Pet Peeves

Used to do a fair amount of air travel but now it's limited to just a few trips each year. For our posters who travel the skies often I'm sure they could add several. My few are those who try to run up the aisle and get off plane before others, people who take their shoes off while flying to be comfortable, those who can't seem to talk at a normal tone to the person next to them, and the window seat passenger who gets up 4-5x during a flight. Was on a flight from Indy to Atlanta few weeks ago. Air travel is about 1 hr 15 minutes. This must have been some active bladder because it was 4x during the flight alone. Never an offer of I'm sorry or whatever. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Used to do a fair amount of air travel but now it's limited to just a few trips each year. For our posters who travel the skies often I'm sure they could add several. My few are those who try to run up the aisle and get off plane before others, people who take their shoes off while flying to be comfortable, those who can't seem to talk at a normal tone to the person next to them, and the window seat passenger who gets up 4-5x during a flight. Was on a flight from Indy to Atlanta few weeks ago. Air travel is about 1 hr 15 minutes. This must have been some active bladder because it was 4x during the flight alone. Never an offer of I'm sorry or whatever. 

I don't have any to add, but I will say of all the far-fetched futuristic stuff I've ever seen on TV, the Star Trek Teleporter is the one I'd like to see actually developed. Says it all about what I think about air travel.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't have any to add, but I will say of all the far-fetched futuristic stuff I've ever seen on TV, the Star Trek Teleporter is the one I'd like to see actually developed. Says it all about what I think about air travel.

Beam me up Scottie.

11 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Bad tippers.

I've never worked for tips, but it annoys me more than anything when I see people give awful tips. If the service was THAT bad then I understand. But people are usually just being cheap. Drives me nuts. 

All day long. I worked at The Tudor Room during my years at IU. 10% was the write in tip on one of our former President's (may he rest in peace) check every day. He also said to me the first time I waited on him he didn't want any preferential treatment because he was the President but he did ask for an iced tea with 3 lemons cut a certain way the moment I saw him enter the restaurant. His meal was $7.95 every day and charged to IU. So fun getting a .79 cent tip daily from him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Another one. When I agree to a phone call with someone at work and say "how about Tuesday? Let me know some times that work best for you?" and they reply with something like, "Awesome, let's do it!". 

What am I supposed to do with that?

On a similar vein, and has become a running joke in my family.

When someone does something for you, and you say "thank you." I was always taught to respond "you're welcome."

Nowadays, it seems that the response du jour is "no worries." What????

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

When someone does something for you, and you say "thank you." I was always taught to respond "you're welcome."

I'm guilty of that one at times. Though I do usually catch myself, delete and reword. Not sure where it came from. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

A) The Atlanta airport is a pet peeve in and of itself.  Correction: It's either the 3rd or 4th circle of Hell....can't remember which.  The sign outside shouldn't say "Hartsfeld-Jackson International Airport".  It should say "Abandon hope all ye who enter."

B) It's slowed down this year, but from June-November of last year, I flew from Cincinnati to either Dallas or Houston at least 8 times.  And I developed a skill I never thought I'd possess: falling asleep on an airplane.  I started requesting the window seat every time, threw in a pair of actual ear buds (non-Apple, with the rubber insert to help block out ambient noise), put on something from Audible and knocked the F out. Before takeoff in a lot of cases. No putting up with irritating people getting up all the time, talking too loud, or just being assjackets in general. 

And it probably saved me a few pounds, too.  Those damn cookies that Delta gives away are almost up there with Thin Mints for me.  If I'm asleep, I can't request any.  xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's a colloquial/generational thing. 

"You're welcome" doesn't really make much logical sense in this usage.  "No problem" is actually better usage in a logical sense, which implies that the favor was not an imposition and was happily done; it just wasn't the norm until recently.  Consider the Spanish response "de nada," which translates to "it's nothing," and the phrase "you're welcome" seems an odd reply and is a good example of the oddity of the English language.  What, are you inviting me to your house now?

As for my pet peeve; it seems to be a central Indiana quirk to drop the infinitive that comes before a past tense verb.  An example would be "that pie needs baked" or "my car needs repaired."

It honestly drives me NUTS because SO MANY people speak this way here.

3 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

As for my pet peeve; it seems to be a central Indiana quirk to drop the infinitive that comes before a past tense verb.  An example would be "that pie needs baked" or "my car needs repaired."

It honestly drives me NUTS because SO MANY people speak this way here.

What kind of pie?  :coffee:

56 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Wait until a toddler is involved. You get about 3/4 of an inch. And don’t even think about turning over or changing positions. 

One of the mysteries of my life: how a 3 year old human and a 18 pound Boston Terrier can somehow occupy 80% of the available space of a king sized bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1