D-Day

rico

My stepmom's father is a D-Day veteran. Was in the 2nd wave of landings on Utah Beach, and was also in the Holland landings later that September. Recipient of the European Combat Medal and 3 Bronze Stars.

Currently 94 years old, and in fairly decent health. Racked with arthritis and other mobility issues, but mind is still sharp.

To those that jumped out of a landing craft into waist deep water amid rifle and mortar fire, onto the shores of a foreign country occupied by a ruthless dictatorship,carrying only a rifle....that's a level of bravery I can't even begin to imagine. Greatest generation indeed.

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My stepmom's father is a D-Day veteran. Was in the 2nd wave of landings on Utah Beach, and was also in the Holland landings later that September. Recipient of the European Combat Medal and 3 Bronze Stars.

Currently 94 years old, and in fairly decent health. Racked with arthritis and other mobility issues, but mind is still sharp.

To those that jumped out of a landing craft into waist deep water amid rifle and mortar fire, onto the shores of a foreign country occupied by a ruthless dictatorship,carrying only a rifle....that's a level of bravery I can't even begin to imagine. Greatest generation indeed.

Thank him for his service from me.  God Bless.

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This Vietnam Vet stands in a salute, and in awe,  to the amazing men who took part in the invasion.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I had almost forgotten this but I saw it posted on the baseball site I visit.......

http://privateletters.net/featured_pyle.html

I'll be damned. The concept of combat pay was Ernie Pyle's idea. Never would have guessed that.

Aside: Before I clicked on the link, I couldn't help but have GySgt Hartman jump into my head seeing the words "Private" and "Pyle" in such close proximity.

23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'll be damned. The concept of combat pay was Ernie Pyle's idea. Never would have guessed that.

Aside: Before I clicked on the link, I couldn't help but have GySgt Hartman jump into my head seeing the words "Private" and "Pyle" in such close proximity.

Who is Hartman?

Archived