Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

And, in regards to the possibility of injuries, there are a lot of things we can nitpick about Devonte, but no one can deny that he stepped up big time when Romeo went down at the end of last season.  Devonte is our alpha personality on the floor.  Not sure he would mesh well with a hired gun.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he was a proven grad transfer, I would be all over it.  But, from where I am sitting, it appears this guy would have a different agenda than the rest of the team.  The risk of conflicting agendas can derail a season as much as, or even more so, than injuries.  The only thing that could change my mind is if Archie has reason to believe Jerome won't be available.  

I can see that it could disrupt team chemistry.  On the other hand we had no vocal leaders on the team last year.   Maybe we could use a cocky(in your face) guy like a Sheehey on the court.  Not saying  Austin is that guy but maybe that's what Archie is searching for and sees in him

Go Hoosiers!!!

I am gonna be brutally honest here as to the way I look at this kid.  He has been a "failure" everywhere he has been sans his last year in school in Canada.  He seems to like to move around a lot(as 'fouls alluded to) and can't find a home.  JMHO.  I mean no ill will against him, I just don't want him.  But I ain't the HC of the Hoosiers either.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm thinking CAM is a little bit concerned should we have injuries again.   Heaven help us if Rob, Devonte or Al go down for any length of time.   How many times did Archie say we didn't have enough guys to practice against last year?   If we have to add football or baseball players again we are in for a long season.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Of course he is probbaly worried.  We  have eleven  roster players  and  four  or them were injured last year.  We sustain two or three major injuries again and we are in trouble. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

And have someone unhappy about their role (either him or whomever minutes he takes)?  I'll pass.  At this point, unless a proven, team oriented Grad Transfer falls into your lap (Max Bielfeldt), you go with what you got. He's an unknown quantity whose resume says he won't be happy if he's not playing.   I would much rather Damezi and/or Armaan fill those minutes.

How do you know either one will be ready to compete at the big ten level though? 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Archie even entertaining the thought of signing this guy goes against the grain of the 'Get old, stay old' philosophy.  There is zero chance you get 3-4 years out of this guy.  He either proves what he wants to prove and goes pro, or he fails to prove it and leaves to find somewhere he can try to rehabilitate his reputation.  

I thought the kid was 20? Isn’t that old already? I don’t think this kid is coming but I give Archie props for looking under every stone. 

37 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Of course he is probbaly worried.  We  have eleven  roster players  and  four  or them were injured last year.  We sustain two or three major injuries again and we are in trouble. 

It is a gamble with a small roster.   And in a physical conference you have to expect players will miss time.

Go Hoosiers!!!

50 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Its just not us after this kid. Over a dozen High Major teams.

So that to me sounds like there's a damn good chance he'll play college ball next year.   Why on earth would you take the SAT if not?  What was it that Snow said yesterday???  I'd love to see him at a division 1 program just to show how little that guy knows.  Lol

Go Hoosiers!!!

22 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So that to me sounds like there's a damn good chance he'll play college ball next year.   Why in earth would you take the SAT if not?  What was it that Snow said yesterday???  I'd love to see him at a division 1 program just to show how little that guy knows.  Lol

Go Hoosiers!!!

Ya ever think he has exhausted his possibilities?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Ya ever think he has exhausted his possibilities?

Snow said the chances were slim that he would play college ball.  I have no idea what possibilities he has.  I'm guessing stay overseas and play pro ball or come back to the US while he still has eligibility.

I saw talk that Vanderbilt had shown interest as well btw.  

Go Hoosiers!!! 

18 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Snow said the chances were slim that he would play college ball.  I have no idea what possibilities he has.  I'm guessing stay overseas and play pro ball or come back to the US while he still has eligibility.

I saw talk that Vanderbilt had shown interest as well btw.  

Go Hoosiers!!! 

I do believe he played youth ball under Stackhouse?  It was in one of the links that have been posted.

20 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Lets go  get this guy!

Guys here saying pass or lets go get him will have to let the coaches decide that. So little info out there. Kind of like the old days. Snow saying this kid won't play in college is just pissing in the wind. Kid would know before reaching out to schools if he can play or not. This one will go fast once scores are known.

Honestly we have next to zilch on how good he is or isn’t. We don’t have a true pg outside Rob and if he missed time again this year you could kiss the NCAA goodbye. I’ll let Archie evaluate if the kid can help. I doubt good or bad he is a 4 year kid...he will either go pro overseas or NBA in a year or two max because he has options either way...it’s a stop gap...like Brunk...since he is 20 this is likely his last chance to take the college route...so he is exploring it based on success by other foreign kids to get discovered and get to the NBA. Whatever the case none of us here will make the decision..Archie will decide if he deserves to play here or not.

The conversation here comes across like the kid is holding all the power here. IIRC, scholarships are awarded on an annual basis. If CAM were to offer a one year deal to this kid, he would have the time to evaluate if the kid is really interested in playing for IU, or if he’s using us for a year. If it’s the former, renew the scholly. The latter, send him packing.

In this situation I don’t think that there would be any fallout that CAM was over recruiting the kid. Either Austin gets it and becomes a student athlete, or he gets exposed for what he is.

Either way, we (CAM) should be in control of the situation, not the kid. 

6 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

Any team that sustains major injuries to 3 of their top 8 is in trouble.

3 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Maybe his academics are an issue -- just a thought.

Could be.  Anytime you bounce around from school to school you have to worry about that.  And he's switched countries 3 times to boot.   My point was not about academics though.  Just saying he must be interested playing college next year unlike one expert writer says.  You dont just take the SAT for no reason.

Go Hoosiers!!!

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The conversation here comes across like the kid is holding all the power here. IIRC, scholarships are awarded on an annual basis. If CAM were to offer a one year deal to this kid, he would have the time to evaluate if the kid is really interested in playing for IU, or if he’s using us for a year. If it’s the former, renew the scholly. The latter, send him packing.

In this situation I don’t think that there would be any fallout that CAM was over recruiting the kid. Either Austin gets it and becomes a student athlete, or he gets exposed for what he is.

Either way, we (CAM) should be in control of the situation, not the kid. 

See I don’t think the kid will have any incentive to sit the bench and waste a scholarship for 2-3 years much less 4...he can leave at anytime and go back to France and get paid. That or if he catches lightening and is successful he will turn his time into an NBA job. The kid won’t hang around any longer than he has too...it works for both sides.

Archived