Damezi in his 2nd year

On the flip side back in the day transferring was so abnormal, maybe players didn't want the negative press that came with it.  It is way more accepted and barely even questioned anymore.  Just 10 years ago if an IU player transferred out, some would dig way below playing time, fit, or wanting to be closer to home.  Many would be ridiculed for character and behavior, maybe rightfully so.  It's just more normal now than before and viewed as not that big of a deal.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, dgambill said:

The NCAA act like they are helpless because of the NBA rules. Go back to can’t play as freshman. Thus the NBA couldn’t really evaluate the kids until they are sophomores. First off kids have to get a full year of academics to show they are serious and by the time they are done as sophomores close to graduating. These non serious kids who want to be one and done will just go play ball in Europe or sit out a year. The NBA would benefit because the kids would get an extra year of growth and working out and they would be more ready to contribute right away and save them a year of paying them. There would be some kids go to prep schools etc and Europe but the vast majority would have to work for a year at school and be sophomores. 

If it was truly about amateur athletic competition, this would definitely be the way to go IMO, but since it is really about $ never going to happen.

While it's right to look at the kids, parents and 'transfer culture' regarding not sticking with a program I also have to wonder what the coach is selling them on. 

I'd have to think in most case of transferring it's not about dreams of playing in the NBA. A kid who can't get playing time on a college team in most cases is never going to sniff the NBA. It comes down to playing time and their role on the team. As pointed out, there are programs like Wisconsin that let the kids develop their first 2 years and then they make an impact in their final 2 years. Is it the kids they are coaching or is it effective communication between coach and player? Is the coach recruiting the right player for their system and culture? 

Of all the things we want Archie to be, this is high on my list. We need to develop that 'next man up mentality', but we need to have those juniors and seniors in place to be that next man. I don't know anything for fact, but I'm guessing in many cases Crean either oversold or took too many chances on players that weren't right for IU (or even D1 basketball....haha). I think Hartman is the only kid who developed and contributed later in his career. I'm not counting Oladipo and Sheehey because they had decent minutes for freshmen. I'm talking about freshmen like Odle and Coverdale - guys who barely saw any PT their first couple of years, but became major contributors. Guys who knew that their role as underclassmen was to develop - scholarship players number 11,12, and 13.

From what I've heard and read, Damezi understands his role. He knows he needs to develop and he wants to work hard. Even though he didn't get major minutes, it's clear from interviews that he is a valuable member to this team. I want the best for this kid, but I also think as a fan base we need to re-learn patience for these types of players and what's it's like to have 4 year players because we really haven't had that many in the last 10 years (at least not compared to other successful programs). If he doesn't blow you away next season it doesn't mean he's a lost cause. 

19 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

The opportunity is there next season for Damezi to really shine. I think this is up there at 1 or 2 along with J Hunter on what could really be a pleasant surprise. Obviously Morgan had great things to say about Damezi and I know the coaching staff was still high on him over last season. But I would holding back if I didn't pass a long additional info I've been passed.

it’s going to take some time with him. This year at media day before the season started, Damezi said he was really struggling to adjust because he’s “never had to pass that much before.” That blew my mind but it made sense because his offense in high school was just GET DAMEZI THE BALL. I never really forgot that and paid attention to it all year. His offense struggled because of confidence issues stemming from his struggle to adjust to team basketball. He’s got the skills, but he really needs time to adjust to everything

The potential rise of Damezi over the next 4 or so months is going to be interesting and extremely important to this team. 

11 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

If I remember correctly it was a ton of seniors and 3 of them were 1,000 point scorers. But as the above poster mentioned, they won on talent not on tactics. 

Your follow up post about the lack of coaching makes sense - thank you.

I'm still confused about the info you were passed. If the team had a ton of seniors and 3 of them were 1,000 point scorers, the entire narrative of the info you were passed seems suspect. Obviously the offense was not "Get Damezi the ball" and "Passing? What is passing?"

If he was never really coached in high school, I don't think we will see much out of Damezi again this season. NCAA rules on number of hours you can spend coaching college players means he can't catch up on the 4 years of basic coaching he never received in high school. Also odd that this wasn't a major red flag in the player evaluation if true.

Edit to say: I appreciate all of the info you share on this board and especially anything you pass along that gives insight to the team or individual players. I hope you aren't offended if I question that info when it conflicts with publicly known information.

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've mentioned this at least once before but I watched Damezi warming up before the Arkansas NIT game and I think he hit like 12-13 3's in a row and looked great doing it.  If he can translate 40% of that efficiency into a game, he'll be a weapon.

Also, for everyone who says he looked lost on defense, I'll give you that...especially early in the season.  After hearing that repeated again and again, I made a point of watching him the few times he got into games later in the season and while the form and footwork wasn't real polished, he always played with great energy on defense, so I'm very high on his potential.  Don't know when the mental switch gets flipped, but look out when it does.

Agree. I saw a guy with confidence and some 'swagger' early on in the season, but the game was just too fast for him. If he puts in the work, the game slows down, and most importantly, though probably also worrisome, his bball IQ catches up, I think Damezi could be a great contributor. I'm pulling for him because he seems like a good kid, typically plays hard, and I think IU could use some of his attitude, and shooting of course. 

It will mostly come down to how quickly/if he can pick up the schemes/IQ part of basketball at this level. 

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I saw a guy with confidence and some 'swagger' early on in the season, but the game was just too fast for him. If he puts in the work, the game slows down, and most importantly, though probably also worrisome, his bball IQ catches up, I think Damezi could be a great contributor. I'm pulling for him because he seems like a good kid, typically plays hard, and I think IU could use some of his attitude, and shooting of course. 

It will mostly come down to how quickly/if he can pick up the schemes/IQ part of basketball at this level. 

I remember the leap Victor took from his freshman season to sophomore year. Not saying some of these guys will or can do that but I do know between Jordy, Vic, Cody and others they wore out their key card to Cook Hall. Hoping some of these guys will follow suit because just with life only way to improve is to put the work in. 

I think the real issue is that many HS kids including those playing high AAU have no clue how to play D1 defense. They are lazy...rely on athleticism and size. Coach Cal talks about it every year...he has to tear down the kids and build them back up because they’ve never consistently played defense against other elite players...and even more so know how to play good TEAM defense...shoot few HS coaches spend time focusing on proper spacing and help defense and half the time they play a lazy 2-3 zone because other HS kids can’t shoot...or play a trapping defense and their size and athleticism over whelms the other team. Now offensively these kids are so gifted they can get any shot they want over anyone. They don’t know what it is like to work hard to get open. Move when off the ball. To realize how to move to open areas and cut/screen few kids get taught the importance or perfect it. That is why the special few that are coaches sons like Galloway etc are so important. It won’t take forever but yes most freshman can’t contribute right away because of this. The ones that do are typically athletically super gifted or skills very advanced. Damezi with an entire year and full offseason should start to make strides. But how many star HS kids you see just follow the ball from left to right asking for it at the top of the key and then take their man 1-1...too many..few know how to move without the ball and even if coaches show them they don’t spend enough time forcing them to do it. If the play isn’t for them they stand pouting on the wing.

Here's the interesting thing about this season. Only 11 scholarship players, and only 5 of them return as any kind of significant contributors from last year. Going into the season, everyone on this roster has a real chance to be a contributor. I did not feel like that was the case last offseason, with 13 scholarship guys + McRoberts, there were 3-4 guys you pretty much knew weren't going to play barring injury.

So Damezi will get his chance. The game seemed too fast for him last year, but lots of kids go through that and then get better with experience. I hope he does too, because we are dying for a shooter.

Damezi may have had issues on the defensive end, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort.  I always felt there is a motor there.  If he’s got the determination and aptitude, he can take a big step up.  We need legit wings.  

Another guy who has potential for a turn around is Justin Smith.  He’s got experience under his belt.  He’s seen adversity and he knows how tough it is.  Hopefully he turns all that into a positive.  I will say, he needs to really be working on his game though, and his skill set.  If he only has interior skills again next year, he’s got Brunk, Davis, TJD, and even Race all with the ability to play big over him.  

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Damezi may have had issues on the defensive end, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort.  I always felt there is a motor there.  If he’s got the determination and aptitude, he can take a big step up.  We need legit wings.  

Another guy who has potential for a turn around is Justin Smith.  He’s got experience under his belt.  He’s seen adversity and he knows how tough it is.  Hopefully he turns all that into a positive.  I will say, he needs to really be working on his game though, and his skill set.  If he only has interior skills again next year, he’s got Brunk, Davis, TJD, and even Race all with the ability to play big over him.  

Agree on all this.  Smith will definitely need to make big improvements to see the floor often

8 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I believe Justin will answer the call. Two reasons: 1) I think he has the character to improve. 2) I think that Archie believes in him.

Agreed....one thing Justin has going for him...when he is motivated and locked in he can guard 1-4. He can switch onto anyone...he can guard on the perimeter he has elite athleticism and combination of quick feet and flexibility...and his size and length...there were times he was our best defender by a long shot so if he can just improve steadily on offense to hit a jumper he can take a big step up.

I have decided to jump on the Justin Smith for most improved train.  Take what @dgambill just said, add to it that Justin stayed on campus in may to work, not only on his game but academics.  He is majoring in business by the way.  

I'm choosing to forget the disappearing act and chalk it up to immaturity.  If Justin comes back ferociously as a top 3-4 player on the team, that will go a long ways towards a tourney berth.  

22 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I believe Justin will answer the call. Two reasons: 1) I think he has the character to improve. 2) I think that Archie believes in him.

I agree as well.

For context here, worth pointing out that Smith was our 3rd-leading scorer in conference (8.2), at 50% 2-point FGs (eFG% of .51%), and tied for 2nd in total rebounds in conf (5.2).

He shot only 50% from the line, however. Improving his FT shooting alone will make him a better and more effective player offensively. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, NotIThatLives said:

I have decided to jump on the Justin Smith for most improved train.  Take what @dgambill just said, add to it that Justin stayed on campus in may to work, not only on his game but academics.  He is majoring in business by the way.  

I'm choosing to forget the disappearing act and chalk it up to immaturity.  If Justin comes back ferociously as a top 3-4 player on the team, that will go a long ways towards a tourney berth.  

So will justin be able to be a grad transfer after next year? Could be setting himself up for that? No doubt he has some unique gifts athletically to be a two way player if he was to get his game right. Justin needs to get in the corner and shoot like 1000 threes a day...then work on his handles and getting to the hoop under control. If he does improve we should have a pretty good front line next year.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So will justin be able to be a grad transfer after next year? Could be setting himself up for that? No doubt he has some unique gifts athletically to be a two way player if he was to get his game right. Justin needs to get in the corner and shoot like 1000 threes a day...then work on his handles and getting to the hoop under control. If he does improve we should have a pretty good front line next year.

The athletic ability is there.  If I had to guess if he has the Vic gene, so far, I haven't seen it translate on the floor.  He evidently is working hard in the classroom to be all B1G and be taking may term or summer classes.  He very well may be setting himself up nicely to have a boatload of options.  Like you said, that corner 3, his athleticism,  ability to defend multiple positions if he puts it all together....

On 6/3/2019 at 8:57 AM, NotIThatLives said:

What's not to like about a work ethic like that ? 

Reminds me of the summer that De'Ron Davis stayed on campus, rather than going back home.  To rehab and work on his game after surgery.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why would you surmise that he is positioning himself to go elsewhere? Why couldn’t he just be a 4 year Hoosier? 

If he improves as you suggest, and the rest of the team does as well, it would seem to me that he’ d be in a better position staying put 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why would you surmise that he is positioning himself to go elsewhere? Why couldn’t he just be a 4 year Hoosier? 

If he improves as you suggest, and the rest of the team does as well, it would seem to me that he’ d be in a better position staying put 

Nothing...just that he should be in position to graduate in 3 years if he is taking extra summer classes...thus would give him the opportunity to pick where he plays if PT becomes an issue with TJD coming in and possibly taking his starting position at the 4.....I have no issues though with Justin and do hope he takes a step forward this year.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nothing...just that he should be in position to graduate in 3 years if he is taking extra summer classes...thus would give him the opportunity to pick where he plays if PT becomes an issue with TJD coming in and possibly taking his starting position at the 4.....I have no issues though with Justin and do hope he takes a step forward this year.

The word at the time was that Cody Zeller was positioning himself to graduate early. Later, we found out,  that did not happen.  Not saying you are wrong.  Just that when players have designs on the NBA....perhaps the drive to get a degree lessens.  I don't think that is the case with Justin.

There has only been a small number of guys actually graduate in 3 years without a redshirt/medical or a transfer and sit previously.  Vic and Hulls.  Who else?  I'm sure it happens around the country but it's rare.  Most likely,  these guys take 12 hours or so during season to focus on ball and grabbing 3-6 during summer keeps them on track to graduate in 4.  

On 6/2/2019 at 7:55 PM, dgambill said:

Agreed....one thing Justin has going for him...when he is motivated and locked in he can guard 1-4. He can switch onto anyone...he can guard on the perimeter he has elite athleticism and combination of quick feet and flexibility...and his size and length...there were times he was our best defender by a long shot so if he can just improve steadily on offense to hit a jumper he can take a big step up.

When Justin was locked in on D and able to score on the move, we were very tough to beat (see the Michigan State games).  Basically, if Morgan was a post player, we got almost nothing out of the forward position.  When we did, which was pretty uncommon, we were good.

I think we will be good inside and at point guard.  Green may surprise as a shooting guard.  The question is that forward spot on the drive or shooting a jumper.  Guys like Hunter and Anderson are key to this team taking a step up.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

When Justin was locked in on D and able to score on the move, we were very tough to beat (see the Michigan State games).  Basically, if Morgan was a post player, we got almost nothing out of the forward position.  When we did, which was pretty uncommon, we were good.

I think we will be good inside and at point guard.  Green may surprise as a shooting guard.  The question is that forward spot on the drive or shooting a jumper.  Guys like Hunter and Anderson are key to this team taking a step up.  

The big question I have is how do we handle the 12-15 minutes a game when Rob sits. Al has no play making ability and while he can handle the ball he is not really a guy that is going to initiate the offense and make plays for others. Green certainly has the handles and skills to make plays but he still hasn’t shown he can play under control and make smart decisions. I’m really hoping he can mature this offseason and bring that portion of his game up to the improved shooting he had at the end of the year last year. If Smith doesn’t make that leap we have other options...Green however is going to be the biggest reason if we have a successful season or not. We are counting on guys like Rob and Jerome and others but to take that next leap to the tournament it will be Green I think the biggest reason.

Archived