NCAA Extends 3-Point Line

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/mens-college-basketball-3-point-line-extended-international?amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0_ZN2rd94L4-netsUHPJaP9flkqbQiLz6yXIX-jwctdUxvP4uhYvRyA9o

Good news is this will hopefully open up the game and increase the importance of inside and mid shooting, bad news is we were terrible last year at a shorter distance, so this shouldn't help us much there.

4 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I like both of the rule changes for 3 point line and shot clock only resetting to 20 seconds. 

I think this helps Archie's system a touch ultimately as it tends to focus on the 2 pointer instead of the 3. I'm sure @ADegenerate can run some numbers to confirm though if he's still around these parts! 

He changed his name but I'm not sure what it was and was around for a bit posting long stat driven posts (lectures?) and haven't seen him since.

16 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I like both of the rule changes for 3 point line and shot clock only resetting to 20 seconds. 

I think this helps Archie's system a touch ultimately as it tends to focus on the 2 pointer instead of the 3. I'm sure @ADegenerate can run some numbers to confirm though if he's still around these parts! 

I don’t think it will have a big effect either way... We weren’t going to take or hit threes at a high rate regardless of where they put the line next year.  On the defensive end, I’m not quite sure how it’ll turn out.  My first thought was that it might hurt us a bit considering the main weakness of the packline D seems to be closing out on shooters, but that will probably be offset by the extended line making the three-point shot more difficult/less efficient, especially in the first year.

I like the moves as well. Couple of interesting things to note though imo

- the international 3-point line move both opens the lane and forces defenses to extent further. Ultimately I think that probably helps IU under CAM.

- oddly, teams in the NIT this year shot MORE 3-pointers in the tourney, with the extended line, than they did in the regular season - and with a lower percentage of made threes.,

- live-ball timeout calls in the last 2 minutes (and last 2 minutes of OT), hmm. That will be interesting to watch to see how it pans.

- Instant replay review for goaltending or interference calls in the last two minutes. Good move, imo.

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

- live-ball timeout calls in the last 2 minutes (and last 2 minutes of OT), hmm. That will be interesting to watch to see how it pans.

I don't get this one.  So, if Archie sees that Devonte's game tying 3 pointer with 2 seconds left is going wide. he can call a timeout mid flight of the ball?  :coffee:

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get this one.  So, if Archie sees that Devonte's game tying 3 pointer with 2 seconds left is going wide. he can call a timeout mid flight of the ball?  :coffee:

Lol- that actually happened in one of my oldest son's basketball games when he was like 10. I can still picture it -- it would've been his first 3-pointer. He pulled up and shot a 3 while his coach called a TO. Naturally, it went in, but didn't count. haha. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lol- that actually happened in one of my oldest son's basketball games when he was like 10. I can still picture it -- it would've been his first 3-pointer. He pulled up and shot a 3 while his coach called a TO. Naturally, it went in, but didn't count. haha. 

That rule is ripe for controversy and confusion.  Not sure why it would be considered.  

My main concern for this IU team/coaching configuration is that CAM has struggled to implement "his system" his first two years without any kind of major rule changes. Now this. His teams have struggled to close out on good 3 point shooting teams for the first couple of years, and now they have another 1'+ to get there. Couple that with a roster that has struggled from beyond the arc and I don't see how this rule change is anything but a net negative for the way this team is built. I guess you could make the case that the lane opens up a bit more for driving, but I'm not a bball Xs/Os guy. I dunno. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That rule is ripe for controversy and confusion.  Not sure why it would be considered.  

Why is it confusing...just like a current timeout your team has to be in possession of the ball to call it..player or now coach....if the ball is in the air you can’t call a timeout because you don’t have possession. 

My question is why doesn’t NCAA allow team to advance the ball with a timeout like the NBA...that would create more end game excitement and it works in the NBA why not college. Don’t know why you would make rules that are easier in NBA then college.

11 hours ago, slojoe said:

If they moved the 3 point line to the mid-court line, that would be great for IU.  Although we wouldn't make many 3's, neither would the other teams.

Jordan Bohannon would still find a way to go 8-10 behind the arc against IU.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Why is it confusing...just like a current timeout your team has to be in possession of the ball to call it..player or now coach....if the ball is in the air you can’t call a timeout because you don’t have possession. 

My question is why doesn’t NCAA allow team to advance the ball with a timeout like the NBA...that would create more end game excitement and it works in the NBA why not college. Don’t know why you would make rules that are easier in NBA then college.

I really hate that rule because why should a team be rewarded for just calling a timeout.  I would rather see plays like the Laettner shot or the play that Valpo ran to win on a last second shot.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really hate that rule because why should a team be rewarded for just calling a timeout.  I would rather see plays like the Laettner shot or the play that Valpo ran to win on a last second shot.

I'm with you on this one. Allowing a team to simply advance the ball does nothing more than reward them for not actually doing anything on the court. 

The Wat Shot is how to do it. We advanced the ball, swung it up to Wat, and he drilled it. That's end game excitement.

21 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-06-05/mens-college-basketball-3-point-line-extended-international?amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR0_ZN2rd94L4-netsUHPJaP9flkqbQiLz6yXIX-jwctdUxvP4uhYvRyA9o

Good news is this will hopefully open up the game and increase the importance of inside and mid shooting, bad news is we were terrible last year at a shorter distance, so this shouldn't help us much there.

Certainly will not help Iu on offense but maybe our opponents will his less threes!

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If we were not good at closing out on the 3 point shooter, won't this make it harder for us to close out and therefore make our defense worst?  I am not sure this helps us.  But i could and usually am incorrect

IU wasn't that bad in closing out on 3's last year. We finished 106th in the country in 3pt% defense, not great but still top 1/3 of D1 teams, and finished ahead of other Power 5 schools like UNC, Arkansas, Iowa St., LSU, Seton Hall, Providence, Purdue, Villanova, Kentucky, Auburn and others. 

This change probably ends up a net-neutral for IU, but if it goes either way I would say it helps a little. 

Archived