Anyone else gonna watch the World Cup?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ned it is. I know they will be huge underdogs but I think they are going to be a tough opponent. Nothing to lose for them, and all the pressure is on us

Certainly going to be tough but the USWNT team has done amazing work not feeling pressure. 

20 hours ago, btownqb said:

No way I can root for this team. 

What is it for you that's the turn off? For me is just the pure blatant arrogance when you're the best you shouldn't act like that. Just my opinion.  People are celebrating the tea cup set yesterday probably just because it's July 4th but other than that that was a pretty low gesture in my opinion.  The synchronize celebrations against a middle school third world country team.  This may go down as the US best team but it may also go down as the year they fueled everyone's fire to work hard to supplant them.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

What is it for you that's the turn off? For me is just the pure blatant arrogance when you're the best you shouldn't act like that. Just my opinion.  People are celebrating the tea cup set yesterday probably just because it's July 4th but other than that that was a pretty low gesture in my opinion.  The synchronize celebrations against a middle school third world country team.  This may go down as the US best team but it may also go down as the year they fueled everyone's fire to work hard to supplant them.  

The lack of civility in sports has concerned me for some time.

I started playing competitive sports at 7 years old. They kept score. You learned that losing wasn't the end of the world. You learned that winning was great, but consider your opponents and win with grace. You won't always be on the winning side.

And both of those lessons have helped me immensely in getting through life.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

That among other things. There are simply some things you dont do as a member of a NATIONAL team. The blatant disrespect is a common theme on this team. Spoiled brats. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

That among other things. There are simply some things you dont do as a member of a NATIONAL team. The blatant disrespect is a common theme on this team. Spoiled brats. 

Exactly what my wife and I were talking about this morning.  Interestingly in the US, soccer is by and large an upper middle class dominated sport, unlike the vast majority of the world.  To go along with making the national team an opportunity for your political platform.  The womens world soccer team should make what they deserve.  It's a fact that they make more revenue than the men.  Pay them.  But to then attempt and try and get the failing wnba involved.  Tamika Catchins or whoever the top wnba stars may be draw crowds of 5-7k.  Their new argument is to be paid equitable to the men.  It's just not based in any sense of reality.  Iirc over half the wnba teams are in the negative.  

Fight with Trump on your own time.  The rest of the team has handled that situation with class though.  About the only time they have shown class.  

If this is political, delete it.  No hard feelings.  

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly what my wife and I were talking about this morning.  Interestingly in the US, soccer is by and large an upper middle class dominated sport, unlike the vast majority of the world.  To go along with making the national team an opportunity for your political platform.  The womworld 3ns soccer team should make what they deserve.  It's a fact that they make more revenue than the men.  Pay them.  But to then attempt and try and get the failing wnba involved.  Tamika Catchins or whoever the top wnba stars may be draw crowds of 5-7k.  Their new argument is to be paid equitable to the men.  It's just not based in any sense of reality.  Iirc over half the wnba teams are in the negative.  

Fight with Trump on your own time.  The rest of the team has handled that situation with class though.  About the only time they have shown class.  

If this is political, delete it.  No hard feelings.  

There's really no other way to see it. Good post. 

Some good points made about the political debates and the pay disparity but what shocks me is people getting on them about celebrating.

Nobody would ever say that about a men's basketball player.  LeBron flexes every time he dunks it seems like.  Others tell the crowd to "shush" by putting a finger to their mouth.  None of their celebrations were out of line.  Even England players are saying so.

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Some good points made about the political debates and the pay disparity but what shocks me is people getting on them about celebrating.

Nobody would ever say that about a men's basketball player.  LeBron flexes every time he dunks it seems like.  Others tell the crowd to "shush" by putting a finger to their mouth.  None of their celebrations were out of line.  Even England players are saying so.

Yeah this strikes me as  just repositioned outrage. People upset they are demanding equality are using things to fuel a negative image of the team. Most of the flack I have heard was criticizing the double digit goal celebrations  

So Morgan wasn’t supposed to celebrate scoring her 4th goal. A feat I don’t think she’s done as a member of the National team and I know she hasn’t done in the WC. 

Pugh wasn’t supposed to celebrate her first ever WC goal   Which tied a team record  

Morgan wasn’t supposed to celebrate her 5th goal in a WC.  Something I think only one other person has done  Which set a new record  

And Lloyd wasn’t supposed to celebrate setting a new team record  

Athletes celebrate when they accomplish something it’s the way it is. And if the other countries to get upset about celebrations to motivate them to get better then they are never going to have the drive to supplant the US team. 

Proof that celebrating is not limited to the USWNT 

And in regards on critiquing Rapinoe for fighting with Trump(which is a stretch by any standard of the word fighting). What was she supposed to do a reporter asked her a question?

Had she declined to answer it the same people would she would be entitled and should understand part of her job is to answer questions.

If she had lied she’d get flack when it came out she lied. 

If she gave a non answer she’d be said the be cagey and uncooperative. 

It also strikes me as quite hilarious that a women's soccer player is supposed to be "above the fray" but we don't hold the President to the same standard that we're applying to her in the same sentence.  

Are we really holding a women's soccer player to a higher standard than the President of the United States?

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Like, do we tell Trump to fight with Rapinoe... on "his own time" or something like that?

How hard is it to stand for the national anthem when you're playing for the NATIONAL team? Absolutely top 5 most disrespectful thing I've ever seen and there is ZERO chance she should be allowed on that team moving forward. 

I'm honestly astonished so many don't have an issue with this. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not in the past at all when the brat currently is kneeling. Karma she got hurt. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So many in the country don't understand.. you don't have to like someone, or agree with someone to get along with them. It's too bad Rapinoe isn't mature enough to grasp that. 

Calling her a brat is Mature?  

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How hard is it to stand for the national anthem when you're playing for the NATIONAL team? Absolutely top 5 most disrespectful thing I've ever seen and there is ZERO chance she should be allowed on that team moving forward. 

I'm honestly astonished so many don't have an issue with this. 

Is number 1 when The president of the United States sat and talked during the national anthem?

Just now, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm guilty of engaging but gonna say we have to redirect back to soccer or it gets locked.  

Sure thing. Talk about making the next WWC 32 team Tourney. 

Doesnt really affect the US all that much. Due to needing an extra couple venues could potentially help the US if they wanted to jump in and host. 

Know they are already planning a bid for 2027 so not sure how interested they are.

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As I said they can’t win 

Answer the question - vitriol for answering 

Dont answer the question - different but equal vitriol for not answering  

Celebrate accomplishments - grandstanding

Dont celebrate - Arrogant. 

When the NFL cracks down on celebrations people call them the No Fun League. When women celebrate they are called bad sports. 

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

As I said they can’t win 

Answer the question - vitriol for answering 

Dont answer the question - different but equal vitriol for not answering  

Celebrate accomplishments - grandstanding

Dont celebrate - Arrogant. 

When the NFL cracks down on celebrations people call them the No Fun League. When women celebrate they are called bad sports. 

You don't kneel during the national anthem as a national team.. it's really not difficult. Why can't you understand that? 

Archived