Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hence my plant, phone, chair reference...we loved what Bobby did on the court but no doubt he took it too far off the court at times.

What ? What. What's wrong with plugging a Puerto Rico police officer in a trash can ?  I wonder if the PR arrest warrant is still good ? 

Jail Sentence for Knight Imposed, Warrant Issued - The New York Times

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Though I have not read the Trib on line in ages. Says I have reached my limit. Hence. Cannot read.  Would love for you to share with us.  Thanks for the link. And being a HSN member.

Try copying and pasting the link in an incognito or private browser tab, most of the time that will work. 

...Jeanette Hartgraves, 66, secretary to Indiana Athletic Director Clarence Doninger, told the Star that in February 1998, Knight's secretary called her and told her that Knight wanted to speak to someone who was in a meeting with Doninger. When she asked what Knight wished to speak to the person about, Hartgraves said Knight got on the phone and cursed at her, then slammed down the phone and raced downstairs into Hartgraves' work area. He continued to harangue her and advanced toward her threateningly, she said, before Doninger restrained him.

Doninger has said he was present during the incident but declined further comment, saying the matter would be left to university officials.

According to the Star, Hartgraves also witnessed a violent incident involving Knight and Ralph Floyd, Doninger's predecessor as IU athletic director. In the late 1980s, Knight reportedly stormed into Floyd's office and hurled a plant against a wall, shattering the pot and the glass of a framed picture. Hartgraves was hit by broken pieces of glass, she said, but not injured.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis television station WRTV reported Thursday that Knight attacked and knocked out Indiana sports information director Kit Klingelhoffer during a disagreement over a news release 10 years ago.

Trustees are also aware of a May 1994 "wrestling scuffle" Knight had with his sons, Tim and Pat, during a hunting trip in Argentina. According to the Star, Tim Knight dismissed the fight as "an argument . . . that lasted no more than 30 seconds." He came away from it with a broken nose and a dislocated shoulder but said he fell on a wet floor.

Tim Knight told the newspaper he gets along well with his father and handles some of his business affairs.

The Star quoted "a source close to the trustees" as saying the Reed incident, in and of itself, would not threaten Knight's job security. But in looking into the alleged attack, investigators were inundated with enough secondary and tertiary allegations to land Knight in trouble. On previous occasions, his former players and fellow coaches have circled the wagons to protect him, and IU officials have tended to look the other way. In the incidents involving Hartgraves, however, Knight may have crossed an athletic Maginot line.

In his 29 years with the Hoosiers, Knight has become a virtual deity in the state of Indiana. He has a 661-240 record there for a .734 winning percentage. His teams have won three national championships and eight Big Ten championships, and with 763 career victories he ranks fifth on the NCAA career list. In 1984 he coached the Michael Jordan-led U.S. team to the basketball gold medal at the Los Angeles Olympics.

His program has produced 14 first-round NBA draft picks, and Hoosier fans always point proudly to Knight's graduation rate: During his tenure, all but two of Knight's four-year players have completed degrees, and he has never been tainted by an NCAA investigation.

But coaching is about results, and the Hoosiers' disappointing NCAA tournament showing in recent years may have rendered vulnerable a man once considered untouchable. Knight's teams have exited in the first round in four of the last six tournaments and have not gone past the second round since 1994. That has led to an erosion of support for Knight among some of the faithful, grown weary of his bullying tactics.

The St. Petersburg Times reached Knight at his fishing vacation in the Bahamas. According to the paper, Knight, 59, indicated he planned to coach next season. but conceded "there is . . . stuff" that could influence a decision to resign. "When I decide, call me again and I'll tell you why."

To many longtime observers, the reasons are clear: Knight's support is dwindling. People may be losing patience for his ornery displays.

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

...Jeanette Hartgraves, 66, secretary to Indiana Athletic Director Clarence Doninger, told the Star that in February 1998, Knight's secretary called her and told her that Knight wanted to speak to someone who was in a meeting with Doninger. When she asked what Knight wished to speak to the person about, Hartgraves said Knight got on the phone and cursed at her, then slammed down the phone and raced downstairs into Hartgraves' work area. He continued to harangue her and advanced toward her threateningly, she said, before Doninger restrained him.

Doninger has said he was present during the incident but declined further comment, saying the matter would be left to university officials.

According to the Star, Hartgraves also witnessed a violent incident involving Knight and Ralph Floyd, Doninger's predecessor as IU athletic director. In the late 1980s, Knight reportedly stormed into Floyd's office and hurled a plant against a wall, shattering the pot and the glass of a framed picture. Hartgraves was hit by broken pieces of glass, she said, but not injured.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis television station WRTV reported Thursday that Knight attacked and knocked out Indiana sports information director Kit Klingelhoffer during a disagreement over a news release 10 years ago.

Trustees are also aware of a May 1994 "wrestling scuffle" Knight had with his sons, Tim and Pat, during a hunting trip in Argentina. According to the Star, Tim Knight dismissed the fight as "an argument . . . that lasted no more than 30 seconds." He came away from it with a broken nose and a dislocated shoulder but said he fell on a wet floor.

Tim Knight told the newspaper he gets along well with his father and handles some of his business affairs.

The Star quoted "a source close to the trustees" as saying the Reed incident, in and of itself, would not threaten Knight's job security. But in looking into the alleged attack, investigators were inundated with enough secondary and tertiary allegations to land Knight in trouble. On previous occasions, his former players and fellow coaches have circled the wagons to protect him, and IU officials have tended to look the other way. In the incidents involving Hartgraves, however, Knight may have crossed an athletic Maginot line.

In his 29 years with the Hoosiers, Knight has become a virtual deity in the state of Indiana. He has a 661-240 record there for a .734 winning percentage. His teams have won three national championships and eight Big Ten championships, and with 763 career victories he ranks fifth on the NCAA career list. In 1984 he coached the Michael Jordan-led U.S. team to the basketball gold medal at the Los Angeles Olympics.

His program has produced 14 first-round NBA draft picks, and Hoosier fans always point proudly to Knight's graduation rate: During his tenure, all but two of Knight's four-year players have completed degrees, and he has never been tainted by an NCAA investigation.

But coaching is about results, and the Hoosiers' disappointing NCAA tournament showing in recent years may have rendered vulnerable a man once considered untouchable. Knight's teams have exited in the first round in four of the last six tournaments and have not gone past the second round since 1994. That has led to an erosion of support for Knight among some of the faithful, grown weary of his bullying tactics.

The St. Petersburg Times reached Knight at his fishing vacation in the Bahamas. According to the paper, Knight, 59, indicated he planned to coach next season. but conceded "there is . . . stuff" that could influence a decision to resign. "When I decide, call me again and I'll tell you why."

To many longtime observers, the reasons are clear: Knight's support is dwindling. People may be losing patience for his ornery displays.

Thanks Andy. I appreciate your bringing this for me and perhaps others to read.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, milehiiu said:

I love Hoosier Sports Nation. Tons of levity. Some get it. Others don't. But we learn more about our members, because they are willing to share.  They are much more than a username.

Who knew Scott was a great shooter in his prime?  These are things that need to be shared with others, rather than lovingly locked in one's memory bank.

Thank you Scott for sharing.

i'm 59 and can still beat my 8 year old son AND my 6 year old daughter. one on one. not when we play two against one of course

6 minutes ago, coachv said:

i'm 59 and can still beat my 8 year old son AND my 6 year old daughter. one on one. not when we play two against one of course

Coach. All I can say. Based on personal experience.  Give it time. Even one on one.  It will change. 

Love your post.

And gotta   love that Hoosiers have for the great game of BB.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

offer...no offer...here is the mysterious Van Zyl

1.  He hit a 3-pointer 6 seconds into the game.  Take him, and tell him to shoot the first shot of every game for us.

2.  There were more players on the court than fans in the stands.  Wow.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

BTPOY lock.  He didn’t miss a single shot in that entire video.

Heck it was so good they even replayed some of the highlights twice in the same hype video lol. I just thought it was funny to see some videos of the kid that turned our offseason upside down lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived