fall all the way to 44. He had some very good games before the injury. At one point he was being projected top 5. They said some of the same things about Romeo, questioning his energy or fire — one of IN HS’s highest scoring prospects ever, and Boston grabbed him at 14. If Bol Bol hadn’t had a foot injury, you know 7-footer with a year-ending foot injury, he’d have been picked in the lottery 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's what I saw reported as well. The foot injury, but then also a lot of questions about how motivated he is and how much he really loves basketball. Apparently he dogged it at some of the camps in high school and never showed much motivation. It was also reported that he's one of these kids that bounced around from prep school to prep school and then when he only played 9 games in college, he had nobody to vouch for him to teams when those questions came up.  

In a way, kind of an interesting comparison with Romeo’s situation.  There were some rumors that teams had questions about Romeo’s energy/fire (or whatever you want to call it) based on his pretty emotionless demeanor.  Had he shut it down for the season after he hurt his thumb, his stock might have dropped a lot further than 14 due to the injury and questions about his personality, just like Bol did.  Instead, I would think that his decision to play through the injury went a long way toward answering any questions about his toughness or competitiveness.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Essentially tweeted out when Romeo was drafted that Archie turned a top 5 player into 14th pick in draft...and he quickly deleted after. I'll say this for Dakich. He's turned his zero talent self into a lifetime of income from IU. I guess I'd expect just a tad of appreciation but with most narcissist types....they just don't see their doing anything wrong.

My biggest beef with him saying this type of sh*t is that it's just not true.  Romero's stock was hurt by injuries, not Archie or IU. Because he went to and coached at IU doesn't mean he knows everything IU. 

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

My biggest beef with him saying this type of sh*t is that it's just not true.  Romero's stock was hurt by injuries, not Archie or IU. Because he went to and coached at IU doesn't mean he knows everything IU. 

Correct. Anyone with half a brain could see what was going on with Romeo in November. 

Yet he'll still maintain that Alford should be the coach after the crapfests that were the last couple of UCLA seasons with multiple 5*'s and other top 40-60ish recruits.  He did get Jaylen Hands (5* ranked 23) drafted 56th after 2 years at UCLA. 

5 hours ago, INDenizen said:

I don't mind it if Dakich wants to play the neutral media guy in regards to IU, but to bad mouth Archie and the program at every turn is over the top and is no longer neutral in my book. It's reverse homerism or something like that.

I so hope that Archie gets IU really rolling and doesn't give DD the time of day when DD changes his tune and wants to turn into his good buddy.

Hell, even Knight was neutral towards IU when he was with ESPN.  Yes, he refused to say anything about IU, but on the flip side.....he also refused to say anything negative about IU. 

The #1 objective of DD's job is to attract attention/ratings.  How do you do that with the masses? Be controversial.  Quick way to only attract a low IQ audience though. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I heard some of that as well, but don’t buy the idea that caused him to fall all the way to 44. He had some very good games before the injury. At one point he was being projected top 5. They said some of the same things about Romeo, questioning his energy or fire — one of IN HS’s highest scoring prospects ever, and Boston grabbed him at 14. If Bol Bol hadn’t had a foot injury, you know 7-footer with a year-ending foot injury, he’d have been picked in the lottery 

This is different than what was said about Langford. There's a difference between energy and fire/emotion on the court, and questioning someones work ethic and passion for the game. Nobody has every questioned whether Langford loves basketball or hard hard he works to improve his game. People are absolutely questioning those things about Bol, then add that he doesn't have any former coaches, mainly because he bounced around so much, vouching for him. 

While again, totally different criticisms, Langford has people like his high school coach, Archie, and others around Indiana vouching for him to potential teams. 

Then you add in Bol's injury which apparently didn't report well and also the fact that he's 208lbs and really doesn't have a position he can defend, and it all adds up to dropping to the mid-second round. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In a way, kind of an interesting comparison with Romeo’s situation.  There were some rumors that teams had questions about Romeo’s energy/fire (or whatever you want to call it) based on his pretty emotionless demeanor.  Had he shut it down for the season after he hurt his thumb, his stock might have dropped a lot further than 14 due to the injury and questions about his personality, just like Bol did.  Instead, I would think that his decision to play through the injury went a long way toward answering any questions about his toughness or competitiveness.

Replied to HH with the same, but there's a difference between questioning how emotional a player is on the court, which were the criticisms of Langford, and questioning how hard someone works at their game and if they really even love the game, which is what the criticism were of Bol. 

Nobody ever came away from these bigtime recruiting high school camps questioning Langford's work ethic, I don't recall anyone questioning his work ethic at IU or in high school. That's what people are questioning with Bol. The reports are that he's lazy and doesn't really work hard or have a passion for basketball. That's different then 'doesn't show emotion on the court'. 

Dakich is the only person I've heard refer to Romeo as a top 5 pick. The only time I ever heard Romeo and top 5 in the same sentence was in reference to his recruiting ranking. Perhaps Dakich confused the two?

Romeo was never going top 5 in this draft, or any draft. It was pretty obvious when we played Duke back in November that he wasn't even on the same planet as their freshmen.

Archived