Board of Trustees Election / BTN Revenue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, rico said:

Great stuff fellas.....really great stuff.

Totally agree Rico!....I love traversing through this wonderful site. It's truly second to none. IMHO, Hoosiersportsnation is the most informative and creditable site available, both free and paid....Bar none! 

This post personifies the various levels of interests and concerns we have for our beloved Indiana University. I love being able to read, discuss and disect the inner workings of this great school among like minded fans. In other words,....it's refreshing to know when I peruse through HSN there is a great sense of civility and intelligence present among posts, especially this one. 

13 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

This statement is off base IMO.  Purdue global is a shill of an online degree program.  Instead of developing a curriculum that meets the standards of their university academically they instead took the easy route and bought a company with all their courses and degrees already built in.  What value does a Purdue global student get when they get a degree that literally was just slapped with the Purdue name on it?  Instead of taking a thoughtful approach and making sure faculty that are subject matter experts deliver a course that can equal the knowledge that is expected of their degree?  ASU is the online leader because they developed their online program with the latter approach.  Kelley Direct at IU and UNC in online MBA have done this as well.  Mitch has opted for the corporate quick fix.  What I don’t know and for Purdue alumni sake hopefully they are taking a long term approach to getting those online programs to meet an academic standard one would expect from Purdue.  Otherwise that degree loses value daily.

It was a business decision first not an academic one.  That's the difference and why Purdue has been forging ahead while keeping costs down.  Take care of business first, keep the budget in line, and then you can have the freedom to make positive moves academically without being financially hampered.  Like Purdue teaming up with Subaru or whoever it was over there.  

More to your point, many of people getting online degrees are those adding certificates or 2nd majors.  How many times has an employer asked for your transcripts?   I'm sure in some sectors where you went and how you did hold weight but by and large, your interview and how you carry yourself sell just as important.   

Attached is the list of  pursue global master's degree fields.  Even though they say 100% online, you aren't getting a nursing, education, or behavioral health degree without many hours in the field.  Interestingly to me, Arizona st offers 17 master's field options Purdue global 10,  az offers engineering.   Again you aren't getting that degree without serious lab and field work, which leads me to believe, Purdue is actually doing it right, get the business side flowing properly and then add the academic side.  

Screenshot_20190606-093619.png

1 hour ago, rico said:

Does this coincide with an administration pay increase?

They needed more money to pay six-figure salaries to the newly-hired Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, Assistant to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, and Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

It was a business decision first not an academic one.  That's the difference and why Purdue has been forging ahead while keeping costs down.  Take care of business first, keep the budget in line, and then you can have the freedom to make positive moves academically without being financially hampered.  Like Purdue teaming up with Subaru or whoever it was over there.  

More to your point, many of people getting online degrees are those adding certificates or 2nd majors.  How many times has an employer asked for your transcripts?   I'm sure in some sectors where you went and how you did hold weight but by and large, your interview and how you carry yourself sell just as important.   

Attached is the list of  pursue global master's degree fields.  Even though they say 100% online, you aren't getting a nursing, education, or behavioral health degree without many hours in the field.  Interestingly to me, Arizona st offers 17 master's field options Purdue global 10,  az offers engineering.   Again you aren't getting that degree without serious lab and field work, which leads me to believe, Purdue is actually doing it right, get the business side flowing properly and then add the academic side.  

Screenshot_20190606-093619.png

Giving someone a degree without actually vetting the faculty is a slippery slope.  They can fix that over the years but their rep has taken a hit.  In the long run it may not matter but they have diluted their academics for financial gains short term.  May work in their favor long term but it’s a risk.

But more to your point certs are 100 percent where it’s at and IU does this in spades.  Deals with NFL, John Deer, Samsung, just to name a few.  Purdue isn’t doing anything all major Universities aren’t  doing.  Certainly are the next revenue generator and to state IU isn’t doing it or that Purdue is the only leader is not right IMO

https://www.edx.org/school/iux

https://online.iu.edu/

https://kelley.iu.edu/programs/executive-education/index.cshtml

https://kelley.iu.edu/programs/executive-degree-programs/partner-programs/corporate-partners/nfl-players-association/index.cshtml

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

They needed more money to pay six-figure salaries to the newly-hired Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, Assistant to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, and Assistant to the Assistant to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.

True story:

The former headquarters building of Bethlehem Steel was designed in the shape of a cross rather than the usual square or rectangle.  Why?

To accommodate all the requests for corner offices for the legions of "directors" and "division vice presidents". 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Appreciate the link.

What that article does most definitively is expose Zach's lack of understanding of accounting principals.  It's also pretty apparent based on his examples that IU is siphoning much more revenue from it's athletic department than competing Big Ten schools.

“The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

That's one building project supported by IU athletics.  Two more projects are referenced in the article.  How many other uses of athletic department funds are not referenced here?  You can amortize each project over several years, but at some point, all of these draws on athletic department revenues become real significant cash flows out of the department while Fred Glass is soliciting donations to fund needs in the athletic department.  Why do you think he feels a need to chase alumni cash?  Perhaps because McRobbie is siphoning off too much cash flow from athletics?  That would seem to be a logical conclusion.

Should we feel satisfied or even proud that IU is 28th in athletic spending?  Looking at the database referenced, Ohio State is 3rd, Michigan is 4th, Penn State is 14th, Wisconsin is 15th, Iowa is 18th, Michigan state is 21st, Nebraska is 23rd, and Minnesota is 25th.  IU is EIGHTH in the Big Ten conference.  Is it any wonder IU struggles to compete when it's athletic spending is mid-pack in it's own conference?  The more I think about the article, the more disgusted I am with the McRobbing of the athletic piggy bank to fund pet academic projects to the point that the AD feels compelled to  fund more than 10% of his operations through donations and fundraising efforts.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/7/20/varsity-club-iu-athletics-sets-new-fundraising-record.aspx

I'm sure Osterman's goal was to tamp down the anger over athletic department fund diversion, but at least for me personally, it's only served to reinforce my belief that IU academics takes a greater percentage of athletic revenues than many schools IU is asked to compete with. 

What a crock.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate the link.

What that article does most definitively is expose Zach's lack of understanding of accounting principals.  It's also pretty apparent based on his examples that IU is siphoning much more revenue from it's athletic department than competing Big Ten schools.

“The $53 million building was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

That's one building project supported by IU athletics.  Two more projects are referenced in the article.  How many other uses of athletic department funds are not referenced here?  You can amortize each project over several years, but at some point, all of these draws on athletic department revenues become real significant cash flows out of the department while Fred Glass is soliciting donations to fund needs in the athletic department.  Why do you think he feels a need to chase alumni cash?  Perhaps because McRobbie is siphoning off too much cash flow from athletics?  That would seem to be a logical conclusion.

Should we feel satisfied or even proud that IU is 28th in athletic spending?  Looking at the database referenced, Ohio State is 3rd, Michigan is 4th, Penn State is 14th, Wisconsin is 15th, Iowa is 18th, Michigan state is 21st, Nebraska is 23rd, and Minnesota is 25th.  IU is EIGHTH in the Big Ten conference.  Is it any wonder IU struggles to compete when it's athletic spending is mid-pack in it's own conference?  The more I think about the article, the more disgusted I am with the McRobbing of the athletic piggy bank to fund pet academic projects to the point that the AD feels compelled to  fund more than 10% of his operations through donations and fundraising efforts.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/7/20/varsity-club-iu-athletics-sets-new-fundraising-record.aspx

I'm sure Osterman's goal was to tamp down the anger over athletic department fund diversion, but at least for me personally, it's only served to reinforce my belief that IU academics takes a greater percentage of athletic revenues than many schools IU is asked to compete with. 

What a crock.

And to me, what is worse, is that the money McRobbie siphoned off really appears to be a vanity project to me.  International studies?  That is the type of degree a kid gets and then gets out of school and finds out that his/her best prospects with that degree are extremely limited, particularly in Indiana and the Midwest and they end up waiting tables with a mountain of debt.

I actually am fine with the hospital and allowing the expansion of the nursing program.  That actually benefits students and the state of Indiana at large.  But International Studies?  That is just a vanity project for the international guy running the school....feels like a pretty big waste of $50 million to me at a time when the dorms are moldy and our closest instate competitor has frozen tuition while we are raising it again.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And to me, what is worse, is that the money McRobbie siphoned off really appears to be a vanity project to me.  International studies?  That is the type of degree a kid gets and then gets out of school and finds out that his/her best prospects with that degree are extremely limited, particularly in Indiana and the Midwest and they end up waiting tables with a mountain of debt.

I actually am fine with the hospital and allowing the expansion of the nursing program.  That actually benefits students and the state of Indiana at large.  But International Studies?  That is just a vanity project for the international guy running the school....feels like a pretty bug waste of $50 million to me at a time when the dorms are moldy and our closest instate competitor has frozen tuition while we are raising it again.

Damn if you didn't hit the nail square on the head. You don't redecorate when the roof is leaking.

I say this as a very proud alumnus, but Bloomington doesn't need to be Oxford. There needs to be some level of practicality to programs of study that are offered. I have no problem with investing into programs that Indiana is known for or expanding into programs such as medicine/nursing that offer legitimate careers to students and enhance society in general. I also have no problem with investing into campus infrastructure. If they said we're using $50M of BTN money to renovate dorms, go for it. That's a practical need. Starting a nursing program? Enhancing Kelley/Jacobs/other known IU strengths? By all means. But spending on a program just to say you have that program, no.

No building should be funded from cash revenues. Universities can issue tax exempt bonds for capital projects. Interests rates are historically low. In this environment, any administration that isn’t issuing long term tax-exempt bonds to fund new construction or renovation is committing financial malpractice. 

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No building should be funded from cash revenues. Universities can issue tax exempt bonds for capital projects. Interests rates are historically low. In this environment, any administration that isn’t issuing long term tax-exempt bonds to fund new construction or renovation is committing financial malpractice. 

Bingo. Why use cash when you can finance....especially with where interest rates are at. Someone should ask Osterman if he covered that in his article. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bingo. Why use cash when you can finance....especially with where interest rates are at. Someone should ask Osterman if he covered that in his article. 

I doubt he has any understanding of arbitrage.  He really should have just skipped the article.  It isn't really fair to bitch about a lack of athletic  success when you financially handicap the athletic department.  At 8th in conference spending, it's impressive IU athletics are as successful as they are.  It certainly isn't because the school is spending more money on athletics than it's competitors.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I doubt he has any understanding of arbitrage.  He really should have just skipped the article.  It isn't really fair to bitch about a lack of athletic  success when you financially handicap the athletic department.  At 8th in conference spending, it's impressive IU athletics are as successful as they are.  It certainly isn't because the school is spending more money on athletics than it's competitors.

Wonder if they’re discussing arbitrage on Rupp Rafters?

Thanks for the link, Andy.

The article appears to have been Eccentric Fred's idea.  He called up Zach and "advocated" for a one-sided narrative.  If you listen to Fred regularly, you will see that the substance of the article is right out of Fred's normal self-indulging, narcissistic point of view.

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for the link, Andy.

The article appears to have been Eccentric Fred's idea.  He called up Zach and "advocated" for a one-sided narrative.  If you listen to Fred regularly, you will see that the substance of the article is right out of Fred's normal self-indulging, narcissistic point of view.

Is that speculation on your part that Glass called Osterman and suggested the article, or is that what the “insiders” have been saying?

Archived