Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

Per Rabjohns, he led the league in 3 point shooting in '17-'18.  Had an undiagnosed sports hernia last year and suffered a wrist injury that hampered his shooting ability.  Only played 9 games.

Per Snow, he is a long shot to ever play college basketball.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Just going off foreign familiarities...how would he compare to Dante Exum from a few years back?

As I remember Exum had a really good showing in an international tournament against same age group players from other countries including the U.S. which would made it easier to project him.  I don't think Van Zyl has any similar performance on his resume.  He may be really good or become so, but hardly very clear at this point.

1 hour ago, HoosierCPA said:

Per Rabjohns, he led the league in 3 point shooting in '17-'18.  Had an undiagnosed sports hernia last year and suffered a wrist injury that hampered his shooting ability.  Only played 9 games.

Is that because of his injuries or that he would go that route to try to get to the NBA? If it's just the route to the NBA perhaps he saw Brazdeikis at Michigan and thought perhaps I could turn a good year or two in college into an NBA career.

FYI FIBA 3pt line is further than the college 3. It's about a foot and half further out....so if he does have a good 3pt stroke that would be a big benefit.

53 minutes ago, slojoe said:

As I remember Exum had a really good showing in an international tournament against same age group players from other countries including the U.S. which would made it easier to project him.  I don't think Van Zyl has any similar performance on his resume.  He may be really good or become so, but hardly very clear at this point.

And you would be correct.

2 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Just going off foreign familiarities...how would he compare to Dante Exum from a few years back?

Somewhere between Marco Rubio and Ricky Rubio....does that help?

Honestly with the limited amount of video and info this kid is a complete mystery....and likely even a longer shot that he would even want to go the college route instead of just playing professional ball overseas and getting paid.

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m assuming DG will primarily be playing shooting guard this season. We need the scoring and he was good as a 2 guard late in the season. RP and DG may play 30+ minutes together 

Understood, but the 5 minutes Rob isn't on the floor, Devonte runs the point.  The rest if the time, Devonte is the SG.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Understood, but the 5 minutes Rob isn't on the floor, Devonte runs the point.  The rest if the time, Devonte is the SG.

Rob avg 27 mpg last year...he isn’t avg 35..not even Romeo played that much. Green will have to split half the game at the point and sg.

18 hours ago, HoosierCPA said:

He sounds like all he cares about his getting to the NBA so then it is probably for the best. 

18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If thriller was any more of a beast, he'd have needed chains and a team of handlers to keep him on the bench. 

But he shot 40% percent from three in high school!  Crean found him  under a rock in a Texas town where he probably was playing against guys 8-10 inches shorter than him every night. 

42 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Does anyone know why it became public that we're looking at this kid? Seems to me, if I were looking at a kid no one else was following, I would keep it a secret as long as possible. Are things fairly far along?

Rumors were last Friday people spotted all the golf carts and coaches out and this was the kid getting the visit...so seems it wasn’t a secret to any good reporters. Fact is this is the first we heard of this 2019 kid probably means they have had this on the back burner for awhile.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:47 PM, FKIM01 said:

That move starting at about 4:27 is just sick.  He's got some really nice moves.

...but yeah...if he really shot 18% for the season, not sure that's an answer for IU unless there's interest in changing the name from Hoosiers to Bricklayers.

C'mon, 18% would've put him, what, 3rd on last year's team?  :coffee:

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Rumors were last Friday people spotted all the golf carts and coaches out and this was the kid getting the visit...so seems it wasn’t a secret to any good reporters. Fact is this is the first we heard of this 2019 kid probably means they have had this on the back burner for awhile.

You're saying he was already on campus for a visit?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Considering they moved back the line this year none of our guys should be shooting threes at all this year so it should be a mute point.

Most kids shoot from 2 feet behind the line anyway. Shooting only dropped 2% the last time they moved it. With the floor being more spread out Rob should lead us in scoring driving to the basket.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

And this point let's just sign him and see if he is the next Steve Nash.  We have the grants and he is likely a one or two year guy max anyway. If he doesn't play much I'm pretty sure he will leave after next season given his past. Would probably go back to europe so let's roll the dice.

11 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

And this point let's just sign him and see if he is the next Steve Nash.  We have the grants and he is likely a one or two year guy max anyway. If he doesn't play much I'm pretty sure he will leave after next season given his past. Would probably go back to europe so let's roll the dice.

And have someone unhappy about their role (either him or whomever minutes he takes)?  I'll pass.  At this point, unless a proven, team oriented Grad Transfer falls into your lap (Max Bielfeldt), you go with what you got. He's an unknown quantity whose resume says he won't be happy if he's not playing.   I would much rather Damezi and/or Armaan fill those minutes.

Archie even entertaining the thought of signing this guy goes against the grain of the 'Get old, stay old' philosophy.  There is zero chance you get 3-4 years out of this guy.  He either proves what he wants to prove and goes pro, or he fails to prove it and leaves to find somewhere he can try to rehabilitate his reputation.  

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Archie even entertaining the thought of signing this guy goes against the grain of the 'Get old, stay old' philosophy.  There is zero chance you get 3-4 years out of this guy.  He either proves what he wants to prove and goes pro, or he fails to prove it and leaves to find somewhere he can try to rehabilitate his reputation.  

I'm thinking CAM is a little bit concerned should we have injuries again.   Heaven help us if Rob, Devonte or Al go down for any length of time.   How many times did Archie say we didn't have enough guys to practice against last year?   If we have to add football or baseball players again we are in for a long season.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm thinking CAM is a little bit concerned should we have injuries again.   Heaven help us if Rob, Devonte or Al go down for any length of time.   How many times did Archie say we didn't have enough guys to practice against last year?   If we have to add football or baseball players again we are in for a long season.

Go Hoosiers!!!

If he was a proven grad transfer, I would be all over it.  But, from where I am sitting, it appears this guy would have a different agenda than the rest of the team.  The risk of conflicting agendas can derail a season as much as, or even more so, than injuries.  The only thing that could change my mind is if Archie has reason to believe Jerome won't be available.  

Archived