Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Michigan State handled it pretty well last year.

Umm... didn't they lose twice to an NIT team when they weren't at full strength?

Sure MSU was great when they were all healthy.   Just shows how important a strong bench can be. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

18 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Umm... didn't they lose twice to an NIT team when they weren't at full strength?

Sure MSU was great when they were all healthy.   Just shows how important a strong bench can be. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

🤦🏻‍♂️ Not even worth a response.

Michigan State has an entrenched program with a steady stream of veterans continuing a well established culture.  We have none of that and it’s what I want to see fixed by having the Galloway’s and Leal’s join Phinisee.  Once it takes root, you can withstand some losses.  That’s my hope more than anything.  Above a bunch of five stars, etc.  We need a program and an identity.  

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

It also doesn’t hurt to have an all-American point guard to lead you. That team was just much deeper and veteran team.  We lost Rob and all hades broke loose. Funny thing was once we started to get some guys back (Rob/Davis) we beat the best team in our conference...who just do happen to have lost guys of their own. Michigan State was a championship quality team had Langford and Ward stayed healthy. We were a 6 seed perhaps if we stayed healthy...we just didn’t have the horses.

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

🤦🏻‍♂️ Not even worth a response.

So why this comeback?  LOL  Did we not beat them twice when they had players out?  Rarely can teams can lose starters and maintain the same level of play.  They were fortunate to be healthy when it mattered.  Wouldn't you agree? 

Getting back on topic... I hope this kid is worth a scholly.  A short roster is a real gamble should the injury bug strike again.  Carry on.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I take a peek at Twitter just to see if there are updates regarding players (not to stalk or tweet at or follow them) but took notice he's retweeted any and all articles about him and IU. So I would say we're the leaders if he goes this route. 

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I take a peek at Twitter just to see if there are updates regarding players (not to stalk or tweet at or follow them) but took notice he's retweeted any and all articles about him and IU. So I would say we're the leaders if he goes this route. 

Is that good or bad?  

28 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So why this comeback?  LOL  Did we not beat them twice when they had players out?  Rarely can teams can lose starters and maintain the same level of play.  They were fortunate to be healthy when it mattered.  Wouldn't you agree? 

Getting back on topic... I hope this kid is worth a scholly.  A short roster is a real gamble should the injury bug strike again.  Carry on.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Except that’s not at all what happened.  They won the conference regular season title, conference tournament, and went to the Final Four with their first/second-best player Joshua Langford missing the entire season.  They went to the Final Four with junior guard/8th man Kyle Ahrens also missing the entire tournament.  And they went 4-1 down the stretch and clinched the regular season title while their third-best player Nick Ward sat out for a month after getting hand surgery (and his first game back was the first game of the conference tournament).  The only players that they didn’t have available against IU were Langford, who missed the entire season, and Ward in the second game we played at Assembly Hall.

I know our fanbase loves to blow IU’s injuries out of proportion, but three of MSU’s eight best players missed critical stretches of time, and they didn’t miss a beat.

Has it only been a year when Evan Fitzner joined the program in late spring to shore up the team's most glaring weakness.  

It's going to take a lot to convince me that any extra backcourt minutes should not be give to Damezi and Armaan.  

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Except that’s not at all what happened.  They won the conference regular season title, conference tournament, and went to the Final Four with their first/second-best player Joshua Langford missing the entire season.  They went to the Final Four with junior guard/8th man Kyle Ahrens also missing the entire tournament.  And they went 4-1 while their third-best player Nick Ward sat out for a month after getting hand surgery (and his first game back was the first game of the conference tournament).  The only players that they didn’t have available against IU were Langford, who missed the entire season, and Ward in the second game we played at Assembly Hall.

I know our fanbase loves to blow IU’s injuries out of proportion, but three of MSU’s eight best players missed significant stretches of time, and they didn’t miss a beat.

And he also has had how many years to build up his program and recruit so they can still be good when injury’s happen? Archie has had 1 recruiting class which were Freshmen last year rest are Crean recruits. Also we had so many guys out we couldn’t even scrimmage. And half our players playing were playing less than 100 percent, Romeo, Zach, Al, Deron, Rob. 

Literally the walking wounded. It was ridiculous last year! I’ve never in my life seen anything like it. 

But yes Michigan state handled the injury’s well and I would expect that out of a hall fame coach in like his 20th season with program. I’d expect Archie teams to handle injuries better when he has his roster built up in a few years. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Has it only been a year when Evan Fitzner joined the program in late spring to shore up the team's most glaring weakness.  

It's going to take a lot to convince me that any extra backcourt minutes should not be give to Damezi and Armaan.  

You  are assuming they both ready to play at a big ten level. I say bring this kid  in and lets see what he has. 

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Does anyone know of any other school involved here?  I remember reading something about multiple high majors showing interest, but I never saw any specific ones listed. 

Incarnate Word is a school I keep hearing.  :coffee:

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Does anyone know of any other school involved here?  I remember reading something about multiple high majors showing interest, but I never saw any specific ones listed. 

In one of those links it said Marshall offered when he was at Huntington Prep.

Seems to be a lot of the Crean "I got the scholly, I need to use it" philosophy in this thread.  It just seems to run so counter to what we claim we want as a program.

• There are a lot of red flags with this kid, such as moving around, and seemingly a me first (not team first) approach,
  • The classes have a nice balance to them for the first time in a long time.  Granted, Jerome's missing last season contributed to that, but the result is till the same.
  • Does not seem to fit the stated mission of getting old and staying old.
  • If he does not achieve his goal of launching a professional career, and on the off chance he decides to stay at IU as a marginal contributor, he is taking a scholly that needs to be left available for 2021.  Class balance be damned.  We want to sign 4-5 Indiana kids from the 2021 class.  It would be bad to wake up and only have 3 schollies available.  I guess Archie could start Creaning kids, but that's a different discussion,
  • All that said, my biggest point of caution is that, if he were truly a difference maker at the Power 5 level, he would not still be available.  I'm not sure how anyone can argue against that point.  

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Seems to be a lot of the Crean "I got the scholly, I need to use it" philosophy in this thread.  It just seems to run so counter to what we claim we want as a program.

• There are a lot of red flags with this kid, such as moving around, and seemingly a me first (not team first) approach,
  • The classes have a nice balance to them for the first time in a long time.  Granted, Jerome's missing last season contributed to that, but the result is till the same.
  • Does not seem to fit the stated mission of getting old and staying old.
  • If he does not achieve his goal of launching a professional career, and on the off chance he decides to stay at IU as a marginal contributor, he is taking a scholly that needs to be left available for 2021.  Class balance be damned.  We want to sign 4-5 Indiana kids from the 2021 class.  It would be bad to wake up and only have 3 schollies available.  I guess Archie could start Creaning kids, but that's a different discussion,
  • All that said, my biggest point of caution is that, if he were truly a difference maker at the Power 5 level, he would not still be available.  I'm not sure how anyone can argue against that point.  

Did anyone know Brazdeikis a year ago?  

He is old already.  

Possible red flags, due diligence required.  

No problem if he's good enough to be 2 and done scholarship wise.  If he does stay 3 or 4, so long as he's not actually a Priller, no big deal.  See due diligence.   

45 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Montana State

Archived