Damezi in his 2nd year

The opportunity is there next season for Damezi to really shine. I think this is up there at 1 or 2 along with J Hunter on what could really be a pleasant surprise. Obviously Morgan had great things to say about Damezi and I know the coaching staff was still high on him over last season. But I would holding back if I didn't pass a long additional info I've been passed.

it’s going to take some time with him. This year at media day before the season started, Damezi said he was really struggling to adjust because he’s “never had to pass that much before.” That blew my mind but it made sense because his offense in high school was just GET DAMEZI THE BALL. I never really forgot that and paid attention to it all year. His offense struggled because of confidence issues stemming from his struggle to adjust to team basketball. He’s got the skills, but he really needs time to adjust to everything

The potential rise of Damezi over the next 4 or so months is going to be interesting and extremely important to this team. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great topic.  With so much unclear for this season, and going forward,  it's fun to guess on how young players will develop.

Damezi definitely looked lost on defense, and the above explanation helps explain some lack of confidence on offense.  My hope for him this year would be to become a role player that occasionally gets hot from deep.  If Northwestern can have random people go off and beat superior teams, why can't we?  It appeared he shot with more confidence early in the season, and his shot declined as his confidence with everything else decreased.  

Michigan had many guys during the Beilein era that started rough and really came around as upperclassmen. Michigan State and Wisky have had their share as well.  Here's to hoping Damezi and a couple others can work their asses off to start that trend for Archie.

^^ Demezi is already a good shooter, can definitely see him making a legit frosh to soph jump. It's all about adjusting to the college game/timing.

We have had guys like that, see Hartman, for example. Some posted interest in seeing Hartman transfer after his frosh season, always a bad idea to post that kind of stuff, frankly, and in his case showed how much a guy can grow after a year or two of college ball. 

Another thing that may help is the growth of our front court. We lose Juwan, but we've added depth that will help spread the floor. Here's to hoping he gets that shooting going.

20 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I think he will improve some, but probably not have a break out season until his JR year.  I look for Armaan to take a lot minutes this season

Will be interesting to see how minutes are split between Damezi and Armaan.  I expect Armaan to have his freshman struggles 

Damezi is going to be a key player for us over the next several years. Offensively he has the ability to take over games. If he can just have steady improvement (see AL this year) if he can stick it out til he is a senior he can give us something special. Kid can fill it up and has a quick release as any I’ve seen.

Just now, Reacher said:

Will be interesting to see how minutes are split between Damezi and Armaan.  I expect Armaan to have his freshman struggles 

I just want Armaan to bring it defensively this year...a few effort buckets here and there. Damezi needs to play some big minutes to back up Jerome.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Damezi is going to be a key player for us over the next several years. Offensively he has the ability to take over games. If he can just have steady improvement (see AL this year) if he can stick it out til he is a senior he can give us something special. Kid can fill it up and has a quick release as any I’ve seen.

He has to improve his defense a ton or he will not see the floor and Franklin will likely get his minutes. 

44 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I think he will improve some, but probably not have a break out season until his JR year.  I look for Armaan to take a lot minutes this season

Long before the age of the OAD.  There was the age of, "The Sophomore Slump".  Only to be followed up by a greatly improved Junior year.  And finished off by a seasoned Senior season, that not only did a coach have patience with developing over four years, and the kid willing to stay, rather than transfer, which led to a great finish to a college BB career.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Long before the age of the OAD.  There was the age of, "The Sophomore Slump".  Only to be followed up by a greatly improved Junior year.  And finished off by a seasoned Senior season, that not only did a coach have patience with developing over four years, and the kid willing to stay, rather than transfer, which led to a great finish to a college BB career.

Alford had a sophomore slump after a great freshman year

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Alford had a sophomore slump after a great freshman year

Yep. It was a real thing.  Not just at IU. But all over college BB.  Coaches stayed with their players, after a down season.  And players did not look at other programs, blaming the HC for a down year. 

I've mentioned this at least once before but I watched Damezi warming up before the Arkansas NIT game and I think he hit like 12-13 3's in a row and looked great doing it.  If he can translate 40% of that efficiency into a game, he'll be a weapon.

Also, for everyone who says he looked lost on defense, I'll give you that...especially early in the season.  After hearing that repeated again and again, I made a point of watching him the few times he got into games later in the season and while the form and footwork wasn't real polished, he always played with great energy on defense, so I'm very high on his potential.  Don't know when the mental switch gets flipped, but look out when it does.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I've mentioned this at least once before but I watched Damezi warming up before the Arkansas NIT game and I think he hit like 12-13 3's in a row and looked great doing it.  If he can translate 40% of that efficiency into a game, he'll be a weapon.

Also, for everyone who says he looked lost on defense, I'll give you that...especially early in the season.  After hearing that repeated again and again, I made a point of watching him the few times he got into games later in the season and while the form and footwork wasn't real polished, he always played with great energy on defense, so I'm very high on his potential.  Don't know when the mental switch gets flipped, but look out when it does.

Thanks for the reminder. Lot's of potential, IHMO. In the end, it's all up to the kid as to how much he is willing to work,  to improve his game.  No greater example than Oladipo. 

59 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

"Struggling to adjust to team basketball" on offense is an odd claim. Wasn't his SB Riley team full of juniors and seniors? I don't believe it was like Damezi and a bunch of scrubs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong obviously.

I watched SB Riley once when Damezi was a senior.  It was later in the tournament I think.  I know it was only one game but I remember thinking that this team won on talent alone and looked like the players had no coaching.  If that one game is accurate it is no wonder why Damezi struggled.  I thought it looked like he had never truly been coached.  Just one guy’s opinion based on only one game so take it for what it’s worth.

46 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

And until 1972-73, college freshmen couldn't play varsity basketball at all.  Seems so quaint now.

The NCAA act like they are helpless because of the NBA rules. Go back to can’t play as freshman. Thus the NBA couldn’t really evaluate the kids until they are sophomores. First off kids have to get a full year of academics to show they are serious and by the time they are done as sophomores close to graduating. These non serious kids who want to be one and done will just go play ball in Europe or sit out a year. The NBA would benefit because the kids would get an extra year of growth and working out and they would be more ready to contribute right away and save them a year of paying them. There would be some kids go to prep schools etc and Europe but the vast majority would have to work for a year at school and be sophomores. 

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

"Struggling to adjust to team basketball" on offense is an odd claim. Wasn't his SB Riley team full of juniors and seniors? I don't believe it was like Damezi and a bunch of scrubs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong obviously.

If I remember correctly it was a ton of seniors and 3 of them were 1,000 point scorers. But as the above poster mentioned, they won on talent not on tactics. 

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. It was a real thing.  Not just at IU. But all over college BB.  Coaches stayed with their players, after a down season.  And players did not look at other programs, blaming the HC for a down year. 

Yep. Of course that's when players parents had patience. 861 transfers this offseason so far. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Of course that's when players parents had patience. 861 transfers this offseason so far. 

Parents aren't to blame for not having patience themselves. Parents are to blame for not teaching their kids to have patience.

Archived