Pet Peeves

26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Lol. I think I know what you're talking about. That mangy thing was at best 4/10 at best.  Well off the hot/crazy scale. Johnny Deep could slay better. 

well actually, it was honestly about why why we don't put those collars on cats, to start with. But then as I typed, I like you made the Amber heard/ Johnny Depp correlation and it brought back so many memories. But really I did start out tying PET peeves with real life. and then life won out!

Signed

Capt Jack Sparrow.

“Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.”

38 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

well actually, it was honestly about why why we don't put those collars on cats, to start with. But then as I typed, I like you made the Amber heard/ Johnny Depp correlation and it brought back so many memories. But really I did start out tying PET peeves with real life. and then life won out!

Signed

Capt Jack Sparrow.

“Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.”

Cats are the ultimate hunter killer species. Can't tame a tiger. Can't collar a cat. 

And don't dip the wick in crazy, but that's nearly impossible.🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to convince a Boomer that they don't need to print the internet.

My mom: "I found a recipe on Facebook. Will you help me print it?"

Me: "I can just write it down for you."

Mom: "No, I want it printed." 

**15 minutes of unsuccessful attempts to get a printed copy that doesn't span multiple pages, isn't cut off, and isn't wasting a sh*t ton of ink.**

Me: "I could have written it for you by now." 

Mom: "Well, the page should just print like it appears on my iPad!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

**15 minutes of unsuccessful attempts to get a printed copy that doesn't span multiple pages, isn't cut off, and isn't wasting a sh*t ton of ink.**

Wait...

Your Mom is using an iPad, and wants to use a printer I'm guessing is wirelessly attached to said iPad, and you want to "write it down" and she's the technologically challenged one?!?!

Just teasing, bro... Me and my wife are both "boomers" and she thinks "smart" anything should be able to figure out what she wants...and gets irritated when it doesn't...

I did show her how to screenshot a recipe on her iPad then airdrop it to her phone... At least last week she could do it 🙂

• Like 1

New pet peeve, the adults that make AAU basketball a cesspool. 

My 12U team just lost in the championship game of our tournament this weekend. My complaint isn't about winning or losing, it's about a lack of integrity. 

We lost by 6 to a team that entered 14 and 15 year olds into the 12U division. Just pathetic for the people that run that program and for their parents who were talking sh*t to us after the game. 

They should be embarrassed they only beat us by 6. 

At the end of the day though, I'm proud of my boys. We battled and fought hard, and the refs even came over and congratulated us after the game for our effort. I'm guessing they realized what was going on. 

Still sucks that adults have to ruin these things!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wait...

Your Mom is using an iPad, and wants to use a printer I'm guessing is wirelessly attached to said iPad, and you want to "write it down" and she's the technologically challenged one?!?!

Just teasing, bro... Me and my wife are both "boomers" and she thinks "smart" anything should be able to figure out what she wants...and gets irritated when it doesn't...

I did show her how to screenshot a recipe on her iPad then airdrop it to her phone... At least last week she could do it 🙂

I have one family member who I think is a lurker so I won't say my sister in law who is a proud IU grad (1994), who lives in Western Burbs of Chicago and I love her dearly got an Ipad just for recipes in the kitchen years ago. 

That recipe stuff is weird. Me? I'm a print it out guy and if it hits it goes in the file. If not....trash. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wait...

She said it was hard to read because of the background. Apparently she thought getting it on paper might alleviate that. 

Like most Boomers, she's stubborn by nature. When she gets an idea in her head, it's almost impossible to talk her out of it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Sounds similar to me yesterday coaching my 75 yr old father of why he doesn't need the Dish TV remote now that he's went total Roku. It got tense a few times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Sounds similar to me yesterday coaching my 75 yr old father of why he doesn't need the Dish TV remote now that he's went total Roku. It got tense a few times.

My wife and Chromecast are the same way. I finally told her "library" on Chromecast = "DVR" on Dish...

Then, the spotlights came on, the June Taylor Dancers came out, the high school band started playing, and all was right with the world... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

People categorizing others as "Boomers, Gen Xers, Millennials, whatever."

People are people...with strengths and weaknesses. I know some very intelligent, tech savvy people my age and older, and I know some young people who don't know how to operate an electric can opener.

Ah, you're just being stubborn... 😉

• Haha 1

Excessive and over the top profanity. I'm not a fuddy duddy or proclaim to be perfect.   I'll drop an f-bomb if I do something like stub my toe or get stopped at a traffic light if I'm in a hurry.  Usually reserve such language when talking to myself.

What I'm talking about is people the cant say 5 words without two of the being profane.  People that do it in front of young children as part of normal conversation.  People that do it on social media.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Excessive and over the top profanity. I'm not a fuddy duddy or proclaim to be perfect.   I'll drop an f-bomb if I do something like stub my toe or get stopped at a traffic light if I'm in a hurry.  Usually reserve such language when talking to myself.

What I'm talking about is people the cant say 5 words without two of the being profane.  People that do it in front of young children as part of normal conversation.  People that do it on social media.

So, you really liked Ruth in Ozark😅

51 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, you really liked Ruth in Ozark😅

I've actually never watched a single minute of Ozark.  I am just not a TV person any more beyond sports.  Even series that I like/enjoy, I don't find myself making time to watch any more.   

On 6/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

People categorizing others as "Boomers, Gen Xers, Millennials, whatever."

People are people...with strengths and weaknesses. I know some very intelligent, tech savvy people my age and older, and I know some young people who don't know how to operate an electric can opener.

I design automated procedures that process millions of lines of data at a time. Yet electric can openers absolutely befuddle me. I can open a can easier with a dull pocket knife than with one of those infernal contraptions. 

• Haha 3

On 6/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, BGleas said:

New pet peeve, the adults that make AAU basketball a cesspool. 

My 12U team just lost in the championship game of our tournament this weekend. My complaint isn't about winning or losing, it's about a lack of integrity. 

We lost by 6 to a team that entered 14 and 15 year olds into the 12U division. Just pathetic for the people that run that program and for their parents who were talking sh*t to us after the game. 

They should be embarrassed they only beat us by 6. 

At the end of the day though, I'm proud of my boys. We battled and fought hard, and the refs even came over and congratulated us after the game for our effort. I'm guessing they realized what was going on. 

Still sucks that adults have to ruin these things!!

Quite often what's wrong with kids starts with what's wrong with the parents.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I design automated procedures that process millions of lines of data at a time. Yet electric can openers absolutely befuddle me. I can open a can easier with a dull pocket knife than with one of those infernal contraptions. 

I refuse to use them. Give me a decent manual can opener every time.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

Quite often what's wrong with kids starts with what's wrong with the parents.

I coached youth baseball for 5 and 1/2 years. I learned quickly to be upfront to parents about their actions at practice and at games, and what the consequences would be. It made a WORLD of difference and we were always receiving compliments from umpires and opposing coaches. 

I don’t tolerate parents yelling at umps/refs, kids, and coaches. I quit umpiring in high school (I’m 35 now) because the parents were so awful. I grew up in a small country town where everyone knew me, and it didn’t matter. Definitely an adult problem ruining youth athletics, and unfortunately only getting worse with violence towards officials growing. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:52 AM, 5fouls said:

Wife and I don’t curse except on very rare occasions, and I agree with you on this. We have two young boys and can’t stand it when people have no filter, even after seeing our kids are there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Wife and I don’t curse except on very rare occasions, and I agree with you on this. We have two young boys and can’t stand it when people have no filter, even after seeing our kids are there. 

My kids are a bit older than yours, but they handle profanity like adults….meaning they’re not in shock hearing it, but have the good sense not to repeat any of it (within earshot of adults anyway). Someone dropped an F-bomb accidentally in front of my 10 year old.  They apologized and without missing a beat, he chimes in “That’s ok…Not the first time I’ve heard it”. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

My kids are a bit older than yours, but they handle profanity like adults….meaning they’re not in shock hearing it, but have the good sense not to repeat any of it (within earshot of adults anyway). Someone dropped an F-bomb accidentally in front of my 10 year old.  They apologized and without missing a beat, he chimes in “That’s ok…Not the first time I’ve heard it”.