Privatization of Athletic Dept.

Evidently, Florida State is privatizing their athletic department. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/os-sp-fsu-athletics-0608-20190609-osc2hupcmfhvhdoeb32rquvw7m-story.html

Evidently Florida and Central Florida have had a similar set up for years. 

Is this a step IU should take? Seems like the southern schools are a step ahead of the legal game. 

Interesting. At first glance it seems to me FSU is doing this purely for self interests. Less transparency, don't have to do foia requests, puts caps on exposure to lawsuits all the while not having to disclose $ or how they receive or spend it. 

Considering they have a pretty big deficit (and it's growing) I'm sure they don't want many eyes peaking in on their books. Seems to me this is just a legal way to cover up their past AD's ineptness. Wouldn't fly at IU. If I were an AD I'd want to be as transparent as possible.

I’ve said in the past I’m not opposed to paying players. Make them employees and not student athletes to get around Title IX. I think this is a step in that general direction. I can see basketball and football privatizing down the road. 

I was reading a Michigan message board that a poster was saying OSU and PSU athletic departments are already privatized. Interesting if true  

Archived