The Resurrection of Vinyl

We've all noticed an increase of vinyl records in stores over the last couple of years.  Recently, I've found myself interested enough to stop and browse.  But, while in Target earlier earlier this evening, it was the first time I seriously said to myself, "Hey Fouls, wouldn't it be cool to start building a collection".  I didn't buy tonight.  We do have something that will play vinyl, but it has become unreliable over the last several years.  About the only time we use it is on Halloween, because we have some real cool Halloween records.   

That said, the bug has bit me.  I think I'm going to explore getting a new player and starting a collection.  So, I ask HSN

• Do you still own vinyl?
  • Do you still have something that will play vinyl?
  • When was the last time you bought vinyl?  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We've all noticed an increase of vinyl records in stores over the last couple of years.  Recently, I've found myself interested enough to stop and browse.  But, while in Target earlier earlier this evening, it was the first time I seriously said to myself, "Hey Fouls, wouldn't it be cool to start building a collection".  I didn't buy tonight.  We do have something that will play vinyl, but it has become unreliable over the last several years.  About the only time we use it is on Halloween, because we have some real cool Halloween records.   

That said, the bug has bit me.  I think I'm going to explore getting a new player and starting a collection.  So, I ask HSN

Yes I do.

Yes I do.

Last week-end of April, this year, at a city wide garage sale in South Whitley, IN

Your post caused me to do some research. Completely forgot about what I have.  But have a lot from the '60's

♫ Cross Me (feat. Chance the Rapper & PnB Rock) | Ed Sheeran

Do have an original Beetles White Album, along with Rolling Stones, and many other groups and individuals from the day. 

Been stored away for years. Gonna have to pull them out, to check on what I have. 

Have many, many vinyl albums but more as collector items. Beatles, Stones, Dylan....all the way up to some early 80's stuff before I switched to tape. I don't have anything that will play vinyl and haven't bought any lately. Indy CD and Vinyl in Broad Ripple is a pretty cool spot to check out classics. Have tons of equipment there too.

While I understand the feelings of nostalgia with vinyl records, I also remember the frustration of owning them. Skipping, not being able to pick out on an album what you wanted to hear (and, although I'm a huge proponent of listening to whole albums, especially the classics, there are some albums, take the aforementioned Beatles White Album and "Revolution #9" that I'd rather have the choice to skip), and having to take care of them like they were the Hope Diamond makes me appreciate Google Play Music and listening to what I want when I want in glorious non-skipping, clean sounding, digital format, all the more.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I understand the feelings of nostalgia with vinyl records, I also remember the frustration of owning them. Skipping, not being able to pick out on an album what you wanted to hear (and, although I'm a huge proponent of listening to whole albums, especially the classics, there are some albums, take the aforementioned Beatles White Album and "Revolution #9" that I'd rather have the choice to skip), and having to take care of them like they were the Hope Diamond makes me appreciate Google Play Music and listening to what I want when I want in glorious non-skipping, clean sounding, digital format, all the more.

So what you are saying is that you are spoiled by technology?  LOL  Me too.

24 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Vinyl not limited to records. Vinyl flooring is also making a comeback. Have you seen the vinyl plank flooring options? I just bought some for my basement.

Glue down or the vinyl-topped laminate (quasi tongue and groove)? I've had some horrible experience with the glue down type.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

So what you are saying is that you are spoiled by technology?  LOL  Me too.

Yeah, I guess so. I bought a 1975 Pontiac Trans Am (400 4 speed, 33,000 miles) with my first USAF re-enlistment bonus in 1983. It was a fun car to drive...In 1983. Would I trade what I drive now for it? Well, considering what I drive now is faster, gets better MPG (32 vs 8 light poles per), more comfortable, and has a ton of modern conveniences, no...

But that's just me...

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sorry, 5F...didn't mean to hijack...in answer to you questions, no, no, and probably some time before I saw a CD player in the BX (1983?).

Now, bring back the Columbia House 12 for a penny, and I might be persuaded...

Yes

Yes

And a couple of months ago (been a while)

I use Spotify for everyday listening at my computer or in the car. When I find albums I really like I'll purchase them on vinyl because I just like to have something that's tangible and I listen to them on weekend mornings with some coffee.  I also like to support the artist. (Purchase albums at the merch tables at concerts if you can - more money goes to the band). 

Tip for growing your album collection. Just throw a message out into the social-media-shpere. As if anybody is willing to sell their collection. A lot of people 60 and up have a bunch of good music boxed up in their basement. They may just give it to you - the satisfaction of the music not going to waste can be good enough sometime. That said, don't overpay - people think their records are worth a lot of money, but they aren't. My dad has the original White Album imported from Britain still in the plastic sleeve that he thought was super valuable - turns out that it only goes for about $15. Same thing with a Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love - Flyback, and again, it's only like $15. Most record stores buy back vinyl super cheap - under a $1 per album. $.25 sometimes.

I also like to preach: DISCOVER NEW MUSIC. Everybody like to bitch about how no good music gets made anymore - the album format is dead - the only good music is from the 60s and 70s - blah blah. If you only listen to the radio or get your music from algorithms this can be true. The truth is, music has never been so accessible - if you take the time to look for it, artists are putting out great stuff and have been pushing innovation. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Tip for growing your album collection. Just throw a message out into the social-media-shpere. As if anybody is willing to sell their collection. A lot of people 60 and up have a bunch of good music boxed up in their basement. They may just give it to you - the satisfaction of the music not going to waste can be good enough sometime. That said, don't overpay - people think their records are worth a lot of money, but they aren't. My dad has the original White Album imported from Britain still in the plastic sleeve that he thought was super valuable - turns out that it only goes for about $15. Same thing with a Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love - Flyback, and again, it's only like $15. Most record stores buy back vinyl super cheap - under a $1 per album. $.25 sometimes.

I also like to preach: DISCOVER NEW MUSIC. Everybody like to bitch about how no good music gets made anymore - the album format is dead - the only good music is from the 60s and 70s - blah blah. If you only listen to the radio or get your music from algorithms this can be true. The truth is, music has never been so accessible - if you take the time to look for it, artists are putting out great stuff and have been pushing innovation. 

I'm not a huge music collector, nor am I a huge garage/yard sale-er, but every garage/yard sale I've ever been to seems to have a box of records, usually around 5 for $1. 

One caveat to your last paragraph: Discover new music....to you.  I'll be the first to admit, I don't dive much outside of the mainstream.  But, there's generally very few genres that I don't listen to, covering the 60s to today.   I guess I like variety vs depth.  But, I'm also never really at a loss of anything to listen to.  So before you write off an entire genre or time period, try a few random selections that you wouldn't ordinarily listen to.  You'd be surprised what may hit you. 

Still own Vinyl, although my collection was seriously depleted in a tragic mistake of putting my collection in the "perfect space for the limited size" where all of the box ended up warped!😖

Still have my BSR 810X with a Newer Shure M91ED cartridge. However!

Been awhile since I played any as the last time the speed was a bit erratic. Thought it was because of a hardening capstan wheel, but have since read it is more likely the antique spindle grease has become gummy! Going to have to dig it out again and try cleaning things up to see what happens.

Going to join the chorus that newer technology makes listening so much easier. (remember the days of buying 45's with only one song on a side, spent more time changing records than listening!) However, it is well documented that the analog sound of vinyl in the right system is superior to the best of digital sound!! If you had pop and skip, you needed a better turntable! And yes you needed to treat the vinyl with care.

My current listening habit on my hour long drive to work is a station that touts itself as "80's, 90's and Now" seriously just tonight it went back to back from Bon Jovi to Ed Sheeran to Prince to Taylor Swift! Keeps you on your toes.

I know I get some strange looks when I pull up at the stop light and people see this grey haired old man with the bass THUMPING to a current hit!😀

True story, had a friend that was bragging he bought a Garrard Zero that was touted in the day as being the best ever! That thought lasted less than a year! However, the kicker is I asked my friend what cartridge he had, his answer was because of cost he went with a ceramic needle instead of diamond! My response was that the  interface between the needle and the vinyl was the more important part and he was wrecking his albums because of his poor choice.

Sound has been in my blood since the 60's Have to tell a story. Please bear with me. Back in the early 70's a music equipment store in Ft Wayne advertised an event of "bring your equipment in and we will tell you how to take your sound to the next level"  it was of course sponsored, by Macintosh one of the premier systems at the time! So my friend and I show up and the guy in front of us had a Crown amp which at the time was considered one of the best!  The tech tests his system and asks what speakers he has, of course the answer resulted in he needed to buy some Macintosh speakers. Next up my friend who had the next level up from mine in the same amp, combined with Bose 901's the premier speaker of the time. The response was he had the wrong amp for the speakers and he needed a Macintosh amp! Next up, with my now 3 levels down amp, the  tech asked me what speakers I had, and I responded Acoustic Research AR 2A's. His response was "sounds pretty good, doesn't it!" You can spend lots of money on sound equipment but if the pieces don't match up? Well you haven't spent your money wisely!

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sorry, 5F...didn't mean to hijack...in answer to you questions, no, no, and probably some time before I saw a CD player in the BX (1983?).

Now, bring back the Columbia House 12 for a penny, and I might be persuaded...

Loved Columbia House,  There was a similar one as well, but I don't remember the name.  I took advantage of both, but not for vinyl.  Alas, i wasted my membership on cassettes.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Loved Columbia House,  There was a similar one as well, but I don't remember the name.  I took advantage of both, but not for vinyl.  Alas, i wasted my membership on cassettes.

BMG

That's how I built my CD collection in the mid 90s. I'd sign up for the 12 for the price of one deal, buy the requisite one CD, then sign the rest of my family up individually, which netted me a couple of bonus cds free, plus the 12 free for signing up. Wound up with probably 60 CDs for about $100 (and CDs were probably about $20 each at the time).

21 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Glue down or the vinyl-topped laminate (quasi tongue and groove)? I've had some horrible experience with the glue down type.

This is water proof laminate with a pvc core. Tongue and groove installation. No glue. Installing in a couple weeks. Excited to see how it looks. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This is water proof laminate with a pvc core. Tongue and groove installation. No glue. Installing in a couple weeks. Excited to see how it looks. 

My sister just had it laid in her laundry room.  Looks great.

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My sister was an accountant for Columbia House in Terre Haute in the mid 90s. She'd take my wife and me into this warehouse full of CDs and VHS tapes (I don't remember seeing any vinyl albums in there) that I guess people had returned or whatever. Still in the shrink-wrap. We could buy all we wanted for a dollar per. Current stuff too. I remember buying Matchbox 20's "Yourself or Someone Like You" there.

My kids never caught on to the fact I was spending about $5 on a stack of CDs for some of their Christmas and Birthday gifts.

Archived