Archie presser at Huber's Winery

Good watch.  You’re right that the full quote about Hunter in the video doesn’t come across as bad as it did in the tweet.  Sounds like they’ll reevaluate in July or August and see where he is... But still doesn’t sound like he’s overly confident about getting him back.

You can tell the question about shooting pissed him off.  “Shoot more... Shoot more!”  Doesn’t seem like they’re going to change anything up going into next season.  The comments about banking scholarships for 2020 sounded like putting lipstick on a pig.  Also thought it was interesting that he said the team needed some personality, and Brunk can bring that... When you think about it, we really haven’t had a player with any personality since Thomas Bryant.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Also thought it was interesting that he said the team needed some personality, and Brunk can bring that... When you think about it, we really haven’t had a player with any personality since Thomas Bryant.

If Brunk can bring some Sheehey/Kramer type "personality" and De'Ron keeps that little bit of an edge he started developing last year, opposing bigs will not enjoy playing us. 

47 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Alluded to chemistry at least 3-4 times in 17 minutes. Clearly there was an issue last year. 

Yeah, I think that was evident. A team starts off 12-2 and then tanks for the next 5-6 weeks...I mean, this season was ALMOST as maddening as Crean's final season. It was clearly locker room driven.

So yesterday I saw the below Mike Miller tweet and then some of the reactions on message boards and panicked a bit at the idea that Jerome Hunter might not be able to play next season. Fan panic, not real life panic.

The I read the Star article from last night and felt better about the comments. 

Now, I just actually listened to Archie's full presser, and quite honestly I think Mike Miller's tweet was ridiculous.  Talk about clickbait at it's finest. I know his job is to get eyeballs and clicks, I get it I worked in sports PR for years. But he literally took one small line out of a sentence and tweeted it with his own commentary around it. 

If you listen to the full presser, Archie sounds like a coach that is expecting Hunter to be available. He even later on commented on the flexibility they'll have with bigger guards in Hunter and Damezi that can shoot. 

IMO, this tweet is a clickbait, weak representation of what Archie said. 

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Yeah, I think that was evident. A team starts off 12-2 and then tanks for the next 5-6 weeks...I mean, this season was ALMOST as maddening as Crean's final season. It was clearly locker room driven.

I think chemistry on the court is more important. 

18 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is what happens when fans don’t give a guy time before ranting and raving on boards or radio. Michigan football fans created a toxic environment around their program post Lloyd Carr, which made things difficult for Rich Rod. Took them a decade to get out of it. I hope IU fans don’t do the same to anarchies, as I believe he does have what it takes but for various legitimate reasons, it takes time to build this thing up. 

57 minutes ago, Feathery said:

This is what happens when fans don’t give a guy time before ranting and raving on boards or radio. Michigan football fans created a toxic environment around their program post Lloyd Carr, which made things difficult for Rich Rod. Took them a decade to get out of it. I hope IU fans don’t do the same to anarchies, as I believe he does have what it takes but for various legitimate reasons, it takes time to build this thing up. 

I agree that it can take time for a coach to establish his system & develop a successful program.  Certainly many things didn't work out as the staff had intended from injuries to player development.  I do believe that any "honeymoon" is either over or near it's end - not saying we're anywhere near the point of calling for a change, but 2 full seasons and a couple of recruiting cycles have passed and I think we can expect to see some improvement in results.  I didn't read that entire article, but I note that it was written by a reporter from Louisville so there could be a bit of an agenda involved like everything in the news media these days. 

This team is in a really strange place right now in that it's hard to gauge what to expect next season.  The incoming freshman class isn't large or highly touted, yet looks to be solid, albeit with the uncertainty freshman players always bring.  We have no returning star players, that is players who were consistent performers previously.  What we do have are a mix of players that have shown flashes of solid play, a couple of guys that were slowed by injury last year and a guy with great promise covered in uncertainty.  I find it hard to even know what to expect - things could go either way.  No one has reason to feel we're going to challenge for the B10 title, but I guess the most realistic approach is to be patient and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, premature negativity and demand for immediate results comes with the territory of being a traditionally successful program.  Fans have a right to be disappointed and feel impatient, but I'll never understand the people who constantly gripe and complain while making repetitive absolute comments about the program.  If I ever felt that angry and negative about something I'd take a couple of steps back and find something else to focus on.

Finally, I have to say that Feathery's post has one of the best Fraudian autocorrects (in this context) in changing 'Archie" to 'anarchies'. lol 😁

Surprised that there has not been more discussion on how much disdain Archie seems to have for the using all 13 schollies.  In fact,. it does not sound like he even wants to use 12.  Sorry, @FW_Hoosier, I don't think Archie is putting lipstick on a pig with those remarks.  I genuinely feel he doesn't want to have more than 11 scholarship players.  Would he turn down a 12th that could really help the team?  No.  But, I don't think we'll see teams with 13 schollies any longer, unless it's a reward to a walk-on in the 2nd semester of his Senior year.

Well I thought a player (was it Morgan?) maddnit clear there was NO chemistry issues and that everyone got a long? Now it seems clear there was? Maybe I’m not remembering right.

chemistry issues can be big. Some people act like when you talk about “chemistry” you merely mean “eh I think that guy is annoying...” if half the rumors are true about things that happened between players I wouldn’t have been shocked to see SEVERAL more people transfer. In fact that’s what I expected and for as bad as it supposedly might have been between some, it would’ve explained a complete 180 out of nowhere mid season that looked like a team didn’t even want to compete with crap teams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Surprised that there has not been more discussion on how much disdain Archie seems to have for the using all 13 schollies.  In fact,. it does not sound like he even wants to use 12.  Sorry, @FW_Hoosier, I don't think Archie is putting lipstick on a pig with those remarks.  I genuinely feel he doesn't want to have more than 11 scholarship players.  Would he turn down a 12th that could really help the team?  No.  But, I don't think we'll see teams with 13 schollies any longer, unless it's a reward to a walk-on in the 2nd semester of his Senior year.

I just don’t buy it when Archie went hard after Brooks, Harris, and Quinones, and at least paid lip service to recruiting Watford. Maybe they wouldn’t have filled the 13th scholarship, but I don’t see how you can believe that Archie wasn’t trying hard to fill that 12th spot at the very least.  And with his comments about how it’s great to have “flexibility in 2020,” he’s really just kicking the can down the road as far as filling those scholarships goes.

The “having 13 scholarship players killed team chemistry” excuse is incredibly weak, IMO.  So Moore and Forrester, who hardly played the entire season (and really didn’t play so badly when they were on the floor), are entirely to blame for the team completely falling apart for two months?  Again, I don’t buy it.  And then you have the players coming out and explicitly saying the team was a close knit group... So either they are lying, Archie’s making excuses, or there was a pretty big disconnect between the team and the coaching staff last year.  I don’t know what to make of it.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I just don’t buy it when Archie went hard after Brooks, Harris, and Quinones, and at least paid lip service to recruiting Watford. Maybe they wouldn’t have filled the 13th scholarship, but I don’t see how you can believe that Archie wasn’t trying hard to fill that 12th spot at the very least.  And with his comments about how it’s great to have “flexibility in 2020,” he’s really just kicking the can down the road as far as filling those scholarships goes.

The “having 13 scholarship players killed team chemistry” excuse is incredibly weak, IMO.  So Moore and Forrester, who hardly played the entire season (and really didn’t play so badly when they were on the floor), are entirely to blame for the team completely falling apart for two months?  Again, I don’t buy it.  And then you have the players coming out and explicitly saying the team was a close knit group... So either they are lying, Archie’s making excuses, or there was a pretty big disconnect between the team and the coaching staff last year.  I don’t know what to make of it.

I think if Brooks or one of the others had committed, we would have had an additional transfer.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think if Brooks or one of the others had committed, we would have had an additional transfer.

Exactly.  None of these kids wants buried on the bench.  While IU is in talent upgrade mode, I think Archie is OK with an occasional transfer.  Once he gets all the talent he wants, I think he'll be more satisfied to run with 11 or 12.

I’m very happy with the guys we are going after in recruiting. If we land a good four man class with the profiles Archie is on, I think we will solidify a path to success.  I don’t think it will happen overnight but we could finally have the mentality, smarts, and fight we have wanted for years, frankly. 

Archived