Anyone else gonna watch the World Cup?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll probably take a peak but won't be appointment tv. Soccer and hockey. Just could never get into either. 

This is something about myself that I cannot understand.  I love hockey.  For the life of me, I cannot get into soccer.  I've tried.  I've sat down to watch Premier League or MLS games and it cannot hold my interest. 

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is something about myself that I cannot understand.  I love hockey.  For the life of me, I cannot get into soccer.  I've tried.  I've sat down to watch Premier League or MLS games and it cannot hold my interest. 

I've tried both. Plenty of Blackhawks fans that are friends. My good friend played college soccer at North Carolina. I've tried and tried. They explain multiple layers of strategy to me to make it more appealing....and it just doesn't take. 

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My son started playing youth soccer at 5.  So for 13 years I attended his games.  I still can't get into it.

My older brother's two kids played on scholarship at small colleges in Minnesota. He also reffed quite a bit throughout their playing days. Watching and texting during the games is a way for me to communicate with him on a topic he loves and is passionate about. Worth the time watching just for that.

If I understand the rules correctly total number of goals can potentially have an impact. Yet I wake up this morning and people are complaining about US winning 13-0? Heck with that. That's on the other team. Keep it up ladies since you seem to be the soccer program that represents the USA the best. Guys can't even qualify for the World Cup. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If I understand the rules correctly total number of goals can potentially have an impact. Yet I wake up this morning and people are complaining about US winning 13-0? Heck with that. That's on the other team. Keep it up ladies since you seem to be the soccer program that represents the USA the best. Guys can't even qualify for the World Cup. 

Like anything, there's a spectrum involved. Intentionally keeping your first line out and playing hard when the game is obviously out of reach....not illegal, but not exactly in good taste either. But if your 2nd/3rd string is still racking up points, more power to them.

I don't expect a coach to tell a team to quit trying altogether, but there's no need to be running stunt plays for your first string late in a blowout either.

One of the most dominating games, in any sport I have ever watched. I tuned in because of the local hype of the two ladies on the team that are from Colorado. Actually local ladies.  One does not have to understand the game, in order to appreciate the dominance the USA displayed in their first game.

Hello, Steubby !

On 6/10/2019 at 8:59 AM, Seeking6 said:

I've tried both. Plenty of Blackhawks fans that are friends. My good friend played college soccer at North Carolina. I've tried and tried. They explain multiple layers of strategy to me to make it more appealing....and it just doesn't take. 

Actually, it dawned on me. I was explaining hockey to my 9 year old nephew, and I said "It's similar to soccer, except on ice....while carrying big sticks....with more violence allowed."

Maybe I should watch rugby.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Like anything, there's a spectrum involved. Intentionally keeping your first line out and playing hard when the game is obviously out of reach....not illegal, but not exactly in good taste either. But if your 2nd/3rd string is still racking up points, more power to them.

I don't expect a coach to tell a team to quit trying altogether, but there's no need to be running stunt plays for your first string late in a blowout either.

I listen to sports radio in the background most days while working. Couldn't believe the attention this is getting. Even though I was born in Chicago my first college football game ever was in Orange Bowl in 1983 so I've been a Canes fan my entire life. I subscribe to the theory and those great words by Jimmy Johnson before pounding Notre Dame...."if you get the lead pour it on them and don't let up!"

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, it dawned on me. I was explaining hockey to my 9 year old nephew, and I said "It's similar to soccer, except on ice....while carrying big sticks....with more violence allowed."

Maybe I should watch rugby.

Yes!! You should!  Rugby is very fun to watch.  Rugby World Cup is also this year - https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

This win was huge also because it keeps France out of the Olympics. 

If Sweden can beat Germany tomorrow that will probably keep the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the world out of the Olympics while the US is trying to recapture the Gold. 

And it happens. Big help there. Now cheering for a USA/Netherlands final. 

Eh I don’t think that call was bogus. We have benefitted from the same strict interpretation. 

2 goals from setting the record for goals in a WC

Longest winning streak in WC history

Morgan poised to win the Gold Boot 

Really hoping we get Netherlands despite what oddsmakers are saying. 

Archived