Anyone else gonna watch the World Cup?

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This is not a dictionary definition but the market is the supply and demand for talent. In this case, the wages for soccer players. They can only be paid based upon the revenues they generate. If you pay more than the "market" will bear, you will be overpaying and going into debt / bankruptcy. Forbes mentions the Mens World cup generated much more so the "market" allows them to get paid more. The women actually get a higher %- but from less revenues. Those are the "realities" of the market. As @NotIThatLives pointed out, you cannot pay Candace Parker what LeBron makes. That is the market reality.

Yep. As I said above your post.  Strike while the iron is hot.

And as I said. As you commented.  It is complicated.  However, I believe both you and I have made it easier to understand.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This is not a dictionary definition but the market is the supply and demand for talent. In this case, the wages for soccer players. They can only be paid based upon the revenues they generate. If you pay more than the "market" will bear, you will be overpaying and going into debt / bankruptcy. Forbes mentions the Mens World cup generated much more so the "market" allows them to get paid more. The women actually get a higher %- but from less revenues. Those are the "realities" of the market. As @NotIThatLives pointed out, you cannot pay Candace Parker what LeBron makes. That is the market reality.

See Milehiiu's response above for another way to look at it.

FIFA doesn't pay the US soccer teams though. The USSF does. (Learned this yesterday so now I'm an expert lol)

But.. the only reason I can think of with the pay gap is something like... the USSF believes paying the men more and putting more resources into the men will allow them to compete with the world on an international stage. The rest of the world basically does not care about womens soccer, no that's not an opinion.. it's just not that big of a deal to them. 6 billion vs 131 million cannot be ignored. 

So.. the USSF gives more money and resources to the men so they can stay internationally relevant, or something along those lines. The women did bring in more money (marginally) in the last few years for their games, but that isn't the total revenue for the USSF. 50% of revenues are brought in by sponsorship.. and we can't attribute that money to either team. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FIFA doesn't pay the US soccer teams though. The USSF does. (Learned this yesterday so now I'm an expert lol)

But.. the only reason I can think of with the pay gap is something like... the USSF believes paying the men more and putting more resources into the men will allow them to compete with the world on an international stage. The rest of the world basically does not care about womens soccer, no that's not an opinion.. it's just not that big of a deal to them. 6 billion vs 131 million cannot be ignored. 

So.. the USSF gives more money and resources to the men so they can stay internationally relevant, or something along those lines. The women did bring in more money (marginally) in the last few years for their games, but that isn't the total revenue for the USSF. 50% of revenues are brought in by sponsorship.. and we can't attribute that money to either team. 

As the Forbes article mentioned, the women actually get a higher %- of less revenue. Its unclear if that revenue is what the USSF gets but I'd imagine there would be some relation. 

If the women make soccer more popular, when they reach the same revenues as the men, they would seem to be in line to get paid much more as they are getting a higher % of the revenues than the men. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

As the Forbes article mentioned, the women actually get a higher %- of less revenue. Its unclear if that revenue is what the USSF gets but I'd imagine there would be some relation. 

If the women make soccer more popular, when they reach the same revenues as the men, they would seem to be in line to get paid much more as they are getting a higher % of the revenues than the men. 

There's some truth to what you're saying. There's way more to this than the media is reporting. 

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's some truth to what you're saying. There's way more to this than the media is reporting. 

There is also more to it than what is being put up in this thread.  All of us are looking at the "broad strokes."  How much does the USWNT generate from merchandise?

Archived