Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If he is truly a game changer, we would have been hearing something about him long before now.  This smells like an 'I'm going to do this pseudo-pro thing, whoops it's not working out, I need to release some hype about myself to get colleges interested" kind of deal.

Pass.  And, pass again the next day, and the day after.  

The lack of information on him should be concerning or the fact he has never been mentioned with any big name colleges. That being said given how hard it has been to get anyone to come to IU recently maybe worth the risk. Does not sound like he would be staying for four years anyway. 

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

This kid could be that "diamond in the rough" that we need. I saw all I needed to see out of him in just 2.5 mins. He has size/strength, great court awareness and nasty passing skills (as in, Nash "threading the needle" passes). What really caught my eye is his shooting ability. His mechanics are IMO what coaches dream about in a player and his consistent wrist stap, follow through tells it all. This kid reminds me of those type of players from Iowa and Wisconsin that consistently torch us from behind the arch. His long body is hard to defend from deep....He would sure look good in cream and crimson.

The problem with these highlights tapes is they make most everyone look great. Heck I remember people thinking Peter Jurnkin was the real deal after watching his videos. 

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

The problem with these highlights tapes is they make most everyone look great. Heck I remember people thinking Peter Jurnkin was the real deal after watching his videos. 

Were those videos appropriate to link and watch at work?

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

100% right. He reminded me of Jajuan Johnson after watching haha

47 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

The lack of information on him should be concerning or the fact he has never been mentioned with any big name colleges. That being said given how hard it has been to get anyone to come to IU recently maybe worth the risk. Does not sound like he would be staying for four years anyway. 

It is...but the kid transfered to Huntington Prep (as a sophomore) before going overseas to play year round. Huntington Prep same school as our Thomas Bryant, Andrew Wiggins, Keldon Johnson, Carlos Arroyo and many other top players so he had to have some validity to his skills to be accepted there..but I do agree...I wish more was known about him. I also agree with another poster...there is virtually no way he shot 18% from the field because he made more shots in those highlights then was reported in those numbers. Anyways I’ll trust Archie...he hasn’t signed a bad recruit yet.

Archie spotted that Davide Moretti kid out of Italy, and he’s turned out to be pretty good... Maybe this kid can be a similar player.  The Euro stats can also be deceiving I think... Moretti shot 18.2% from three and 21.1% from the field in very limited minutes in a European league, but has shot 41.1% from three and 44.9% from the field in two years at Texas Tech.

At the very least, Archie’s interest in this kid so late in the offseason shows he’s not satisfied with the roster going into next year, no matter what smoke he was blowing at Huber Winery.

32 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Archie spotted that Davide Moretti kid out of Italy, and he’s turned out to be pretty good... Maybe this kid can be a similar player.  The Euro stats can also be deceiving I think... Moretti shot 18.2% from three and 21.1% from the field in very limited minutes in a European league, but has shot 41.1% from three and 44.9% from the field in two years at Texas Tech.

At the very least, Archie’s interest in this kid so late in the offseason shows he’s not satisfied with the roster going into next year, no matter what smoke he was blowing at Huber Winery.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Peter Jurkin references will outlast any other memory of the Crean era,

I think they  even had April throwing down a few dunks in his videos!!

44 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In fairness, he did say they would only add someone if it was an impactful decision, so that left the door cracked open 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In fairness, he did say they would only add someone if it was an impactful decision, so that left the door cracked open 

I'm still going to be skeptical.  If he was THAT impactful, we would have heard of him before now.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, good example of some typical coach double speak.  He obviously wasn’t going to say “We’re kind of desperate, so we’re going to bring in some bum off the street that will never be able to contribute.”  But it’s clear now that he’s not comfortable with the 11 we have going into next season, and is exploring any and every avenue to add some more talent/depth.  Will be interesting to see if they bring this kid in for a visit... I’m always intrigued by the foreign prospects, there have been a lot of success stories.

Anyone know the jist of the Rivals article about this recruitment?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm still going to be skeptical.  If he was THAT impactful, we would have heard of him before now.

Perhaps. But I think this team needs another PG. For scoring, RP and DG will need to be on the floor together a lot. They will need backups. Don’t know if AD and AF are enough depth there. “Impactful” may be in context of this team’s needs

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Perhaps. But I think this team needs another PG. For scoring, RP and DG will need to be on the floor together a lot. They will need backups. Don’t know if AD and AF are enough depth there. “Impactful” may be in context of this team’s needs

If I'm coaching, Rob is on the floor 35 minutes a game.  Devonte mans the point for the other 5.  We didn't go 3 deep at the point when Buckner, Zeke, Yogi, etc. were here.  Not sure why we would feel compelled to force that issue now.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I'm coaching, Rob is on the floor 35 minutes a game.  Devonte mans the point for the other 5.  We didn't go 3 deep at the point when Buckner, Zeke, Yogi, etc. were here.  Not sure why we would feel compelled to force that issue now.  

I’m assuming DG will primarily be playing shooting guard this season. We need the scoring and he was good as a 2 guard late in the season. RP and DG may play 30+ minutes together 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Are the Euro percentages in metric?😄

27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, good example of some typical coach double speak.  He obviously wasn’t going to say “We’re kind of desperate, so we’re going to bring in some bum off the street that will never be able to contribute.”  But it’s clear now that he’s not comfortable with the 11 we have going into next season, and is exploring any and every avenue to add some more talent/depth.  Will be interesting to see if they bring this kid in for a visit... I’m always intrigued by the foreign prospects, there have been a lot of success stories.

Anyone know the jist of the Rivals article about this recruitment?

There's no doublespeak. Did you listen to his interview? He clearly said he's not adding somebody just for the sake of using the scholarship (see Priller, Tim) and would rather hold the two scholarships for 2020, but if someone comes along that can impact the team next season he would certainly entertain bringing in an additional player for 2019. 

Seems pretty clear and straightforward. 

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have no idea if this kid is any good or not, none of us do, and I'm not even sure if a scholarship has even been offered, sounds like not yet, but for the sake of discussion, at 6'5" this kid can probably play on and off the ball, and by his size and style seems like he's a bit different than any other guard on the roster. If he's capable of playing at this level, can shoot from 3 (something IU needs) and can impact the team, then why not add another backcourt player?

The word "impact" is subjective. Impact doesn't have to mean being a 3mpg 5*, it could be being a 15mpg guy that shoots 40% from 3 and can handle the ball. IU could use a guy like that. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m assuming DG will primarily be playing shooting guard this season. We need the scoring and he was good as a 2 guard late in the season. RP and DG may play 30+ minutes together  

I'm assuming Durham and Green will split any time at the point if Rob is off the floor.  They're both more effective off the ball, but they can play the point if needed. 

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There's no doublespeak. Did you listen to his interview? He clearly said he's not adding somebody just for the sake of using the scholarship (see Priller, Tim) and would rather hold the two scholarships for 2020, but if someone comes along that can impact the team next season he would certainly entertain bringing in an additional player for 2019. 

Seems pretty clear and straightforward. 

Priller  was lights out from deep. Crean just did not know how to develop his inner beast!

Archived