Board of Trustees Election / BTN Revenue

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for the link, Andy.

The article appears to have been Eccentric Fred's idea.  He called up Zach and "advocated" for a one-sided narrative.  If you listen to Fred regularly, you will see that the substance of the article is right out of Fred's normal self-indulging, narcissistic point of view.

Which begs the question...why on earth would he advocate for money to be pilfered from his department to the point that his department feels a need to raise $12 million from athletic donors?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just fight for the TV revenue to stay in the athletic department?  I'd rather see a Hoosier Lodge than some worthless global studies Taj Majal.  Nationally strong athletic profiles are some of the best advertisement a school can get, raising awareness of the school and attracting applicants.  I'm not saying the athletic department should never assist in building up worthwhile programs that IU has a strong reputation in, although I'm still a believer that a strong program should be at least mostly self-sustaining.  After all, how do many high-reputation academic schools balance their budgets without athletic TV revenue?  I doubt Harvard and Yale have much TV sports revenue.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was my speculation, but it reads like an advocacy piece.  The Star should be better than that.  It doesn't have to be the other extreme when Bill Benner despised everything IU did.  But the paper should hold the university accountable and not just be the mouthpiece for the eccentric leadership in the athletics department.

When Fred isn't being weird by taking off names on football jerseys (where we need to tgoose fan interest, not make it harder for fans), declining a home NIT basketball game, cutting Emmitt Holt for holding an unopened container, etc., Fred is laying out how his athletic department is great.  The article is a one-sided mess, much like Fred's typical bizzaro advocacy.

As for McRobbie, he is on ever-changing quest to find problems for his muddled solutions.  His re-do's of administrative structures, creating upheavals, are legendary.  He can't walk and chew gum at the same time as a President.  While he is focused on some second tier vanity capital expense, he's literally got outdated dorms with mold all over the place.  He's just lost on how to triage issues.  

People may not want to hear it, but Mitch Daniels is an exceptionally bright man who understands sophisticated nuance.  McRobbie is like Thog the caveman by comparison.

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

it reads like an advocacy piece.

Yes, reads like it was written by a PR firm. Should say (advertisement) at the bottom. Usually when an organization puts out an article like this through a friendly journalist, it means somebody struck a nerve. They must be nervous about the Trustee election.

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, reads like it was written by a PR firm. Should say (advertisement) at the bottom. Usually when an organization puts out an article like this through a friendly journalist, it means somebody struck a nerve. They must be nervous about the Trustee election.

I hope they have reason to be.  I did my part...

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Very good point. Puff pieces like this in the middle of June from the beat writer for Indy Star just don't appear out of thin air. Someone realized this guy from Chicago actually has a chance to win. 

2 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Win and this crap isn't nearly as big of a deal. But winning seems to be too hard for this University. On the court, on the field, hiring coaches, etc.

Well. Here is where I will beg to differ with you.  Bill Mallory was a very great hire.  Should have never been fired. Same can be said of Coach Knight.  Terry Hoeppener was also a great hire. Too bad he died.  For that matter, Kelvin Sampson could and still can coach.  Tom Crean took the job, when others refused. Many would have packed it in looking at what was on the shelf when he took over. Yet he made something out of nothing... managing it to make it to the sweet 16, eventually.  Truly think the job wore him out.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Which begs the question...why on earth would he advocate for money to be pilfered from his department to the point that his department feels a need to raise $12 million from athletic donors?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just fight for the TV revenue to stay in the athletic department?  I'd rather see a Hoosier Lodge than some worthless global studies Taj Majal.  Nationally strong athletic profiles are some of the best advertisement a school can get, raising awareness of the school and attracting applicants.  I'm not saying the athletic department should never assist in building up worthwhile programs that IU has a strong reputation in, although I'm still a believer that a strong program should be at least mostly self-sustaining.  After all, how do many high-reputation academic schools balance their budgets without athletic TV revenue?  I doubt Harvard and Yale have much TV sports revenue.

Fred does what McRobbie wants.  Fred knows how to build buildings not manage an athletic dept.  This aligns with the rumblings that the athletic dept is an interesting place to work where the lack of understanding for how an athletics department should be run shows.

On 6/20/2019 at 6:03 PM, milehiiu said:

Well. Here is where I will beg to differ with you.  Bill Mallory was a very great hire.  Should have never been fired. Same can be said of Coach Knight.  Terry Hoeppener was also a great hire. Too bad he died.  For that matter, Kelvin Sampson could and still can coach.  Tom Crean took the job, when others refused. Many would have packed it in looking at what was on the shelf when he took over. Yet he made something out of nothing... managing it to make it to the sweet 16, eventually.  Truly think the job wore him out.

Knight was hired during the Nixon administration. Mallory was hired when the Bears were doing the Superbowl Shuffle.

4 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

And he's still there, isn't he?

Knight and Mallory have been gone for decades and haven't been replaced competently.

Current status isn't in the scope of debate. You said that IU never gets hires right. Mile brought up several examples that contradicted that. You brought up how long ago those hires were in attempt to deflect Mile's examples and further reinforce your negativity campaign. I countered with Boeheim as an example that shows that just because a hire was made a long time ago doesn't mean it wasn't good. The fact he is still there reinforces the decision, but wasn't the point being debated.

And I'd argue that Mallory was replaced. Hoeppner. I already know your counter: he has a losing record, winning is all that counts, insert cliche about winning here. All of that reinforces my point. Find another coach with only two losing seasons that is still an active presence within his or her former program. Hep's spirit and energy are still in IU football. Hell, Jane is still actively involved with the university. Hoeppner did something that didn't happen since the Mallory era: he got an entire fanbase to unconditionally believe.

And then you'll probably bring up Lynch as an example of bad hiring in an attempt to spin the conversation back negatively, and you'd be right. But that does not diminish the impact Hoeppner had.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Current status isn't in the scope of debate. You said that IU never gets hires right. Mile brought up several examples that contradicted that. You brought up how long ago those hires were in attempt to deflect Mile's examples and further reinforce your negativity campaign. I countered with Boeheim as an example that shows that just because a hire was made a long time ago doesn't mean it wasn't good. The fact he is still there reinforces the decision, but wasn't the point being debated.

And I'd argue that Mallory was replaced. Hoeppner. I already know your counter: he has a losing record, winning is all that counts, insert cliche about winning here. All of that reinforces my point. Find another coach with only two losing seasons that is still an active presence within his or her former program. Hep's spirit and energy are still in IU football. Hell, Jane is still actively involved with the university. Hoeppner did something that didn't happen since the Mallory era: he got an entire fanbase to unconditionally believe.

And then you'll probably bring up Lynch as an example of bad hiring in an attempt to spin the conversation back negatively, and you'd be right. But that does not diminish the impact Hoeppner had.

All of this just to point out that twice in history, the University made good hires? Oh and Hep, God rest his soul.

The point is that Indiana is not very good at hiring coaches. You know this. If honest, you would admit it. Stop reaching 

Maybe one day we will get a president and AD like Kentucky's. Right now we have Abbott and Costello 

3 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

All of this just to point out that twice in history, the University made good hires? Oh and Hep, God rest his soul.

The point is that Indiana is not very good at hiring coaches. You know this. If honest, you would admit it. Stop reaching 

Maybe one day we will get a president and AD like Kentucky's. Right now we have Abbott and Costello 

Off the top of my head, I think IU has done very well in hiring soccer and baseball coaches.  I think they got an excellent women's basketball coach as well.  I'd argue that men's football and basketball are in the too early to tell category, although I see signs that both coaches will eventually prove to be very good hires.  I certainly don't think you can say at this point that they are bad hires.  Just not enough evidence.

I'll give you the post-Knight past, but I'm pretty bullish on the present coaching hires for the most part.

As an aside, you seem unhappy.  I'd suggest a few opioides as a mood enhancer.

As IU fans. We tend to lose sight in terms of what is happening and has happening in other sports aside from FB and BB.  Just take a look at what has gone on in baseball. So many great hires that they have been stolen away from higher profile programs. And yet, our most recent baseball hire, won the regular season conference title this year.I am here to tell you, that has not always been the case.  Our women's basketball team is lead by a leader. And our most recent IU soccer HC, has won an National Championship. 

Great hires. Up and down the board. Especially, when currently the University of Illinois can only shout about their golf coach.

Doc councilman was an all-time great with the swimming program, which is also experiencing a renaissance.

Sam Bell was a great track coach back in the day. That program has usually been competitive, not only in conference, but on a national level.

To say that IU has only made two good coaching hires in history is inane.

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are you serious.  What a trash system.  I've never heard of people talking about voting until this time.   Rigged.  I want to see the numbers. 

Well, I saw a tweet from her thanking everyone for voting her in and congratulating the guy for being a good opponent. I posted what I did here, then went back to copy her tweet and it was taken down. So now I am not sure what is going on 

Archived