Jump to content

Have you ever had to perform CPR ?


Recommended Posts

I have worked for companies that have put me through CPR classes.

Really think it is important.  Thank God, I have never had to use it. 

How about you ?  Do you know how to perform CPR ?  And have you ever had to use it ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have worked for companies that have put me through CPR classes.

Really think it is important.  Thank God, I have never had to use it. 

How about you ?  Do you know how to perform CPR ?  And have you ever had to use it ? 

 I did once. I was a waiter at The Tudor Room at IMU during my college years. Long story short. I screwed up my freshman year and Dad made me get a job for time management skills,etc....the rest of my 3 years at IU. Anyway....the Trustees and other Admin folks would eat there daily. One lunch during my Junior year an older guy collapsed right in the entrance. I called 911 and started to do CPR. Luckily a nurse was there for lunch as well and she took over. Sadly our efforts didn't save the guy. First and only time in my life I did CPR. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

 I did once. I was a waiter at The Tudor Room at IMU during my college years. Long story short. I screwed up my freshman year and Dad made me get a job for time management skills,etc....the rest of my 3 years at IU. Anyway....the Trustees and other Admin folks would eat there daily. One lunch during my Junior year an older guy collapsed right in the entrance. I called 911 and started to do CPR. Luckily a nurse was there for lunch as well and she took over. Sadly our efforts didn't save the guy. First and only time in my life I did CPR. 

Along those lines, I know many higher end restaurants that train their employees in the Heimlich Manuever.   Never been trained on that.  But glad to know others out there that know how to perform it.

Quite a story 6.  Thanks for sharing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Along those lines, I know many higher end restaurants that train their employees in the Heimlich Manuever.   Never been trained on that.  But glad to know others out there that know how to perform it.

Quite a story 6.  Thanks for sharing. 

The namesake of the Heimlich maneuver reportedly never used the technique until May of 2016.  At his senior living community, he saved a fellow resident.  He later died in December of that year at the age of 96.

Never had to perform CPR.  Thankfully, I'm trained and only had to give it on a test dummy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Red Cross certified many times (USAF), but never had to use it.

I remember the first course I took back in 1980. The instructor kept wiping the mouth of the dummy with alcohol after every evaluation.  One guy complained about the taste, and the instructor said, "Quit your crying. It's like kissing Ted Kennedy." Broke us all up.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 7:40 PM, milehiiu said:

Along those lines, I know many higher end restaurants that train their employees in the Heimlich Manuever.   Never been trained on that.  But glad to know others out there that know how to perform it.

Quite a story 6.  Thanks for sharing. 

My niece had to perform the Heimlich on my mother, so I know how important it is! I have had the training but am not currently certified. (Staying Alive) Thankfully, I have never had to use it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the big city fire department,  sadly yes, more than I would like to.  It's quite a surreal experience.  The worst is thumping on an old person's chest who for whatever reason has never gotten a do not resuscitate order in their name.  In my short time on the job I have seen a handful of people under 65 get a natural heart rythem back.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

On the big city fire department,  sadly yes, more than I would like to.  It's quite a surreal experience.  The worst is thumping on an old person's chest who for whatever reason has never gotten a do not resuscitate order in their name.  In my short time on the job I have seen a handful of people under 65 get a natural heart rythem back.  

WOW.

That leads me to another question. I was not aware that you were a first responder. Does that have anything to do with your user name ?  Always felt your username was curious to me. 

And thanks for all that you do, and have done. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

WOW.

That leads me to another question. I was not aware that you were a first responder. Does that have anything to do with your user name ?  Always felt your username was curious to me. 

And thanks for all that you do, and have done. 

Username is from one of my favorite bible verses Galatians 2:20.  

So since I have been a following member throughout the years now, I'm guessing pushing 10+.  I started as a teacher out of college and Army National Guard service.  Did that(taught) for 10 years and after coming home complaining about my frustrations with education I convinced my wife that I had to do something else and the only other thing I ever wanted to do was follow my childhood dream of being a firefighter.  Turning 38 in 5 days with less than 4 years on the job (fire), I have my work cut out for me to stay fit and healthy on this job.  Nights can be long, sleep can be short, and work can be the most grueling thing I've experienced but it's a blast and pleasure to serve and pray I can do it until I'm 62.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Username is from one of my favorite bible verses Galatians 2:20.  

So since I have been a following member throughout the years now, I'm guessing pushing 10+.  I started as a teacher out of college and and Army National Guard service.  Did that for 10 years and after coming home complaining about my frustrations with education I convinced my wife that I had to do something else and the only other thing I ever wanted to do was follow my childhood dream of being a firefighter.  Turning 38 in 5 days with less than 4 years on that job, I have my work cut out for me to stay fit and healthy on this job.  Nights can be long, sleep can be short, and work can be the most grueling thing I've experienced but it's a blast and pleasure to serve and pray I can do it until I'm 62.  

Thank you so much for sharing. Once again, one of the many things I love about Hoosier Sports Nation. We get to know our members as people. Not just as internet posters.

Teaching. Can be a thankless job. Especially when and if you don't have the support of the administration. I know. As my wife taught at the same school for 35 years. She saw the best and worst of administrators during that time.

This Viet Nam era vet thanks you for your service in the NG.

Here's an early happy birthday wish to you. Have a good one.

And lastly.  Thanks for being a following member for so long !  I appreciate it. And I am sure CC does as well. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep, this place is great.  I knew of many of those facts about you and the wife.  My wife now has 13 years complete in the same school system.  It bothers her that people thank me for my service and never do to her.  

Well. Send your wife a great big hug from me.  For all she does, and has done.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...