Pet Peeves

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I've got a set of $5,000 ear plugs that have amplifiers on them. I thought I wanted to hear other people when they spoke..... Turns out, it was wasted $$. I can hear them fine, but I now know I don't need too. 😄

I have Caldwell electronic shooting muffs. Same thing. Amplifies the bullshit. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

People who set off fireworks not for the display, but for the noise. My neighborhood is full of people lighting M-80's in the days surrounding the 4th each year. Every year on the night of the 4th, there is always a massive explosion that wakes me with a jolt and causes everything in my house to rattle, and it always happens between 2 and 2:30 a.m. Probably some drunken hillbilly. 

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, TheWatShot said:

People who set off fireworks not for the display, but for the noise. My neighborhood is full of people lighting M-80's in the days surrounding the 4th each year. Every year on the night of the 4th, there is always a massive explosion that wakes me with a jolt and causes everything in my house to rattle, and it always happens between 2 and 2:30 a.m. Probably some drunken hillbilly. 

There was some discussion a while back on my neighborhood's social media page about 'that drunken inbred fool'.  I initially agreed with everything they were saying until I discovered they were talking about me.

• Haha 1

Not sure where to put this one, but since there has been some 4th of July idiocy discussion....

The DNR came out last week and said that they were upping their patrols of the lakes, looking for BUIs. We are a small, no-wake lake, so naturally there would be little to no oversight on our lake.

Needless to say, at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon--plenty of day gone for someone to have gotten drunk, some guy and his wife comes out on our lake, going way too fast, and with a small dog standing at the prow. We yelled at them to slow down, which I am sure they didn't hear, but the wife must have said something, as the guy suddenly stopped the boat...sending the dog flying through the air and into the water. Fortunately, the guy had the presence of mind to cut the engine, and from the looks of things, the dog escaped unscathed. They gathered the poor pooch up, and hightailed it back to there cottage, where the boat was parked extremely crooked on its lift. Didn't see anything more of them for the rest of the night.

As momma use to say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People who go to work sick, and make others sick. Last week, I went to get a haircut, and noticed after he started that my barber sounded like he had a cold. Now my nose won't stop running.

One time, I had to spend a whole day at work training a new employee. She coughed the entire day, and it was painful to listen to. I told her, more than once, she could go home and we wouldn't hold it against her. She refused, saying she wasn't really that bad. I ended up missing over a week of work with strep throat and a 103 fever. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

People who go to work sick, and make others sick. Last week, I went to get a haircut, and noticed after he started that my barber sounded like he had a cold. Now my nose won't stop running.

One time, I had to spend a whole day at work training a new employee. She coughed the entire day, and it was painful to listen to. I told her, more than once, she could go home and we wouldn't hold it against her. She refused, saying she wasn't really that bad. I ended up missing over a week of work with strep throat and a 103 fever. 

I hate this too, but feel like it’s changing somewhat after COVID hit the scene.

My staff are encouraged to take sick days if they feel sick and I think they are finally starting to get it. No need to be a hero in our line of work.

I normally send people home (after letting their supervisors know) if I notice someone is obviously sick. They would most likely spread it to someone else and the work can wait or be reassigned. 

Nosy neighbors.  They should mind their own business.

Someone complained about some trash(building scrap mostly) in the back of my truck that was parked by the street and I got a notice of ordinance violation. That was in May and I got rid of some and moved my truck behind my house since I haven't been driving it. Didn't have any follow-up.

Yesterday got a notice of violation and a $250 fine. Two problems with that.  The notice said I have 5 days to come into compliance. Wrong.  Indiana statue IC 36-1-6-2 says I have at least 10. Also, the notice and ticket for the fine were dated 16 July 2022, therefore I didn't get the allotted time to come into compliance.  

I have already informed the building commissioner of these discrepancies and that I won't be paying anything. And also, if he wants to push the issue I told him I will file an anonymous complaint for every property within city limits that violates the same ordinance.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

People on the subway or bus playing video games or watching videos on their phone w/o headphones. 

I am so worried that I will snap one day and knock someone’s phone out of their hands…

If I die in an act of violence it will be because I react to the guy next to/ behind me whose car stereo makes my windows rattle. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

When a weather map is posted on social media, with a well-known city near the center, and someone comments "where is this?" 

I sent an email last week to 2 people, Our AR gal and a customer. It was short and to the point. 2 lines.

"Hey AR girl - Customer has an issue with an invoice, will you please help him?

Hey Customer - Will you please email that invoice to our AR girl so she can research it? "

10 min go by I get an email from AR girl. Hey Joe, there was no invoice attached to your email so I have no idea how to help. ....

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

People that give driving directions using North, South East and West. Who the hell they think I am, Christopher Columbus? Just say left or right I can figure that out

Billingsley99:  "Excuse me, how do we get to the interstate?"

Directions:  "Well, first you sail left to the West Indies . . ."

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

People that give driving directions using North, South East and West. Who the hell they think I am, Christopher Columbus? Just say left or right I can figure that out

Worst directions I ever received, had just taken a new job in a new state. Coworker was giving directions and said “turn left where the Shell station used to be”. I said “how the hell am I supposed to know where the that is?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you ever drive out in the New Jersey area, they have convenience stores called "Wawa." Can't throw a rock without hitting one. 

I swear, in over 20 years of driving out there I have never gotten directions that didn't include a "take a left/right at the Wawa." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Billingsley99:  "Excuse me, how do we get to the interstate?"

Directions:  "Well, first you sail left to the West Indies . . ."

For many years my wife told me where to go but that was not so pleasant.  Now I pay way to much money for this English accent lady to tell me when to turn left or right. She has never once said turn  North at the next stop light

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you ever drive out in the New Jersey area, they have convenience stores called "Wawa." Can't throw a rock without hitting one. 

I swear, in over 20 years of driving out there I have never gotten directions that didn't include a "take a left/right at the Wawa." 

Worst part is you can't even pump your own gas. I swear i thought we were getting car jacked the firstt time we got gas in Jersey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1