Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know...kid said he wants to get to the NBA. Some might say we don’t need such selfishness. Crazy that even in South Africa these kids are brain washed and only think of the nba...what’s this world coming too when playing college basketball for IU is just a stepping stone to ones dreams.

i will say this. He talked about wanting to learn to play hard defense and distribute the ball and make shooters happy he was on their team...so maybe he isn’t so selfish after all.

That move starting at about 4:27 is just sick.  He's got some really nice moves.

...but yeah...if he really shot 18% for the season, not sure that's an answer for IU unless there's interest in changing the name from Hoosiers to Bricklayers.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That move starting at about 4:27 is just sick.  He's got some really nice moves.

...but yeah...if he really shot 18% for the season, not sure that's an answer for IU unless there's interest in changing the name from Hoosiers to Bricklayers.

Yeah not much out their on him. Maybe worth the risk if he is only playing on staying a year or two. 

43 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

If he is only shooting at 18%, he'd be here more than a year or two.

Which could be very unfortunate for us if his shooting never showed any significant improvement.   It'd be 5 on 4 most of the time he was on the court.

This kid could be that "diamond in the rough" that we need. I saw all I needed to see out of him in just 2.5 mins. He has size/strength, great court awareness and nasty passing skills (as in, Nash "threading the needle" passes). What really caught my eye is his shooting ability. His mechanics are IMO what coaches dream about in a player and his consistent wrist stap, follow through tells it all. This kid reminds me of those type of players from Iowa and Wisconsin that consistently torch us from behind the arch. His long body is hard to defend from deep....He would sure look good in cream and crimson.

24 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Um, why? Sorry, I just don't see how a 20 year old with (possibly) bad knees who shot 18% from the field last season addresses any needs that we have. 

Are you kidding me? Who doesn’t want a an 18% FG shooter. ;)

hey we have a ship so if coach wants to take a gamble I’m game. This might be the type to have as a 12th or 13th ride. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's nothing wrong for a young man to dream big even if he comes up short later. What we need to remember is almost every kid looks fantastic in his highlight reel. They can't miss a shot and can go coast to coast for thunderous dunks. But more likely than not, those heroics don't translate to D-1 college games. If this kid shoots 18% from deep. thanks but no thanks. We already have bad to mediocre shooters in our roster. 

If he is truly a game changer, we would have been hearing something about him long before now.  This smells like an 'I'm going to do this pseudo-pro thing, whoops it's not working out, I need to release some hype about myself to get colleges interested" kind of deal.

Pass.  And, pass again the next day, and the day after.  

Archived