Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What is more concerning....we retweeted it....or we deleted it???

I don't find either to be concerning. Why would it be concerning? Someone in social media is probably supposed to monitor Twitter for these things and then retweet them. They probably saw the tweet and would have no reason to think it's a kid lying about an offer. Bball staff probably saw/heard about it and then told whoever runs the twitter account to delete it. 

Boom, done. Non issue. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Hoosier Sports Nation. Tons of levity. Some get it. Others don't. But we learn more about our members, because they are willing to share.  They are much more than a username.

Who knew Scott was a great shooter in his prime?  These are things that need to be shared with others, rather than lovingly locked in one's memory bank.

Thank you Scott for sharing.

17 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

I recall reading an article a few years ago about a high school football player that stated he had a scholarship offer to a very big program, and even had a "signing day" if I'm not mistaken. Come to find out, that school either never offered, or never even heard of the kid. So, crazier things have happened!

there was a football recruiting story maybe even last year about a kid who had been rated as a 4 star, and his recruiting page showed offers from some pretty big SEC programs. Turns out the kid was fictional. The schools who had offered him had done so sight unseen, and relied on the star ranking as their rationale for offering him. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love Hoosier Sports Nation. Tons of levity. Some get it. Others don't. But we learn more about our members, because they are willing to share.  They are much more than a username.

Who knew Scott was a great shooter in his prime?  These are things that need to be shared with others, rather than lovingly locked in one's memory bank.

Thank you Scott for sharing.

Well that was 13 years  and 40 pounds and a knee surgery ago

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't find either to be concerning. Why would it be concerning? Someone in social media is probably supposed to monitor Twitter for these things and then retweet them. They probably saw the tweet and would have no reason to think it's a kid lying about an offer. Bball staff probably saw/heard about it and then told whoever runs the twitter account to delete it. 

Boom, done. Non issue. 

Yeah...I don't do twitter/facebook etc...but I would think an official account like Indiana Basketball etc would fact check something before retweeting it...that would get somebody fired in most companies if they basically confirmed something by retweeting it. That said maybe it was a grad student etc....still peculiar and not a good look.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I don't do twitter/facebook etc...but I would think an official account like Indiana Basketball etc would fact check something before retweeting it...that would get somebody fired in most companies if they basically confirmed something by retweeting it. That said maybe it was a grad student etc....still peculiar and not a good look.

You're not going to get fired for that. It's a simple mistake. Protocol is probably to retweet recruits when they announce their offers. If you look at the IU Basketball twitter feed they recently retweeted several others as well. It's pretty rare and odd for a kid to lie about an offer, and I doubt the person running the account marches down to Archie's office to confirm every time a recruit tweets that IU offered them. 

Simple mistake, seemingly corrected quickly. No big deal. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're not going to get fired for that. It's a simple mistake. Protocol is probably to retweet recruits when they announce their offers. If you look at the IU Basketball twitter feed they recently retweeted several others as well. It's pretty rare and odd for a kid to lie about an offer, and I doubt the person running the account marches down to Archie's office to confirm every time a recruit tweets that IU offered them. 

Simple mistake, seemingly corrected quickly. No big deal. 

Sounds about right about how things are run now....Knights day someone would have a plant, phone, chair thrown at them and fired. At my company you violate social media policy you would be fired and those heading it are constantly coming and going for various reasons. You put a public universities name by retweeting something you better know what your signing off on...ramifications can be significant depending on what the content is. This being a simple recruit maybe not a big deal however Archie could have promised some 2020 recruits he was done offering point guards in 2019 and it could cause some confusion with all his future recruits he would have to follow up personally with and clarify he didn’t offer. A kid on the fence could easily make a decision based on a coach seemingly being two faced about who and what he is out there offering. Hopefully it is a non-issue but I think of Knight and that press conference after the tourney loss to Missouri...and Archie going down to the IT department and yelling 😡 “who said I offered!!” Lol 🤣

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sounds about right about how things are run now....Knights day someone would have a plant, phone, chair thrown at them and fired. At my company you violate social media policy you would be fired and those heading it are constantly coming and going for various reasons. You put a public universities name by retweeting something you better know what your signing off on...ramifications can be significant depending on what the content is. This being a simple recruit maybe not a big deal however Archie could have promised some 2020 recruits he was done offering point guards in 2019 and it could cause some confusion with all his future recruits he would have to follow up personally with and clarify he didn’t offer. A kid on the fence could easily make a decision based on a coach seemingly being two faced about who and what he is out there offering. Hopefully it is a non-issue but I think of Knight and that press conference after the tourney loss to Missouri...and Archie going down to the IT department and yelling 😡 “who said I offered!!” Lol 🤣

I don't see this as a violation of social media policy. If we're going to be mad at someone, let's be mad at the guy who sent out a false tweet lying about being offered a scholarship. 

I've run social media & social media strategy for a $400M public company, and yes you always have to be careful what you post, especially when it's a public company or public institution, but to me this is almost a nothing situation. There was no way whoever runs the account could reasonably suspect that the kids tweet was a lie, and I doubt the coaching staff shares who they have/haven't offered regularly with the twitter person. It's more a call for the athletic department to put some process around the social team knowing who actually was offered, etc. 

I would have zero interest in running social media for a company who fires the social media person every time a mistake is made, though in this case I'm not even sure you can really say a mistake was made. I now work for a small start-up and just today I was posting to our Instagram account and went in after posting to flood the first comment with a bunch of relevant hashtags and I had to delete my own comment on our own post 3 times because I kept hitting the wrong button on my phone. It happens. 

Side note/vent, and I realize I chose my profession as a marketer, but there is nothing more frustrating than getting flooded with emails from the people in accounting or operations, or whatever other department, letting me know that there is a typo on a Facebook post or that we posted something to twitter and they don't 'get it'. I mean, I don't get to review the books in accounting for your mistakes, and if there is a typo I can promise you we saw it first and are fixing it. Oh, and you don't need to 'get' the tweet, we get it and twitter will get it. Sorry, that was some venting, and really venting to nobody 😀.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't see this as a violation of social media policy. If we're going to be mad at someone, let's be mad at the guy who sent out a false tweet lying about being offered a scholarship. 

I've run social media & social media strategy for a $400M public company, and yes you always have to be careful what you post, especially when it's a public company or public institution, but to me this is almost a nothing situation. There was no way whoever runs the account could reasonably suspect that the kids tweet was a lie, and I doubt the coaching staff shares who they have/haven't offered regularly with the twitter person. It's more a call for the athletic department to put some process around the social team knowing who actually was offered, etc. 

I would have zero interest in running social media for a company who fires the social media person every time a mistake is made, though in this case I'm not even sure you can really say a mistake was made. I now work for a small start-up and just today I was posting to our Instagram account and went in after posting to flood the first comment with a bunch of relevant hashtags and I had to delete my own comment on our own post 3 times because I kept hitting the wrong button on my phone. It happens. 

Side note/vent, and I realize I chose my profession as a marketer, but there is nothing more frustrating than getting flooded with emails from the people in accounting or operations, or whatever other department, letting me know that there is a typo on a Facebook post or that we posted something to twitter and they don't 'get it'. I mean, I don't get to review the books in accounting for your mistakes, and if there is a typo I can promise you we saw it first and are fixing it. Oh, and you don't need to 'get' the tweet, we get it and twitter will get it. Sorry, that was some venting, and really venting to nobody 😀.

Oh no worries! It's a stressful job and was also why I noted we see turnover all the time in our company etc. I wasn't so much saying somebody needed firing but simply noting how I would have anticipated Knight would have reacted to the issue and how tight the ship would be run based on the intimidation of him lol. Guess I see an offer from IU as being a very important announcement and that it would be fact checked before retweeted...after all there should be no rush to send it out. Again...not calling out the likely grad-student working in the department but just kind of noting how poorly the program has looked lately it doesn't help with this kind of stuff and how easily something like that could effect recruiting if it had to be explained to other recruits (like 2020 who were told no more guards would be added in the 2019 class one day and then they see an offer on the internet the next...they may feel almost betrayed). Glad you are able work a less stressful job...and I totally "feel" you on the typos...posting from my phone and the autocorrect/letters so close together is a nightmare for me lol.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh no worries! It's a stressful job and was also why I noted we see turnover all the time in our company etc. I wasn't so much saying somebody needed firing but simply noting how I would have anticipated Knight would have reacted to the issue and how tight the ship would be run based on the intimidation of him lol. Guess I see an offer from IU as being a very important announcement and that it would be fact checked before retweeted...after all there should be no rush to send it out. Again...not calling out the likely grad-student working in the department but just kind of noting how poorly the program has looked lately it doesn't help with this kind of stuff and how easily something like that could effect recruiting if it had to be explained to other recruits (like 2020 who were told no more guards would be added in the 2019 class one day and then they see an offer on the internet the next...they may feel almost betrayed). Glad you are able work a less stressful job...and I totally "feel" you on the typos...posting from my phone and the autocorrect/letters so close together is a nightmare for me lol.

I get your perspective and I enjoy these conversations, I just kind of went on a little tangent there 😀.

To me it's a positive that the RT seemed to be caught and fixed quickly, which to me is a good sign. To be honest, again as someone that has run social media strategy for companies, my biggest concern would be if it's really a grab student running their social media. That's what should be concerning, if even accurate. The perception that companies have interns run their social media couldn't be more false, and if a company does have interns running their social, then I'd question that companies leadership. 

Running a startup if definitely not a less stressful job 😓

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I literally scoured this post for some sort of typo.  :coffee:

Sigh.  All of you Marketers have to be perfect, don't you.  

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get your perspective and I enjoy these conversations, I just kind of went on a little tangent there 😀.

To me it's a positive that the RT seemed to be caught and fixed quickly, which to me is a good sign. To be honest, again as someone that has run social media strategy for companies, my biggest concern would be if it's really a grab student running their social media. That's what should be concerning, if even accurate. The perception that companies have interns run their social media couldn't be more false, and if a company does have interns running their social, then I'd question that companies leadership. 

Running a startup if definitely not a less stressful job 😓

Maybe I wrongly assumed a grad. student working the late shift monitoring in the media department lol.....maybe it's because us old people typically see all the new young hot shots coming into the social media department lol....where we think no "real" work is being done lol!!

Oh indeed...owning your own business or working with such limited resources and manpower I'm sure you are working yourself "silly"...just sometimes coming from the corporate world it's refreshing to not have all the red tape/hr and hierarchy to deal with. Thanks for the perspective!!

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe I wrongly assumed a grad. student working the late shift monitoring in the media department lol.....maybe it's because us old people typically see all the new young hot shots coming into the social media department lol....where we think no "real" work is being done lol!!

Oh indeed...owning your own business or working with such limited resources and manpower I'm sure you are working yourself "silly"...just sometimes coming from the corporate world it's refreshing to not have all the red tape/hr and hierarchy to deal with. Thanks for the perspective!!

No doubt, most days I'm sitting in my home office wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt. Hopefully this company works, because I'm not sure I could go back to wearing kahki's and button downs everyday. 

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And thank you for reminding me why I got out of marketing. When the heavy shift to social media started occurring, I started shifting out. Too fast and too volitile for my tastes. I fill the gap between sales and IT/backoffice. Having been on the sales side, I understand the needs and mentality, but I also speak geek.

I do enjoy throwing a mild jab to the ribs of my company's marketing department every now and then though. They're usually expecting me to either be a) a typical salesperson, or b) a developer. Throws them for a loop if I start talking about buyer personas or CPC.

Who was Jeanette Hartgraves ?  Want to talk about stress?  A loyal employee of Indiana University for over 36 years. As a 66 year old secretary to Bobby Knight, she suffered the onslaught of a potted plant thrown at her. Shattering into pieces as well as a glass frame.Covering her with broken glass.  Yet stayed  on for two more years. Only to fear for her life. After a curse filled onslaught, and being physically charged . Which had to be stopped by then AD Clarence Doninger.  

Her story is still on line.  Look it up. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Who was Jeanette Hartgraves ?  Want to talk about stress?  As a 66 year old secretary to Bobby Knight, she suffered the onslaught of a potted plant thrown at her. Shattering into pieces as well as a glass frame.Covering her with broken glass.  Yet stayed  on for two more years. Only to fear for her life. After a curse filled onslaught, and being physically charged . Which had to be stopped by then AD Clarence Doninger.  

No need: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2000-05-12-0005120315-story.html

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Who was Jeanette Hartgraves ?  Want to talk about stress?  A loyal employee of Indiana University for over 36 years. As a 66 year old secretary to Bobby Knight, she suffered the onslaught of a potted plant thrown at her. Shattering into pieces as well as a glass frame.Covering her with broken glass.  Yet stayed  on for two more years. Only to fear for her life. After a curse filled onslaught, and being physically charged . Which had to be stopped by then AD Clarence Doninger.  

Hence my plant, phone, chair reference...we loved what Bobby did on the court but no doubt he took it too far off the court at times.

Archived