Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Gonna be a lot of backtracking in this thread if IU ends up signing him, lol.

FWIW, my only “inside source” said he didn’t think the kid was good enough/was going to come to IU either about a month ago.

This is a strange one. I have seen it stated here several times that he may not be good enough for IU. But he's also deciding between the college route and going straight to the NBA? 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is a strange one. I have seen it stated here several times that he may not be good enough for IU. But he's also deciding between the college route and going straight to the NBA? 

Thank you. I thought I was the only one totally confused. Lol

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

If that's a knock at me, so be it. 

I'm not back-tracking anything. 

There haven't been people speaking up about his game and the schools recruiting him, to this point, haven't been very good. 

Not a knock at you... Basically everyone that’s posted in the last 5 pages of this thread has been pretty much bashing the kid.  And like I said, I heard pretty much the same things you were saying from someone with connections to the program about a month ago.

Schools I've seen with interest:

Vandy, St. Johns, Cincinnati, UCLA and us.  

I've not seen  mention of any offers besides ours.   I know some wonder why no others have jumped on the kid.  Could it be most schools have no scholarships available?  He did become available really late in the game.

I'm not sure what to think if we did offer.  Is he way better than we think?  Does our preseason rank of 10th make Archie roll the dice on him?  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archie said he is only adding difference makers/people who will have an impact. This guy is a total mystery to us fans. Some of the other names being mentioned with him make me feel a little bit better than I did about Jeremiah April and Priller. That being said, I really believe Archie has assembled a team of character guys who are at Indiana to play FOR Indiana (a few exceptions obviously linger). I do not want Van Zyl to come in and be a negative in the locker room if he isn't getting playing time.

5 minutes ago, rbkl said:

Definitely a consideration here. If Indiana offered and is actively, I do believe it could be a signal that they have done their due diligence (or have seen promising signs so far). 

Indiana Offers 6-5 PG Austin Van Zyl

Thank you, rbkl.  A short clip from your link:

"Indiana (needs) additional scoring options. Shooters, drivers, post-players: The Hoosiers need anyone and everyone that can score. If Austin Van Zyl can showcase his ability to shoot and drive to the Indiana staff, this recruitment could get very interesting. As it stands, Van Zyl shot just 26.4% from behind the arc in his 26 games with AS Monaco over the last two years.

The packline defense would benefit from a guard of his size. He has the ability to stay in passing lanes and protect a wide radius.

In a quicker paced European league, Austin Van Zyl would have added to his arsenal of defensive techniques and capabilities."

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Can you elaborate?

I would assume with what other programs are losing in terms of players leaving for the NBA, transferring or a lack of incoming recruits?  Maybe some news is about to be released with some recruiting violations with other BIG programs? Who knows

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Gonna be a lot of backtracking in this thread if IU ends up signing him, lol.

FWIW, my only “inside source” said he didn’t think the kid was good enough/was going to come to IU either about a month ago.

No backtracking from me.  I stand by my position that this kid has an agenda that does not mesh with a team-first, winning culture.

If he comes to IU and makes me eat crow, so be it.  I'll be the first in line for my meal.  But, more than likely, those that want to throw darts in the dark in hopes we get lucky will regret this one as well.

37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Can you elaborate?

You can get a sense for all of the comings and going in the B1G next year here.  I didn't want to pick IU as high as fifth, but when you look at the talent lost and the lack of good recruits coming in, well...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-basketball-2019-20-key-roster-changes-and-first-prediction/

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You can get a sense for all of the comings and going in the B1G next year here.  I didn't want to pick IU as high as fifth, but when you look at the talent lost and the lack of good recruits coming in, well...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-basketball-2019-20-key-roster-changes-and-first-prediction/

Until proven otherwise, I’m taking MSU, OSU, Maryland, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Iowa over us.  Illinois and Minnesota are tossups, and we’ll see what Hoiberg and Howard can do.  I see us in the 6-8 range... 10th would be a pretty big disaster.

53 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

My understanding is that he doesn’t have an offer from Indiana University to play basketball based on a text I got and a thread I read on another site. 

So why would the kid make this up and post this on his twitter account? That doesn’t make much sense. Someone is lying. The kid or your source or your source just doesn’t know.

6A698FD4-D301-4B37-84D6-4D2D77FCE725.jpeg

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

So why would the kid make this up and post this on his twitter account? That doesn’t make much sense. Someone is lying. The kid or your source or your source just doesn’t know.

6A698FD4-D301-4B37-84D6-4D2D77FCE725.jpeg

Self-promotion. Look at how much attention he has gotten out of it. Probably picked up a couple hundred twitter and instagram followers.

8 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

Self-promotion. Look at how much attention he has gotten out of it. Probably picked up a couple hundred twitter and instagram followers.

I doubt that is the case. That’s how you turn people and coaches off from having interest in you moving forward.

Archived