Anyone else gonna watch the World Cup?

I have zero problem with celebrations.  Celebrations that mock an entire nation, one that is probably our closest ally.  It wasnt below the belt, just below world's best class.  Choreographed celebrations are cool and fun and no one would care but doing them up 10-13?  If your kids ball team was getting smashed by 35 in the 4th quarter and the other team was grandstanding, hell, in the United States there would be a parents brawl in the stands and it would make national news.  LeBron hushing the golden state crowd, thats real equal to national mockery.  

Not sure how the pay equality got twisted.  I literally said pay them what they are worth.  Literally said it's a fact they bring in more revenue than the men followed by "pay them."  Are you actually advocating that Candice Parker gets paid the same as LeBron?   Because if you are, and they did that for one month out of their season, there would be no wnba because of bankruptcy.  

Nowhere in anyone's posts on this thread has anyone taken up for Trumps behavior, which has been historically low class and unpresidential.  In this case he actually handled the rapone f the white house comment with about as much class as rapones teammates.  Should he have ignored it? 100% 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Second request to direct the conversation back to the game and away from the politics. 

This isn't political or at least I didn't think it was. It was just an article about the national team, I thought and their thoughts on the subject. 

I wouldn't have posted if I thought it was political. 

The Dutch were a worthy opponent and played their hearts out. US was just a more talented team. Congratulations to the team and Coach Ellis for handling all the media attention, very high expectations, and the most competitive field yet in the WWC. Eight teams made the quarterfinals. Seven European teams and the US. We proved to be better than all that was put in front of them.

Again, congratulations to USWNT!

Ok I'm posting this because I want to talk about this from a strictly financial perspective and because I am not overly educated on the topic... if the men bring in this much money and the women bring in that much money.. why should they be paid equal? Again.. just bnb trying to understand the numbers. I have heard that comparatively with the money they each bring in.. the men get paid less. 

Screenshot_20190708-114749_Twitter.jpg

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok I'm posting this because I want to talk about this from a strictly financial perspective and because I am not overly educated on the topic... if the men bring in this much money and the women bring in that much money.. why should they be paid equal? Again.. just bnb trying to understand the numbers. I have heard that comparatively with the money they each bring in.. the men get paid less. 

Screenshot_20190708-114749_Twitter.jpg

Considering the men’s team didn’t make the World Cup that’s just a great reason why the women should be paid more. Since the men’s team should get 0% Even then that’s a huge case of misdirection since the women aren’t suing FIFA 

They are suing the US Federation.  An organization that they and the men’s team are a part of and atm the women’s team generates more revenue for  

so if you want to use supply and demand as the argument instead of equality then that’s fine and somebodies right.  But supply and demand would dictate the women should be paid more from the federation than men

Very nice of the ladies to settle for equality in their lawsuit if you ask me 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Considering the men’s team didn’t make the World Cup that’s just a great reason why the women should be paid more. Since the men’s team should get 0% Even then that’s a huge case of misdirection since the women aren’t suing FIFA 

They are suing the US Federation.  An organization that they and the men’s team are a part of and atm the women’s team generates more revenue for  

so if you want to use supply and demand as the argument instead of equality then that’s fine and somebodies right.  But supply and demand would dictate the women should be paid more from the federation than men

Very nice of the ladies to settle for equality in their lawsuit if you ask me 

Are there numbers anywhere of what the us federation makes?

Helpful article from WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

I think this is a great discussion if it stays as an intellectual exercise with meaningful, informed posts trying to have a discussion.  When it becomes short, tit-for-tat posts is when we think it veers more political and less helpful.  Thanks to Btownqb for starting the discussion.

15 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Helpful article from WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/08/are-us-womens-soccer-players-really-earning-less-than-men/

I think this is a great discussion if it stays as an intellectual exercise with meaningful, informed posts trying to have a discussion.  When it becomes short, tit-for-tat posts is when we think it veers more political and less helpful.  Thanks to Btownqb for starting the discussion.

I read that article as well about half an hour ago. It seemed really helpful. I believe after reading it.. it seemed like automatically saying who.makes more is a bit more confusing than black and white, but it does appear that the womens team should be allowed to get more bonus money than they do. I'd like to here the USF opinions on why they don't. I assume they stay fairly quiet for PR issues. 

I was living in Chicago in 1994 when the city hosted the men's world cup. It was crazy fun.

The men's tournament attracts more in total revenue, attendance, eyeballs on TV sets, sponsorships, etc. But the USSF is a non-profit organization with a mission to "enhance, assist and grow the sport of soccer in the United States, with a special emphasis on underserved communities."

The women are doing that in spades. The men, not so much.

Pay the women accordingly.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

I will jump back in.  It is a supply and demand world and that includes sports.  Let's face it...men's sports make more money.

Well A) Title IX doesn’t care about supply and demand and B) The USWNT makes more than the USMNT so would you be ok with the women being paid more?

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well A) Title IX doesn’t care about supply and demand and B) The USWNT makes more than the USMNT so would you be ok with the women being paid more?

Title IX does not apply here...but yeah, the women should be paid more and the USMNT needs to get their sh** together.

Archived