Farming.

rico

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think Federal Crop Insurance deadline for corn passed June 5th. Soybeans is June 20th. Tough, tough decisions have been made and will be made in the coming week. Read a story this morning. Indiana farmers have less than 1/3 of corn planted, 20% of soybeans. Illinois has 45% of corn while our farmers friends to the south (Kentucky) are fully planted. 

Mother Nature can be very, very cruel sometimes.

As stated, I am no farmer. However, that is good info 6. When people think of a state that grows corn, most think immediately of Iowa.  I have driven the width and breath of Illinois many times.  And man, Illinois grows a lot of corn.

Speaking of Iowa.  I know a lot is still underwater.  Suspect the corn crop will be greatly impacted this year. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rico said:

I helped Dad yesterday.  We got a bunch of seed in the ground.  Still not done.  We need a two day window, it is raining as I type.  Just two days and we will have it in.

Here in Indy it looks rain until tomorrow morning and clear all afternoon Monday, all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Hoping this window will get everyone the help they need.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here in Indy it looks rain until tomorrow morning and clear all afternoon Monday, all day Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Hoping this window will get everyone the help they need.

Better than the report from my area.  Chance of of rain every day this coming week.  Ugh.....2 days, just need 2 days.

Dad got his crop in.  Finished about 9 PM last night.  According to the Ag report on WOWO, only 2/3 of the corn crop has been planted in Indiana.  Sadly only 50% of the soybean crop is in the ground.  Really rough year.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Dad got his crop in.  Finished about 9 PM last night.  According to the Ag report on WOWO, only 2/3 of the corn crop has been planted in Indiana.  Sadly only 50% of the soybean crop is in the ground.  Really rough year.

Glad he got it in. Supposed to be a lot of rain in the forecast over the next week. Hopefully, no washouts for him

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Glad he got it in. Supposed to be a lot of rain in the forecast over the next week. Hopefully, no washouts for him

Most of the guys around here were working around the clock to get it in, including my Dad.  Now "my" attention shifts to cattle farmers.  All the rain makes it very difficult to bale hay.  Most depend on that. 

Thoughts for the farmers who got their crops in. Hopefully today's rain won't cause problems. Just read that Indy area hasn't been snow/rain free on the weekend since February 4th. As someone who was hoping to spend the day on Lake Monroe today....I'm just getting tired of the rain. Especially every weekend. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thoughts for the farmers who got their crops in. Hopefully today's rain won't cause problems. Just read that Indy area hasn't been snow/rain free on the weekend since February 4th. As someone who was hoping to spend the day on Lake Monroe today....I'm just getting tired of the rain. Especially every weekend. 

Yeah, this rain has been something else.  Hell, I can barely get the yard mowed.

23 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah, this rain has been something else.  Hell, I can barely get the yard mowed.

Just under 4 inches of rain yesterday in Indy. Makes it the 15th wettest day ever here. At some point this rain has to stop but I feel like I've been saying that since end of March.

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just under 4 inches of rain yesterday in Indy. Makes it the 15th wettest day ever here. At some point this rain has to stop but I feel like I've been saying that since end of March.

It is just plain  weird.  It is June, it seems like November.

This rain is relentless and ridiculous and I'm so tired of it. Yesterday, in one day, jasper got 4 inches and huntingburg 8 inches. I can't get anything done outside.

I really feel bad for farmers and am thankful my livelihood doesnt depend on the weather. 

My brother's FIL has a good sized farming operation and he works for him and he said they do 100% no till and were able to get all their ground planted but most are struggling this year. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

This rain is relentless and ridiculous and I'm so tired of it. Yesterday, in one day, jasper got 4 inches and huntingburg 8 inches. I can't get anything done outside.

I really feel bad for farmers and am thankful my livelihood doesnt depend on the weather. 

My brother's FIL has a good sized farming operation and he works for him and he said they do 100% no till and were able to get all their ground planted but most are struggling this year. 

Yeah, "no till" saved a bunch here.

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Guess I'm going to have to shop for a hovercraft.  This monsoon is relentless.

Alot of planted fields around me are flooded and getting wasted. What a wild year so far. 

I need a pontoon with a mower deck on it.

Well, I got out with Dad today to survey our crops.  Not good, as of now Pop thinks that 25% of what he got in here is gone.  His place is worse...jsmh.  He will survive as will I...but there are gonna be some that lose their farms.  

14 hours ago, rico said:

Well, I got out with Dad today to survey our crops.  Not good, as of now Pop thinks that 25% of what he got in here is gone.  His place is worse...jsmh.  He will survive as will I...but there are gonna be some that lose their farms.  

Sorry to hear that. Been my fear all week long. Don't think people understand the full ripple effects these rains will cause from corn to hay to livestock to food prices,etc....just a horrible June. Long term forecasts suggest some higher temps and much needed drying out after this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry to hear that. Been my fear all week long. Don't think people understand the full ripple effects these rains will cause from corn to hay to livestock to food prices,etc....just a horrible June. Long term forecasts suggest some higher temps and much needed drying out after this weekend.

Well said...and yeah, I don't think a lot of people understand how it will affect them at the grocery store.

Not wanting to start a new thread for this.

You guys talking about the rain. Certainly not great.  What an unusual season.

Here in Colorado. We have had a lot of rain. More is expected today. As I posted above, the latest I have ever planted.  Today. Damaging hail predicted on the front range.  I have most of my tender plants covered. Just in case.

AND.... we are getting snow, today. Albeit in the high country. Which has already had record snowfalls.  Some areas hit over 1,500 % of normal ! And several ski areas saying they will be able to stay open past July 4th. Something that has never happened before. And many of the reservoirs, that generally don't fill up till later in the year, are already full and overflowing. Rapids are running wild. And have already caused two rafting deaths.  California is going to be getting a larger than normal share of Colorado water this year. All that, unlike in the Midwest is good news for us, here in the West. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

EPA is also considering increasing ethanol percentage is gas. Really hope they drop that idea for multiple reasons.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

EPA is also considering increasing ethanol percentage is gas. Really hope they drop that idea for multiple reasons.

I already thought they did?  From 10% to 15%?  But I also thought that was from June 1st through September 30th.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not wanting to start a new thread for this.

You guys talking about the rain. Certainly not great.  What an unusual season.

Here in Colorado. We have had a lot of rain. More is expected today. As I posted above, the latest I have ever planted.  Today. Damaging hail predicted on the front range.  I have most of my tender plants covered. Just in case.

AND.... we are getting snow, today. Albeit in the high country. Which has already had record snowfalls.  Some areas hit over 1,500 % of normal ! And several ski areas saying they will be able to stay open past July 4th. Something that has never happened before. And many of the reservoirs, that generally don't fill up till later in the year, are already full and overflowing. Rapids are running wild. And have already caused two rafting deaths.  California is going to be getting a larger than normal share of Colorado water this year. All that, unlike in the Midwest is good news for us, here in the West. 

Good friend of mine that moved from Indy out there last year is all excited about A Basin having skiing for July 4th. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good friend of mine that moved from Indy out there last year is all excited about A Basin having skiing for July 4th. 

This should make your friend happy. Up to 8 inches of snow projected overnight, tonight (June 21) for A Basin. 

Archived