Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Based on what?  What does he give us that someone already on the team does not?  Weigh that against the probability that his number one priority is not IU.

Gives us depth with an 11 player roster in case three or four guys get injured again. He has some sick moves for a point guard. 

I'm confused.  If this kid has oad, he starts from day one at the 1, 2 or 3.  That's a fact.  If anyone has goals of competing at the top of conference, this team didn't get the massive talent upgrade it needed.  

Basically we have no clue how to evaluate this kid.  On one hand we call him the truth like Hanner Perea' s hype video.  The other hand says he's a back up role player on the 10th best big ten team.  

47 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

There hasn’t been a lot of belief he is that good from what some have said who have seen him or spoken with those who have seen/ coached him along the way. 

Anyone that says IU “needs” him is grasping at nothing, IMO. Strictly my own opinion. 

I share that opinion...don't really see him as a need at IU.

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm confused.  If this kid has oad, he starts from day one at the 1, 2 or 3.  That's a fact.  If anyone has goals of competing at the top of conference, this team didn't get the massive talent upgrade it needed.  

Basically we have no clue how to evaluate this kid.  On one hand we call him the truth like Hanner Perea' s hype video.  The other hand says he's a back up role player on the 10th best big ten team.  

What's so confusing @OGIUAndy?  Have you been reading this thread?  

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

"...The other hand says he's a back up role player on the 10th best big ten team".  I assume you're talking about IU being the 10 best big ten team? That's confusing to me. 

We finished 9th last year. I hope we are better but it’s hard to say the roster has upgraded. Just have to hope this team comes together...but for outside people to say 10th...not surprising.

8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Final note on this: 

- If he is a commodity, why is no one recruiting him heavily? 

- What belief is there from his past coaches he is good enough for high-major basketball?

- Turning “Pro” in France and make $70,000-$80,000 isn’t that impressive. 

I am NOT knocking the kid but his name has come up so few times in private circles. There hasn’t been a lot of belief he is that good from what some have said who have seen him or spoken with those who have seen/ coached him along the way. 

Anyone that says IU “needs” him is grasping at nothing, IMO. Strictly my own opinion. 

No I get it. I think we all just see a need at the point...and would love to have a kid with some international experience and hopefully talented come in to help...the fact remains he likely is only coming to be OAD to get to NBA...in order to do that he would have to beat out Rob (not likely) and to come to back up which we need wouldn’t fit his goals so this is indeed a reach. He has had other schools interested like UCLA but I think those others have roster issues with new coaches and players leaving etc. the more I’ve looked at his words and our fit...I agree it just doesn’t mesh.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

a kid with some international experience and hopefully talented come in to help...the fact remains he likely is only coming to be OAD to get to NBA...

So if this kid is good enough to be oad to the actual NBA and not to the north Serbian snow cats, then you bring him in asap. Bit if what coachss is saying, he isn't good enough, all this oad talk is about him lookimg for a euro contract or something like Hulls and Sheeheys team.  I'm going towards what coachss says.  He's just not that amazing.   

On 6/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, CoachSS said:

Final note on this: 

- If he is a commodity, why is no one recruiting him heavily? 

- What belief is there from his past coaches he is good enough for high-major basketball?

- Turning “Pro” in France and make $70,000-$80,000 isn’t that impressive. 

I am NOT knocking the kid but his name has come up so few times in private circles. There hasn’t been a lot of belief he is that good from what some have said who have seen him or spoken with those who have seen/ coached him along the way. 

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Now... Now I'm interested. 

If, indeed he has an offer. 

What has changed?

Archived